Saturday, October 12, 2019

Kenya's Eliud Kipchoge has successfully completed the first ever marathon under two hours in the Austrian capital of Vienna, two years since he fell 25 seconds short. The 34-year-old ran the 26.2 miles in 1 hour, 59 minutes and 40 seconds at Vienna's Prater-Hauptallee (main avenue) -- an achievement considered one of the ultimate milestones in athletic performance. ... Despite the achievement, the milestone won't count as a world record. In fact, Ineos hasn't even submitted a request to the IAAF for the attempt to be officially ratified.

Comments

Amazing. I once ran a half-marathon in 1:46 and I thought I was gonna die.

#1 | Posted by cbob at 2019-10-12 06:06 PM | Reply

What an accomplishment. I just saw this on the CBS evening news.

#2 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2019-10-12 06:44 PM | Reply

Absolutely amazing.

Like the for minute mile, humans will continue to push the physical boundaries of their physical abilities.

With genetic manipulation on the horizon, are we looking at someone breaking this record by 30 minutes? Or even gutting it in half?

#3 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-12 06:50 PM | Reply

*four minute mile...

#4 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-12 06:50 PM | Reply

I thought having a split of 5:16 on my 3rd click of a 10k that took me 58 mins to complete was as close as a person could get to a full body charlie horse.

#5 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2019-10-12 09:12 PM | Reply

Wow wow. That is truly impressive. I tip my hat to him.

#6 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-10-12 09:42 PM | Reply

Years ago several of us ran Grandma's marathon in Duluth Minnesota. The winner was from Africa with about 2:14 for a time. He was in the lobby of our hotel the next morning. Graciously signed our T-shirts. He asked us our times and his eyes got big when he exclaimed, "Wow, I don't think I could run for four hours." I would have laughed more but I was hardly moving.

#7 | Posted by mattm at 2019-10-12 09:49 PM | Reply

#3 no.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2019-10-13 12:28 AM | Reply

#7-
That's a great story. I've run a few halfs, but never a full. I've heard one of the great things about running a major marathon is the idea that the elites and normal runners are all mingling on the same course (even if separated by 2+ hours!). Your story is a good reminder of that. I'm thinking about trying to get into Chicago next year for my first full. The lottery has a success rate of ~55%. We'll see.

#9 | Posted by dylanfan at 2019-10-13 09:22 AM | Reply

Is there anything Obama can't do? Yes he can!!

#10 | Posted by AfterMaff at 2019-10-13 09:35 PM | Reply

KANGZ literally built modern society as an afterthought following the innovation of levitating pyramids

#11 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-10-14 12:31 AM | Reply

"Wow, I don't think I could run for four hours." I would have laughed more but I was hardly moving. #7 | POSTED BY MATTM

MurderedByWords
Hilarious though :P

#12 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-10-14 09:42 AM | Reply

Is there anything Obama can't do? Yes he can!!

#10 | POSTED BY AFTERMAFF