Sunday, October 06, 2019

Chris Wondolowski comes up huge again. The league's all-time leading scorer nestled a diving header off the crossbar and in, leveling the Quakes' game against Portland in the 39th minute. It was just 10 minutes after the Timbers took the lead. Portland are still above the playoff line but the Quakes need just one more goal to swap places with the Timbers.

Comments

Most here at the Drudge have little interest in soccer. Would not have expected Mackris to buck that trend.

#1 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-10-06 05:30 PM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY ANGRYDAD

Soccer is going to become Americas sport in 10yrs.... Demographics don't you know...

Its local, regional and kids only get minor concussions;

You play with just a ball; anywhere; so its egalitarian.

It doesn't require a binder of a rule book, and an official standing by in NewYorkCity to make a call.

Whats not to like.

Disclaimer: SeasonTicketHolder SJEarthquakes!

#2 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-10-06 05:50 PM | Reply

"Whats not to like."

Nothing. I started playing when Pele was in his prime.

Unfortunate outcome for those 'Quakes.

#3 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-10-06 06:22 PM | Reply

--Would not have expected Mackris to buck that trend.

Mackris is just trying to deflect from Trump.

--Zed

#4 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-10-06 06:38 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Well we are out of it... Then depression set in....

#5 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-10-06 06:45 PM | Reply

I started playing when Pele was in his prime.

I am a little after that, :-) Played AYSO soccer, when the Quakes just started 74' Paul Child was my hero. Played until about 7th grade.

Never loved the game, until recently when I saw how much fun it was to watch live without all the interruptions. They still play the "music" too loud :-), but food trucks and families at the games ... it was great to watch and be a part of.

It like minor league baseball, but with non-stop action. Sure they don't score alot, but that has a certain pent up joy in it when they do.

Anyhow, will be paying attention as the MLS moves forward this season! I hope it grows, but slowly.

#6 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-10-06 06:54 PM | Reply

I don't mind soccer but it will never be a dominant sport in the US. It cannot break out the stereotype that it is meant for girls and European actors, not athletes. Part of this is due to the nature of the game and part is due to the reality of the best US athletes going into other sports so the people fielded in soccer are never 'the best' - it is a nice built in excuse for when the US loses internationally because there is some truth to it. The other part is that the sport consistently rewards play acting. A penalty kick is too game changing - so the rewards for drawing a penalty are too high and the risks for doing that by acting are almost non-existent.

I doubt soccer will ever change and actually enforce the playacting 'simulation' penalties (how else would the Italians ever win?) and I don't see our best athletic talent ever choosing soccer over the basketball, football, baseball, or even track and field - and this choice must be made at a young age as the European academy system proves - without it, they never develop the high level technical skill that are needed to be elite - it is not just about athleticism.

Lastly, the US only has a big event to draw attention every 2 years - the alternating men's and women's world cups. Because they chose to go political, the women's world cup was a huge failure at promoting the sport nationally as it alienated 50% of the country. The men didn't even qualify - so, the last 4 years have been a giant black hole for soccer in the US. I know the media is doing a lot to try to promote it as a sport, but the reality is that the last MLS cup had about 2M viewers and the NWSL has under 150k - keep in mind that the one and only 'Big Game at the End' for the defunct XFL drew 14M viewers and folded after a year - to show the scale of this. I think the NWSL will likely go bankrupt. The MLS has a real shot if it can manage its growth smartly, but this will be a multi-decade thing, not achieved in 10 years.

#7 | Posted by iragoldberg at 2019-10-06 07:33 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#7 | Posted by iragoldberg

You're just an idiot.

#8 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-10-06 08:46 PM | Reply

I disagree ...

The other part is that the sport consistently rewards play acting.

This is no different than basketball or hockey, even football.

I think the NWSL will likely go bankrupt.

This might be true.

6Million people 26+ play soccer in the US. 4Million kids 6-12 play soccer.

1Million play American football.

It won't take long.

#9 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-10-06 09:02 PM | Reply

"#7 | Posted by iragoldberg
You're just an idiot.

#8 | POSTED BY ANGRYDAD "

Deep thoughts.

#10 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-06 09:04 PM | Reply

Don't Look Now, but Major League Soccer May Be the Best Story in American Sports (and Sports Business)

A recent Gallup poll shows soccer ranks second in popularity only to football among the coveted 18-34 demographic. Average 2017 MLS attendance was over 22,000, third behind the NFL and major league baseball. Atlanta United FC, owned by Home Depot co-founder and Falcons owner Arthur Blank, entered the league in 2017 and averages over 52,000 fans per game.
www.inc.com

#11 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-10-06 09:07 PM | Reply

"It cannot break out the stereotype that it is meant for girls and European actors, not athletes.
I disagree ..."

You disagree that is the current stereotype or that it can break out of it?

"The other part is that the sport consistently rewards play acting.
This is no different than basketball or hockey, even football."

It is on a whole new level for soccer. Just look at all the internet memes on Neymar at the last world cup. Plus, the impact is much, much higher on a game where you can be rewarded a penalty kick in a sport that is low scoring by its nature.

"6Million people 26+ play soccer in the US. 4Million kids 6-12 play soccer."

Play, yes - have interest in watching games? Not so much as of now.

"1Million play American football."

Clearly decoupled from the market potential - 10's of millions of people watch police dramas on TV, only a few people in the US are homicide detectives.

"Baseball, Football lack continuous play, this is killing it as a goto event or outing, TV allows switching."

I disagree. What is killing professional sports is the broadcast quality keeps increasing AND the prices of attending live sports keeps increasing making it the price premium for live attendance just not worth it anymore.

"Soccer and Basketball are the two greatest skill games, in which the whole team needs to be good in order to win."

Agree to disagree. The NFL QB is by far the most challenging skill position in any sport - mental and physical.

"Finally, I see groups of families goto Earthquakes games. I see drunks and loudmouths looking for a fight when I goto 49er games."

My 49er game experiences were much different. They welcomed me to tailgates even though I was decked out in Packer gear. My Raiders experience was completely different - I thought I would be stabbed.

"You'll be surprised by the coming American demographic changes. Hispanic average age is 11, Caucasian 55.
#9 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS "

What matters is not the numbers - it is the disposable income. In additional, many of those young Hispanics have a father that immigrated from the US so continue to follow soccer - just not the MLS. They will follow the old team from Mexico. The fan base for the MLS is families with girls and hipsters. That could change - but you are not going to get this huge influx from Hispanic fans that the MLS backers have been predicting for decades.

#12 | Posted by iragoldberg at 2019-10-06 09:13 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"A recent Gallup poll shows soccer ranks second in popularity only to football among the coveted 18-34 demographic. "

When it translates into actual money, it will be a story. Tide Pod challenges are also huge with this group.

"Average 2017 MLS attendance was over 22,000"

Average ticket price is $27 - NFL is over $100.

Not to mention the corporate box seats, etc which is what makes the league so valuable financially. Also, when looking at football, I would argue that college football is now the biggest sport in the US.

#13 | Posted by iragoldberg at 2019-10-06 09:18 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

That is what is happening, these are second generation Hispanics, they have the disposable income. I see them at the games with their families, and yes there is Mexican team support.

Look at LAFC fan base, if you want a perfect example of what I am talking about. 2yrs into it and they are huge force, when they play here in SJose.

This is at the new stadium SantaClara, there have been multiple incidents like you describe at the Raider game. I don't think the average NFL fan is a family man these days. I am not sure there is as much tailgating there, I work near there, its like SJState ...

Commuter games.

What is killing professional sports is the broadcast quality keeps increasing

Its not killing other sports.

Yes, I didn't add that, but the cost of the players and their attitudes is to the detriment. I think the highest paid Earthquakes player is making $1.5Million a year.

Agreed, which is why the game sucks if you don't have a GREAT QB, you can forget about it, or if he gets injured. Which why I should have said greatest team skill games, all players need good to great skills overall or its going to get used against them.

#14 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-10-06 09:25 PM | Reply

Average ticket price is $27 - NFL is over $100.

Which goes to my point, lower and middle class families can attend a MLS game, not an NFL game.

They can buy the gear and play themselves, lots of stickiness with that.

When it translates into actual money, it will be a story.

It doesn't have to be "Centralized" money machine like the NFL or MLB.

Its a HUGE money maker already for the gear manufactures, local leagues. There is all sorts of divisions and regional academy leagues and games, even had a game today at Avaya stadium while the Quakes were in Portland. Girls team fun to watch as well.

Its really distributed, across the spectrum of economic and educational levels.

The change is happening.

#15 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-10-06 09:31 PM | Reply

I am a professional soccer referee and agree soccer attendance and popularity has increased.

How countries play soccer varies. In England, I find less pressure all game long compared to Germany's.

South America and Mexican leagues contact physically is different than other leagues: fouls or not fouls.

There are 3 referees generally. The center has final say.

There are no timeouts. The clock runs. I can add time for specific reasons...usually long delays. Typically delays dont add time.

People who dont like the game say the game is measured by low scores and brief moments.

The typical field is 70yds by 110yds. I walk, run, dash about 10-15 miles a week.

This is a speed and stamina game. In pro, 3 subs. That's it. Imagine that in basketball or hockey. 90 minutes of movement. Only 3 players will get a break.

#16 | Posted by Petrous at 2019-10-07 08:46 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Oh, that break is permanent for that game. If you get substituted, your game is over.

#17 | Posted by Petrous at 2019-10-07 08:48 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Sorry but.. go Timbers

And I used to go to Raider games in Oakland as a kid and they were very vocal about the other teams fans...a few fights but mostly just alot of flying beer ( it used to be cheap at to drink at games)

#18 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2019-10-08 04:29 PM | Reply