Thursday, October 10, 2019

Not only is the problem of cars killing pedestrians not going away, but the annual death toll over the last decade has actually increased by 35%. The proliferation of cars with automatic emergency braking (AEB) systems that detect pedestrians is therefore a good thing, right?

Comments

What is wrong with the drivers keeping their heads out of their cell phones?

#1 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-10-10 01:10 PM | Reply

"What is wrong with the drivers keeping their heads out of their cell phones?

#1 | POSTED BY SNIPER "

Thankfully, it's against the law in Texas now. And don't even think of using a cell phone in a school zone unless you are prepared to take out a second mortgage on your house to pay the fine.

#2 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-10 01:12 PM | Reply

"And don't even think of using a cell phone in a school zone unless you are prepared to take out a second mortgage on your house to pay the fine."

I miss the good ol' days. Today's school-age children don't jump out of the way from out-of-control automobiles like they used to. What's more, if you end up hitting them, they don't bounce off the bumper as well as they used to-- my guess it has something to do with all those immunizations they have been given by time they are 5. Either that or the lack of extreme amounts of high fructose corn syrup and/or refined sugar in their morning diets.

#3 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2019-10-10 01:18 PM | Reply

second mortgage for sure. if you live in a van down by the river

#4 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-10-10 01:21 PM | Reply

"The average fine for a motorist caught using a handheld cellphone in a Texas school zone is $235
second mortgage for sure. if you live in a van down by the river

#4 | POSTED BY CHIEFTUTMOSES "

I do.

But sorry. I assumed you brain was capable of processing a metaphor. My bad.

#5 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-10 01:24 PM | Reply

@#1 ... What is wrong with the drivers keeping their heads out of their cell phones? ...

Nothing, nothing at all.

But that's not the only reason for auto-pilot in cars. I saw one video of someone who looked fast asleep while his car was driving down the expressway. Someone in the car next to it filmed the sleeping person.

Here in CT cell phone usage whilst driving is illegal.

The police are known to don construction-worker clothing and "work" around red-light-controlled intersections, looking into the cars that stop to see if anyone is using their cell phone. When (not if) they see someone, they radio down the raod to a "three policeman, no waiting" checkpoint to have the driver pulled over.

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-10-10 02:32 PM | Reply

In related news, sail-humans on the rise

For those who don't get the reference:

www.youtube.com

#7 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-10 04:14 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by danni at 2019-10-10 09:36 PM | Reply

"Texting on cell phones is illegal now in Florida too but I don't really see much enforcement, I see people doing it all the time. I want police to pull them over and write them an expensive ticket. I am sick of people who text while driving and I can honestly say, I never do that.

#8 | POSTED BY DANNI "

When I see that, I'll slow down until they are abreast of me then I'll honk. It scares the ---- out of them because they think they're drifting into another lane. Sometimes they are, actually.

#9 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-10 09:40 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by danni

The 'hands free only' law took effect here this past January. Hasn't stopped idiots from staring at their screens doing 75 on the freeway, weaving from inattention to the road. Nashville isn't a city known for a lot of horn honking but its begun because of drivers texting as they sit at green lights until someone gives them "HEY, THE LIGHT IS GREEN! YOU CAN GO!" nudge on the horn.

#10 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-10-10 10:46 PM | Reply

I actually do work with a woman who told me she regularly texts while driving and depends on other drivers honks to tell her when it is time to go at the traffic lights. I should mention that her and I do not get along at all and she is just as inconsiderate of others in the work place as she is on the highway.

#11 | Posted by danni at 2019-10-11 06:52 AM | Reply

If they don't detect the pedestrian, the bumper will.

#12 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-10-11 08:06 AM | Reply

#11 | Posted by danni at 2019-10-11 06:52 AM | Reply | Flag:

We just buried an 18 year old kid this week who hit a tractor trailer head on while texting while going 55. The front of his Jeep on the driver's side was pushed as far back as the back seat. The phone was still in his hand when they scraped him out of it.

#13 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-10-11 08:09 AM | Reply

I will admit to texting and driving. I sorta have to being on the road as much as I am.

So I tend to be more tolerant of others texting and driving since it would be hypocritical of me to make a big issue out of it. Even so I have had to give the hey the light is green honk a couple times and last weekend a guy had his phone on a mount and for 5 min was looking at it while driving 10 below the speed limit I tried to be patient with him but eventually I honked at him.

#14 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2019-10-11 08:18 AM | Reply

"I try not to be a complete idiot about it (I am the first to admit I'm being a partial idiot doing it at all) I don't do it in heavy traffic, I don't do it in residential neighborhoods, I try and do as much of it as possible at red lights (and I'm looking up every other word to make sure it's still red) mostly I don't drift lanes or drop speed while doing it and if I see I am then I stop until a red light."

Good luck until you kill someone then you'll pay the price deserved for such irresponsible and incosiderate behavior. I was riding with a real estate agent the other day, her phone allows her to text by speaking into the phone, you might consider getting one of those phones.

#15 | Posted by danni at 2019-10-11 08:28 AM | Reply

"So far about 25 hours of driving about 1000 miles a week and no pedestrians hit."

Until you do. After you do your life will be ruined, your family's life will be ruined. The victim's live will be over and his/her family will be ruined. It just isn't worth it.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2019-10-11 08:29 AM | Reply

Mostly I agree.

However the way my job is set up I frequently don't have a choice. When I started I didn't do it at all except red lights. Because I am either in a customers house or driving for 9-12 hours a day the return texts just built up to the point where I was days behind on responses. I don't talk on the phone or email so I still end up behind on responses but it is manageable mostly. I have a pissed off property manager right now because of my slow response times and will probably lose them as a client.

It's easy for you to sit at a desk all day and say it's not that important to respond to texts while driving but when your business depends on responding and also has you on the road all the time well choices must be made.

You can blame me and say I am reckless if you want but like I said I do take precautions to not be dangerous and I prefer the risk to being homeless and hungry.

#17 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2019-10-11 09:02 AM | Reply

So just get an iphone or other phone that allows you to text by speaking into your phone. Easy solution which would keep your eyes on the road. My iphone actually asked me yesterday if I wanted it to teach me how to do it.

#18 | Posted by danni at 2019-10-11 09:11 AM | Reply

I do but siri sucks at understanding your voice when you are in a cargo van clattering down the road. If it is a short message it works but a lot of times the error rate is unacceptable for a business text and trying to correct the errors takes my eyes off the road for longer than just typing it in the first place.

It also depends on who I am texting, a customer with a long standing relationship sure I'll use voice texts and they will understand.

#19 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2019-10-11 09:24 AM | Reply