Tuesday, October 08, 2019

Noah Feldman: A New York judge says the president can be subpoenaed, investigated and maybe even prosecuted while in office. A federal district judge in New York has held that the Manhattan district attorney may subpoena Donald Trump's tax records as part of a criminal investigation.

Comments

Trump is creating the laws that will take him down. This is why people prefer to act like gentlemen and not animals.

#1 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-10-08 04:32 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"If a House or Senate of the president's party protects him against impeachment and removal, then we could be faced with the horrifying prospect of a criminal president remaining in office." - fta

#2 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-10-08 04:37 PM | Reply

"criminal president remaining in office"

They're okay with that, because in their minds Hillary and Biden would be even more criminal.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-10-08 04:39 PM | Reply

You're giving them far too much credit as "thinkers".

They're OK with a criminal in office because that's still better than Hillary or Biden in any form.

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2019-10-08 05:09 PM | Reply

The Second Circuit will agree with the lower court judge under the limited circumstances of this case. I have less faith in our Supreme Court which has been stacked with partisan operatives. I could honestly see what appears to be a very clean cut case going 5-4.

#5 | Posted by JOE at 2019-10-08 05:21 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by JOE

I wouldn't count Chief Justice John Roberts being 100% on Trump's side in this. I suspect, based on some of his votes and comments since Trump was elected, that he does NOT want history to look unkindly on the "Roberts' Court" 50 years from now.

OCU

#6 | Posted by OCUser at 2019-10-08 05:37 PM | Reply

#6 Yeah, i meant 5-4 in either direction. Which would still be disgraceful imo considering the issues at play here.

#7 | Posted by JOE at 2019-10-08 06:01 PM | Reply

And Obama left office needing to render a justice to be confirmed.

#8 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-10-08 07:12 PM | Reply

I have less faith in our Supreme Court which has been stacked with partisan operatives. I could honestly see what appears to be a very clean cut case going 5-4. #5 | Posted by JOE at 2019-10-08 05:21 PM
When you claim 'stacked by partisans' would you be so kind as to tell me which party selected the member you see being the '5' in that 5-4 decision? Is it a Democrat appointed judge who might weigh it differently than every other Democrat appointee, or is it a Republican appointee who might weigh it differently than every other Republican appointee?

#9 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-10-09 08:21 AM | Reply

Run for your life Don... ... ... . They are going to get you this time.

#10 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-10-09 11:40 AM | Reply

For someone who just claimed yesterday that he reads threads before commenting, you sure don't seem to have digested #7.

#11 | Posted by JOE at 2019-10-09 12:04 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY JOE

Don't count on it. Expect more likely a 8-1 against the President if not a 9-0. The only one I'd be concerned about is Kavanaugh both because of his take on investigations of the President and his hatred of the Dems.

#12 | Posted by Sycophant at 2019-10-09 12:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#12 I'd love for you to be right.

#13 | Posted by JOE at 2019-10-09 12:31 PM | Reply

#11 | Posted by JOE at 2019-10-09 12:04 PM

I absolutely digested it, which is why I questioned it. Are you of the belief that any liberal judge is going to vote in opposition to the other 3 liberal judges?
The point being that the judges nominated by Democrats are almost certainly going to vote in a manner consistent with your claim of stacked with partisan operatives.
While the same cannot be honsetly said of the judges nominated by Republicans.

#14 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-10-09 01:04 PM | Reply

#14 I said "partisan operatives" as applicable to all sides of the court. That the conservatives are occasionally less partisan does not make them non-partisan.

I'm sorry you are so triggered by anything anyone says about conservatives. Maybe you could take a break from your taxpayer-funded pettifogging to soothe your owie.

#15 | Posted by JOE at 2019-10-09 01:30 PM | Reply