Monday, September 23, 2019

Departments of Motor Vehicles in states around the country are taking drivers' personal information and selling it to thousands of businesses, including private investigators who spy on people for a profit, Motherboard has learned.

Comments

No ----. It is an easy source of revenue.

#1 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-09-23 07:09 AM | Reply

Just read where Bernie announced a new plan that would eliminate $81 billion in Americans' past-due medical bills.
I thought it was a pie-in-the-sky proposal. Now I can see that a Medicare-for-all plan that sells our personal info would pay for itself.

#2 | Posted by 6thPersona at 2019-09-23 10:43 AM | Reply

There are a few companies that have access. Some enforce federal law with onsite inspections and other safeguards to protect the data. Some don't.

Law firms can easily get access.

#3 | Posted by Sycophant at 2019-09-23 11:57 AM | Reply

It's good for revenue so is definitely a tool that should be used; they should not modify the law. What they should include in the law are actual pricing points. Make it cost $5k for one field of data. When the person hiring the PI sees how much they have to pay, they will most likely not do it unless it is for a truly serious reason. That will reduce the abuse but probably still keep revenue coming in. Just a thought. I just don't want them to stop the government from selling data as long as it is done responsibly. It is too good of a revenue stream that would otherwise have to come from our pockets by way of taxes.

#4 | Posted by humtake at 2019-09-23 12:03 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by 6thPersona

How would it pay for itself? Just curious - keep in mind HIPAA.

#5 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-09-23 01:07 PM | Reply

It seems the consumer should get something out of it like free registration fees or a special tag with Zuckerburg's mug on it since that is probably from where they learned the trick.

#6 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-23 01:11 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by humtake

I will 100% disagree. A license is MANDATED in order to drive. No drivers license? State IDs are MANDATED for some things. Registration is MANDATED in order to drive a vehicle on the road. In other words there are legal requirements involved and not 100% willing marketplace transactions.

It isn't used for just PIs and that is some serious BS when it comes to that kind of stuff. They sell it to anyone - all the BS scam insurance mailers I get once I register a vehicle... Ugh. As said in the article, abuses are proven as well.

#7 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-09-23 01:12 PM | Reply

"How would it pay for itself? Just curious - keep in mind HIPAA.

#5 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE "

I would agree that HIPAA should prevent disseminatin of private medical records, but I would put nothing past the US government

#8 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-23 01:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I don't disagree with you - leave it to the government - I can't get my wife's prescription without written documentation but they would find away to sell the info...

BTW- They don't make enough on the data from what I was reading to pay for the freebee idea. At least they could put a good high price on it.

#9 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-09-23 02:27 PM | Reply

How would it pay for itself? keep in mind HIPAA.
#5 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE

Humtake said the magic phrase, 'revenue stream'.
IMO, when it comes to revenue streams, government is akin to Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors, "Feed me Seymour".
How many times has our government told us that this or that will never happen, until the revenue stream becomes impossible for them to resist, laws or not.

#10 | Posted by 6thPersona at 2019-09-23 04:04 PM | Reply