Tuesday, October 08, 2019

RealClearPolitics has carefully cultivated a non-partisan image - while in the shadows its parent company pushes images of killer Clintons and a freedom-loving Kremlin.

Comments

MFA:

Called "Conservative Country," the Facebook page was founded in 2014 and now boasts nearly 800,000 followers for its mix of Donald Trump hagiography and ultra-conservative memes. One recent post showed a man training two assault rifles at a closed door with the caption "Just sitting here waiting on Beto." Others wink at right-wing conspiracy theories about Barack Obama's "ties to Islam" or the Clintons having their enemies killed, or portray Muslim members of Congress as terrorist infiltrators. The page is effusive with praise for Vladimir Putin, and one post portrays Russia as the last bastion of freedom in Europe.

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-10-07 10:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#2 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-10-08 05:56 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#2 It shows you don't understand the term "far right".

#3 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-10-08 06:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

Why don't righties just immigrate to Russia..
Its authoritarian..run by a billionaire and its 99% white
You'll love it

#4 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2019-10-08 07:57 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

"As I understand the term as used now, "far right" is anything that disagrees with Marxism."

I agree- many people on this site come across as Marxist. You, for instance, often come across as Zeppo.

#5 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2019-10-08 09:45 AM | Reply | Funny: 5 | Newsworthy 1

#2 | POSTED BY DOCNJO

Am I to understand that the memes listed are not, in your opinion, "far right"? That training assault rifles on a door with a caption saying "Just sitting here waiting on Beto" is mainstream conservative? That joking about killing a Democratic presidential contender is mainstream?

I do not disagree with you. I think a lot of people that conservatives disclaim as "extremists" (for example, white supremacists and nazis) are actually pretty mainstream conservatives, but I think there are some conservative here that would have decried the article as biased if it claimed that the memes on there were mainstream.

Glad to see that we are on the same page.

#6 | Posted by gtbritishskull at 2019-10-08 09:55 AM | Reply

If this is true, FB should remove it.
EOS

#7 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-10-08 09:55 AM | Reply

This should completely destroy RealClearPolitics as a legitimate source of information. I know I will never visit that site again. I have had my suspicions about it over the years but I am sort of surprised that they were stupid enough to also run a Facebook site so right wing as to be propaganda. One thing I know, the right is insidious, they are clever and they are evil.

#8 | Posted by danni at 2019-10-08 09:56 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#2 I understand it to be anybody who's programmed to think Marxism is that big of a thing.

#9 | Posted by jpw at 2019-10-08 10:00 AM | Reply

No far right indicates crazy. I think you are the poster boy for it.

#10 | Posted by danni at 2019-10-08 10:02 AM | Reply

@#10 ... This should completely destroy RealClearPolitics as a legitimate source of information. I know I will never visit that site again. ...

I won't go that far.

Also, according to the cited article, it is not RealClearPolitics that has that FB site, but "the company behind" RCP. A minor distinction to be sure, but one that should be noted.

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-10-08 10:16 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Anyone who visits the Real Clear front page knows they have an equal distribution of op-eds from the left and the right. That, of course, makes them...Nazis!

#12 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-10-08 10:26 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

Right now on the RCP front page:

When 'Get Out' Is a President's National Security Strategy
Mark Hemingway, RealClearPolitics
Why Trump Can't Tweet His Way Out of Trouble
Jack Shafer, Politico
Donald Trump's Lesson for Mitt Romney
Miranda Devine, New York Post
Inside the Making of Andrew Yang 2.0
Andy Kroll, Rolling Stone"

That's typical. A 50-50 balance of left and right sources.

#13 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-10-08 10:33 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I visit RCP mainly for the polling data aggregation. I've not seen any problems with that, and I've not seen any other site that does it nearly as well."

I agree but I just won't support, in any way, an entity that is spreading right wing propaganda.

#14 | Posted by danni at 2019-10-08 10:39 AM | Reply

^^^
I was born on left-wing propaganda, I was raised on left-wing propaganda and I'm gunna die on left-wing propaganda. I won't be supportin' any o'that right wing propaganda around these parts.
/s

#15 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-10-08 10:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#15 ... I just won't support, in any way ...

That's your choice.

I have a different view on the matter.

#16 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-10-08 10:56 AM | Reply

"I was born on left-wing propaganda, I was raised on left-wing propaganda and I'm gunna die on left-wing propaganda."

False equivalency. Being on the left doesn't require dishonesty, believing right wing propaganda does. Let's explore for a minute. Equal Rights for black people, Vietnam War, Voting rights for Americans, Iraq War, tax cuts for the 1%, Medicare Part D prohibition against negotiating for lower drug prices, gerrymandering, anti-abortion laws in Republican states....and the list goes on. I'll take my left wing views over the backwards and stupid views of the right any day.

#17 | Posted by danni at 2019-10-08 10:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

And and Avigdumb, how about Trump deserting the Kurds yesterday. No loyalty, even though a year ago he claimed he would never do this. What did Ergodan promise that sold out piece of crap to get him to just leave them to slaughter? Disgusting, I am ashamed to be an American today.

#18 | Posted by danni at 2019-10-08 11:00 AM | Reply

"I have a different view on the matter."

Perfectly fine. Can't agree about everything.

#19 | Posted by danni at 2019-10-08 11:01 AM | Reply

Heh, I was actually in the middle of a conversation with a marine about that while you were typing it.
You are mistaken about my beliefs on the subject...a phrase that should just be tacked onto anything you post, it seems.

#20 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-10-08 11:21 AM | Reply

One thing I know, the right is insidious, they are clever and they are evil.

#8 | Posted by danni

That's actually 3 but I agree. I think it applies to the people pulling the strings on the right not the sheeple so much. The sheeple are just being led down the patch to the dark side...

#21 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-10-08 12:45 PM | Reply

I understand where Danni is coming from. It actually doesn't do RCM any credibility favors to have this propaganda wing as part of the same group of companies. Much like the actual NEWS on Fox News is done no favors by the propaganda shows it airs the rest of the time. The actual news however (when I have watched) is actually pretty neutral - just a slight lean.

It also leads people like Danni to say - thanks but no I am not going to support a propaganda operation by getting information from RCM. I agree with Danni. I don't support businesses no matter how much I like them where they or ownership finance things that are blatantly wrong in my book. Propaganda is blatantly wrong no matter the side.

#22 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-10-08 01:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#8 | POSTED BY DANNI

It's balance must infuriate you. If it ain't all LW it's bad, amirite?

#23 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-10-08 01:26 PM | Reply

I visit RCP nearly every day, but only to look at polls.

The rest of it is nothing but opinion pieces I don't bother reading. Those from the right are typically from places like "American Greatness" and other right wing hack sites. No need to bother.

#24 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-10-08 02:15 PM | Reply

"I form my own opinions by reading verified, sourced 'news' done by credible journalists. RCP isn't that.

#24 | POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY "

--------. You form your opinions based on partisanship and nothing else. Do you think you can sell that whopper to this crowd? LOL

#25 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-08 02:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#9 | POSTED BY JPW AT 2019-10-08 10:00 AM | FLAG:

Also quicksand. Old Tarzan movies convinced many of us that quicksand would be an ever-present threat. I've never encountered either one.

#26 | Posted by cbob at 2019-10-08 02:25 PM | Reply

--The rest of it is nothing but opinion pieces I don't bother reading.

Horseschitt. Those liberal opinion pieces--NY Times, CNN. The Nation, Rolling Stone, Politico, etc., are posted here all the time. You just don't read them on the RCP website.

#27 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-10-08 02:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I have my doubts you ever visited the site more than a couple of times in the first place."

They were my go to site for polls. Like Lamplighter said, it is a handly place to compare poll numbers.

#28 | Posted by danni at 2019-10-08 03:50 PM | Reply

I use RCP for their poll aggregation service, which i find incredibly useful. I've yet to see bias in that portion of the site.

#29 | Posted by JOE at 2019-10-08 04:00 PM | Reply

I use RCP for their poll aggregation service, which i find incredibly useful.

#29 | POSTED BY JOE

Yep, anytime a 'recent poll has candidate X up 20 points from last week' I always go to the RCP Average.

#30 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-10-08 04:02 PM | Reply

That, of course, makes them...Nazis!

#12 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

What a maroon

No one is calling them nazi except you Nulli. You seem to nazi issues.

Also you Totally ignore the gist of the article which has nothing to do with nazis. The article exposes the underbelly of an organization that is on the surface nonpartisan and pretending to be neutral but is actually egging the fight on by pushing far right FAKE NEWS. It goes to show it is hard to trust anyone in the new world order.

Admit it. You didn't even read the article did you Nulli? Just so ready to pull that partisan right wing trigger on everything. It's actually a pretty sad and sick thing to watch .

#31 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-10-08 07:26 PM | Reply

"You are mistaken about my beliefs on the subject."

If we are all mistaken then I would suspected the problem lies with how you are representing yourself.

But the thing is. While it has become difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff it is not impossible.

The democrats are not wrong and Trump is getting exactly what he wants and what he has earned.

The office of the President really should not obstruct Congress. He should not lie to the American People and he should not abuse the power of his office. He should follow our constitution and our laws and rules for the purpose of creating a more perfect union. Not to line the pockets of his family.

Because if he does not follow the law there are remedies.

#32 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-10-08 07:35 PM | Reply