Saturday, October 12, 2019

Several construction workers had to run to safety on Saturday morning as a large portion of the Hard Rock Hotel, which has been under construction for the last several months, came crashing down suddenly. It was not immediately clear what caused the collapse or if anyone was injured. Eyewitness video provided to WWL-TV shows the moment collapse began around 9 a.m. Upper floors began to fall on top of each other before the Basin Street side of the building fell to the ground below. Two large cranes, being used to construct the building, could be seen swaying after the collapse. Another eyewitness video showed other workers on upper floors climb down ladders to try to get to safety after the collapse stopped. On the ground, officials pushed a gathering crowd back from the site, and Gov. John Bel Edwards was reportedly on his way to the scene, which was littered with debris, including concrete and mangled steel.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The Hard Rock Hotel was planned as an 18-story building with 350 rooms that would've also had 62 condominiums. It was initially set to open this spring.

Comments

Unbelievable.
youtu.be

#1 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2019-10-12 11:54 AM | Reply

I talked about this on another thread a month or so ago, but I'll bet it has to do with shoddy work and some palms being greased.

#2 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-12 12:00 PM | Reply

^ Louisiana

#3 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-12 12:00 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by goatman

OCU

#4 | Posted by OCUser at 2019-10-12 12:21 PM | Reply

OCU, He is a seer.

I think he is a time traveler.

#5 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2019-10-12 01:05 PM | Reply

"You say you talked about this construction accident a "month or so ago". How is that possible? It just happened this morning.
OCU

#4 | POSTED BY OCUSER "

See post #3 in which I clarified my post #2.

Sorry, OWS. You didn't get the 'gotcha goat' you were looking for

#6 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-12 01:15 PM | Reply

#6 FCS lol

#7 | Posted by bruceaz at 2019-10-12 01:20 PM | Reply

"He also let slip in a post, that something or another came to fruition as he predicted a 'couple months earlier', though he had only sucked his way back on to the DR a couple weeks prior to his post.

#5 | POSTED BY OLDWHISKEYSOUR "

News flash, OWS: Nothing slipped. I don't have to be active on the DR to predict something. Duh. I remember that post. Another GDS afflicted soul (I'm pretty sure it was pinchaloaf) said the same thing. I guess people like y'all can't imagine life outside the DR.

Another lost 'gotcha goat' moment, OWS.

You're trying too hard, dude.

#8 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-12 01:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#7: What does FCS mean in the context of which you use it? There are dozens of definitions of it online.

acronyms.thefreedictionary.com

#9 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-12 01:29 PM | Reply

Fetal calf serum

#10 | Posted by bruceaz at 2019-10-12 02:03 PM | Reply

This is fake news. The free market is self regulating so shoddy construction is impossible and regulations are unnecessary.

#11 | Posted by bored at 2019-10-12 02:31 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

It doesn't surprise me at all. There was a Thai restaurant on the bottom floor of an old building across Carondalet street from One Shell Square where I used to work. A lot of us had lunch there regularly. One night the interior guts of the building collapsed into the bottom. The restaurant was called SingThai if I remember right. Probably hadn't been inspected since it was built in the 1800s. I'll see if I can find the story.

#12 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-10-12 04:18 PM | Reply

www.nola.com

Yep. Here it is.

#13 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-10-12 04:20 PM | Reply

I'm just glad they haven't blamed Trump. Yet

#14 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-10-13 08:01 AM | Reply

ummm illegal Mexican workers that supported Trump...Nobody else can do such shoddy work...

OR

Another O'bama shovel ready work project... slightly behind schedule...

#15 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-10-13 02:44 PM | Reply

#15 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-10-13 02:44 PM | Reply | Flag: Idiot alert

#16 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-10-13 02:54 PM | Reply

It was the hurricane. No, not Katrina. The one the crane operator had at lunch time from Pat O'Brien's a couple of blocks away

#17 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-13 09:30 PM | Reply