Friday, October 04, 2019

The Beatles celebrated Abbey Road's anniversary with a suite of beautifully presented packages released worldwide on September 27, 2019 by Apple Corps Ltd./Capitol/UMe.

Comments

"On August 8, 1969, the world's most famous band stepped out from London's EMI Recording Studios to stride, single-file, across the black and white stripes of Abbey Road's nearby zebra crossing.

With photographer Iain Macmillan balanced on a stepladder and one policeman stopping the street's light traffic, The Beatles crossed back and forth three times, led by John Lennon, followed by Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison.

Just six photos were taken, with the fifth selected as the cover shot for The Beatles' penultimate studio album, Abbey Road, named after the tree-lined street in which the studios are located."

"Abbey Road presented with new mixes in stereo, 5.1 surround, and Dolby Atmos; expanded with previously unreleased session recordings and demos."

Songs from the album previewed at the thread link.

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2019-10-04 02:17 PM | Reply

The Beatles - Oh! Darling (2019 Mix / Audio)

www.youtube.com

more of the new mix of Abbey Road

www.youtube.com

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2019-10-04 02:24 PM | Reply

Been trying to nail down the guitar part on this song recently. The strumming pattern is hard for me to pick up (no pun intended).

Just listened to this new mix. It's better than the 2009 mix that's currently on Spotify. I think I kinda like the original better though it's been decades since I listened to it on headphones so I can't confirm.

#3 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-10-04 02:54 PM | Reply

"released September 26, 1969"

A good vintage - just 2 days after I was born.

Side note: not sure exactly but there are things that cause my boxer mix pooch to howl. Certain classic violin tunes and sirens are a couple. But the wife had "let it be" playing the other day and he went into a deep long howl.

#4 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-10-04 02:57 PM | Reply

The last link in #2 has all the songs from the album. One of the comments is that the 2009 version the drums are in your left ear, in this one they are behind your head, lol.

Pretty neat to see the original in studio session artists and engineers listed below the songs. Billy Preston on organ, Alan Parsons among the engineers.

Still listening to the whole album, and it's so fine no matter any techy sound debates there will be. I prolly haven't heard it all since 2009.

It sticks with me; I was avoiding the Vietnam War when it first came out, and still upset about RFK and Martin.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2019-10-04 03:00 PM | Reply

There are also a bunch of demos and studio takes at the end of the playlist at #2.

#6 | Posted by Corky at 2019-10-04 03:07 PM | Reply

How can we work Trump into this thread?

--Zed

#7 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-10-04 03:09 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

DebbieDownerfidian managing to werk Trump into this thread, and blaming someone else as usual.

Sad.

#8 | Posted by Corky at 2019-10-04 03:20 PM | Reply

--I was avoiding the Vietnam War

Just like Trump!
--Zed

#9 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-10-04 03:22 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Okay....that was funny.

#10 | Posted by eberly at 2019-10-04 03:24 PM | Reply

#9 |

TrumpTrollifidian.

It just can't help itself.

So much for a nice non-political Beatles/music thread.

Sad.

#11 | Posted by Corky at 2019-10-04 03:25 PM | Reply

Back when the entire Beatles catalog was digitized, there were rumors (or maybe I should say, rumours) that it was done at a quite high sampling rate for the time. I saw one mention that it was 384kHz/32bits (384/32).

The catalog was released in 2009 on CD (44.1/16). Concurrently, there was a limited release of the catalog on a USB drive. That was 44.1/24, (maybe 48/24, memory is hazy on that).

Then there was the "Love" DVD-Audio disc that had songs at 96/24. *That* sounds quite good.

One of the 5.1 remixes of Beatles songs had Ringo sitting in back of you. That sounded a bit odd, to say the least.

While I wonder how this re-release set will sound, I'm probably going to pass.

I have the albums from the 60's, plus some Mobile Fidelity vinyl of selected albums, and the CD release of their catalog from 2009.

I don't need yet another version of the Beatles catalog. :)

#12 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-10-04 03:40 PM | Reply

I own every Beatle recording. Band and solo, official and bootleg. Abbey Road is them at their peak, firing on all four cylinders. Giles remix is incredible, but, I do miss some of the bits from the original. Great work regardless.

#13 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-10-04 05:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

$92.00

I don't think so.

#14 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-10-04 09:15 PM | Reply

Lee,

I've purchased every album in different formats over and over again.

There are Alternate albums you can get that are more outtakes.

But $92?

At my age my ears just can't tell the difference.

Though I am curious.

What artists today will still have the same level of interest as The Beatles nearly 55 years from now?

Personally, I loved the Beatles during the magic years and still listen to their music occasionally.

People may not know it but there was a time when Elton John was nearly at the same level.

He just didn't retire and has sort of drained the well.

#15 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-10-04 09:54 PM | Reply

Fascinating being a fly on the wall while they are working on the Abbey Road album in the studio... different takes on familiar songs, even some different lyrics until they find the final sound they want... the banter between them.

scroll down to the Takes and Demos.... for free

www.youtube.com

#16 | Posted by Corky at 2019-10-04 10:01 PM | Reply

"Young people today have never seen the insane level of adoration enjoyed by The Beatles."

I didn't live through it and it looks more hype than anything I've ever seen. I've never heard a recording as drown out by the crowd as the Hollywood Bowl (not that I've gone looking).

But I suspect it was a phenomenon that has analogues in other times and cultures, especially the part where young women fall madly in love with beautiful princes or ugly drummers or what have you.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-10-04 10:33 PM | Reply

"Released September 26, 1969, Abbey Road was not The Beatles' final album..."

Abbey Road was the last album the Beatles recorded, but not the last one to be released which was Let It Be.

www.thebeatles.com

#18 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-04 10:55 PM | Reply

I was like 12 and listening to folk and rock and roll, Dylan and Chubby Checker, the Everly Bros etc, when "I Want to Hold Your Hand" came out in the US. I almost gagged it was so sugary.

But it was just the first thunder of the Brit Invasion, and later they became something altogether different with a sound that was their own.

Everly Brothers- "All I Have To Do Is Dream/Cathy's Clown" 1960

www.youtube.com

#19 | Posted by Corky at 2019-10-04 10:59 PM | Reply

"Released September 26, 1969, Abbey Road was not The Beatles' final album, as Let It Be followed in 1970, but it was the last one John, Paul, George, and Ringo recorded together as a band."

Reading is your friend.

#20 | Posted by Corky at 2019-10-04 11:02 PM | Reply

"Reading is your friend.
#20 | POSTED BY CORKY "

Knowledge can be yours if you let it be.

The Beatles were John, Paul, Ringo, and George. Take away any one of them and they were not the Beatles.

#21 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-04 11:21 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#21 what does that mean?

#22 | Posted by bruceaz at 2019-10-04 11:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Thanks corky.

Still I don't think a direct impact by the Sun is anything to be happy about.

#23 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-10-04 11:47 PM | Reply

- what does that mean?

Nada, as usual.

#24 | Posted by Corky at 2019-10-05 12:36 PM | Reply

@#13 ... I own every Beatle recording. ...

When I listen to the Beatles 45s I have from the 60's, I notice that the monaural mix on those 45s sounds different from the stereo mix on the albums. The difference is not just stereo vs mono, but a differing emphasis on the instruments. I've also seen a 2009 CD set that had those monaural mixes of all their albums.

Also, I forgot to mention in #12, that the songs in the 2009 CD set were packaged according to the albums as released in England. The US albums had differing songs.

#25 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-10-05 01:13 PM | Reply

The Revolver I grew up with didn't have Dr. Robert, And Your Bird Can Sing, and one other that I forget. Plus it was in mono. Somehow being in mono didn't detract at all from Tomorrow Never Knows. You'd kinda think it would. This helped me understand the difference between loving music and being an audiophile.

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-10-05 01:19 PM | Reply

#21 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

Technically they were John, Paul, George and Ringo.

#27 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2019-10-06 04:23 AM | Reply