Monday, October 14, 2019

A New York Times author on Sunday shared on Twitter a picture taken in Turkey's eastern Erzurum province following the 1983 earthquake, in the wake of Turkey's ongoing Operation Peace Spring in northern Syria. Kurt Eichenwald posted on Twitter an award-winning photo in which a woman can be seen crying in front of the corpses of five children after they lost their lives in the earthquake. -Enes Canli (AA)

Comments

Why isn't the plain truth good ever good enough?

#1 | Posted by Karabekian at 2019-10-14 02:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

The New York Times did away with their public editor position, which not having a reputable person backed by real authority within the NYT in the position of Public Editor -- this is the Gray Lady's biggest problem.

They need to bring back Daniel Okrent into that position, and reputable people like him, and fire mindless op-ed hacks like Barry Weiss.

#2 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-10-14 03:03 PM | Reply

Could be intentional. Could also be the result of a lazy image search.

#3 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-10-14 03:20 PM | Reply

Like it's never happened with the Trump people, eh?

www.politifact.com

OCU

#4 | Posted by OCUser at 2019-10-14 03:45 PM | Reply

Butbutbutbut whatabout Trump!!!

OCU

#5 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-10-14 10:19 PM | Reply

Did NYT admit their mistake?
That has never happened with Trump people.

#6 | Posted by bored at 2019-10-14 10:56 PM | Reply

Wow. Looking at that front page:
www.aa.com.tr
Do you think they have an agenda?

There's no trace of Kurt Eichenwald's supposed tweet, so if he did do it, it's wiped completely - including all comments that would have tagged/retweeted/commented on it. I'm not saying he didn't do it, just that I can't find any evidence of it other than this source. A handful of right-wing outlets (including info-wars) picked up the aa.com.tr images and story, but none offered any evidence of their own.

Without any additional corroboration I'm going to have to pass on giving this, whatever it's supposed to be, any more thought.

#7 | Posted by YAV at 2019-10-14 11:19 PM | Reply

#7. Nothing surprises me anymore.

#8 | Posted by Karabekian at 2019-10-15 01:11 AM | Reply

Fake news!

#9 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-10-15 10:49 AM | Reply

#9 - it could be real, but I can't find anything supporting that. I can't tell if it was a retweet, or what. If you go to their home page, it's a ridiculous onslaught of Operation Peace Spring. I can't believe how much Erdogan's coopted the media for his agenda. Things have definitely changed.

Istanbul was sort of a mess last time I was there with all the Syrian refugees on the street, their passports laid out, kids with them, asking for help. I'm sure that's worn on everyone there and they're happy supporting any effort to get things back to the way they were.

#10 | Posted by YAV at 2019-10-15 01:15 PM | Reply

Yav,

I was just trolling.

#11 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-10-15 01:22 PM | Reply

And here I thought you were agreeing with me, Jeff.
Instead I got hooked!
dammit!

#12 | Posted by YAV at 2019-10-15 04:09 PM | Reply

:-)

#13 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-10-15 04:11 PM | Reply

Oh, hell no. There is no fake news.

#14 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-10-16 11:28 AM | Reply