Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Go vegetarian or we kill your pet.

But a new taboo-smashing British reality TV show called "Meat the Family" goes even further.

Not only will a family of unrepentant carnivores have to let an animal they have adopted and grown to love go for slaughter if they refuse to stop eating meat -- they will be asked to cook and eat it.

Comments

"Could you go back to meat once you've put a name and face to a meal?"

Yes. Stop anthropomorphizing livestock.

#1 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-10-15 10:24 AM | Reply

Anyone who eats their pet dog is sick.

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2019-10-15 11:28 AM | Reply

"Anyone who eats their pet dog is sick.

#2 | POSTED BY ZED "

Zed didn't read the story.

#3 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-15 11:30 AM | Reply

My GF raises a cow for slaughter. She lets her granddaughters name them. The last one was named Nike because she had a 'swoosh' on her forehead.

No one is bothered by it. There are aoften jokes like "Nike sure made a nice meatloaf" and such.

Livestock is just that -- livestock. It doesn't matter if they have a name or not.

#4 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-15 11:56 AM | Reply

I'm thinking about making my lab's coat into a cloak when he dies. It's the most water repellent thing I've seen.

#5 | Posted by jpw at 2019-10-15 02:00 PM | Reply

Pet rabbits are tasty smothered with onions carrots and celery.

#6 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-10-15 07:43 PM | Reply

"Pet rabbits are tasty smothered with onions carrots and celery.

#6 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS "

I love a rabbit fricassee. The cuter the rabbit, the better. Squirrels, too, as long as they are country squirrels. The ones I shoot in my backyard proved to not be so tasty. Maybe it's their diet or something.

#7 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-15 07:45 PM | Reply

Funny story about eating pets.

As I mentioned upthread, my GF raises one cow at a time strictly for slaughter and her granddaughters usually name it.

About ten years ago my GF's mother died. All her descendants from children to g'grandchildren knew her as Honey.

At the funeral, the usual smorgasborg took place. Someone brought a Honey Baked Ham. (damn, those things are good) Everyone was commenting on how good the Honey ham was. At one point, someone noticed little Emma, 5 years old and g'grandaughter of the descedant picking woefully at the ham with her fork. Someone asked her what was wrong. Thinking of the beef they ate with a name, she burst into tears and said, "I don't want to eat Honey" thinking she was eating her great grandmother, Honey.

She's a teenager now and we still kid her about that.

#8 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-15 07:51 PM | Reply

I never liked squirrel as a kid. Dad would hunt and bring them home. But that rabbit and gravy mom made was absolutely amazing. Rear hindquarters or back meat was mo favorite. She always had rice and a green vegetable like green beans or Brussels. Sometimes a cornbread or a cat head biscuit to go with it.

#9 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-10-15 08:46 PM | Reply

If Charlotte ain't protecting my pet, dinner is served.

#10 | Posted by Petrous at 2019-10-16 09:31 AM | Reply