Wednesday, October 16, 2019

WSJ: Dems and the media for 3 years used a fog of facts and speculation when there was never a shred of evidence of Trump-Russia collusion and flooded the zone with a flurry of scattershot claims in their campaign against Justice Kavanaugh. Bear these tactics in mind as we confront the left's new impeachment push.

Motive matters, but what matters more is the accuracy of the complaint itself. The real news of the past few weeks has been the steady accumulation of evidence that its central claim is totally wrong: There is simply no evidence that Mr. Trump engaged in a "quid pro quo" by withholding aid to Ukraine unless it "opened an investigation" into former Vice President Joe Biden.

The written record has already refuted the complaint, and anything further is theater ... the left is again counting on the public getting lost in a swirl of innuendo without regard to the actual facts.

But facts matter, especially when it comes to impeachment.

Comments

Let the teeth gnashing on both sides of the DR divide begin...

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-10-16 04:20 PM | Reply

Other notable pieces by this crisis actor

"Whistle Blowers and the Real Deep State"

LOL

#2 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-10-16 04:23 PM | Reply

I thought I felt my CocoChief stalker nibbling on my sphincter...

RECENT COMMENTS:
ChiefTutMoses on OpEd: Ukraine Smoke and Mirrors, Dem claim not impeachable ...

#3 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-10-16 04:34 PM | Reply

Creates thread on site called the retort promoting a clown op-Ed, then lashes out like a child when reminded the author is a clown

Grow a pair already, you -----

#4 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-10-16 04:42 PM | Reply

RECENT COMMENTS:
ChiefTutMoses on OpEd: Ukraine Smoke and Mirrors, Dem claim not impeachable ...

You just can't resist the smell of my lower GI tract, I hope you find the taste to your liking...

#5 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-10-16 04:53 PM | Reply

Best cartoon yet on this whole fiasco.

#6 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-10-16 07:46 PM | Reply

when there was never a shred of evidence of Trump-Russia collusion

Bullschitt. Not wasting my time reading any further.

#7 | Posted by jpw at 2019-10-17 12:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#7 | POSTED BY JPW

Was that directed at ROC or Kim Strassel? You quoted Strassel but seemed to direct your comment at ROC.

#8 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-10-17 01:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

His post made perfect sense.

Perhaps give it another read.

#9 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-10-17 01:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Clown,

I found it strange that he'd quote Strassel and then insult ROC over what she said in her Op-Ed, as if he said it himself.

#10 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-10-17 02:03 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY JPW

What he's doing is pointing out the stupidity of "Ukrainegate" which is much ado about nothing and distracts from obstruction, which Mueller very nicely laid out.

#11 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-10-17 02:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Are we really going to pretend that the default assumption here is not that a person who posts an op-ed is endorsing it unless they say otherwise?

#12 | Posted by JOE at 2019-10-17 02:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Jeff. The way I read it is.

First sentence is Strassel.

The second sentence is a comment on the article.

The third sentence is directed towards RoC.

Article: "when there was never a shred of evidence of Trump-Russia collusion"

Comment on the article: "Bullschitt. Not wasting my time reading any further."

Comment directed to RoC: "You've really become a intellectually vacuous hack, carrying Trump water while claiming to be all for impeachment."

#13 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-10-17 02:09 PM | Reply

ROC's daily attempt to steer the narrative

Funny ---- considering Mulvaney just admitted they held back aid to Ukraine until DNC server was investigated.. and that's just the way they do things

#14 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2019-10-17 02:53 PM | Reply

Another garbage pile not fit for outhouse paper.

#15 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-10-17 02:56 PM | Reply

What a load of crap.

#16 | Posted by jpw at 2019-10-17 02:58 PM | Reply

What a load of crap.
#16 | POSTED BY JPW

If it is "something" then investigate it in public and do it via processes previous congress's have followed.

Otherwise your claim is invalid as well, because you don't know either.

#17 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-10-17 03:36 PM | Reply

Otherwise your claim is invalid as well, because you don't know either.

What we already know is enough.

Well, for people with ethics and standards at least...

#18 | Posted by jpw at 2019-10-17 04:26 PM | Reply

What we already know is enough.

What we know is there was no quid. No quid and the whole narrative collapses.

#19 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-10-17 04:43 PM | Reply

#19 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

"...though."

#20 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 05:20 PM | Reply

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) said Thursday that acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney's comments linked the withholding of aid to Ukraine to investigations into the 2016 election have made things "much worse" for the president.
thehill.com

#21 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 05:27 PM | Reply

#19 they're using the same scheme as they always do and you're falling for it as if you've never seen it.

First they denied.

Now they're admitting it but claiming it's not a problem.

And you go right along, although you're lagging on the newest talking point.

#22 | Posted by jpw at 2019-10-17 06:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#22 I'm going by what Zelensky is saying and what is being reported about Volker's testimony.

#23 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-10-17 07:09 PM | Reply

Based upon what is publicly known right now, this is much ado about nothing. If new information emerges demonstrating quid then my assessment will change.

#24 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-10-17 07:13 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

There's plenty of information pointing to implicit quid.

Your assessment should have changed a while ago.

#21 should help you figure it out.

#25 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 07:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Get over it': Trump chief of staff confirms president froze Ukraine aid in part over political investigation
www.independent.co.uk

#26 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 07:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Trump's legal team is reportedly 'stunned' after Mick Mulvaney admitted to a quid pro quo
theweek.com

#27 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 08:05 PM | Reply

But yeah, like Jeff said, not even a quid. Lol

#28 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 08:06 PM | Reply

"If the White House was withholding aid in regards to the cooperation of any investigation at the Department of Justice, that is news to us," a senior DOJ official* said in a statement to reporters Thursday.

*I wasn't aware JeffJ was a senior DOJ official; or that he swallowed the DOJ talking points. Either way, the information Jeff is asking for that SHOULD sway him is already public. I'm beginning to think Jeff chooses ignorance, but I hope I'm wrong.

#29 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 08:11 PM | Reply

Lol so you cherry pick then declare it all nothing.

Either take it all into account or refrain from making absurd comments.

#30 | Posted by jpw at 2019-10-17 08:11 PM | Reply

Cherry pickers are the epitome of willful/chosen ignorance. As a recovering Catholic, I would know.

#31 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 08:14 PM | Reply

Former Acting U.S. Solicitor General: Mulvaney Admitted to Textbook Definition of Impeachable Offense'
lawandcrime.com

#32 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 08:21 PM | Reply

"The highest standard for what impeachable act could mean is requiring the commission of an actual crime," Vance wrote. "Clearly, the Constitution contemplates other misconduct, but there's no longer a need to debate what that might be as what we have is an admission of criminal conduct."

Yeah, but no quid.

#33 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 08:23 PM | Reply

"Based upon what is publicly knownright now, this is much ado about nothing."

How is withholing aid in return for political favors nothing?
???

Based upon what is publicly knownright now, this is a felony.

#34 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-10-17 08:54 PM | Reply

#34 nuh uh!

Righties

#35 | Posted by jpw at 2019-10-17 09:24 PM | Reply

TRUMP SENT ATTORNEY GENERAL BARR TO ROME IN SEARCH OF A DEEP STATE PLOT. ITALIAN INTELLIGENCE SAYS THERE'S NOTHING THERE.
theintercept.com

Apologies for the Caps. I get lazy after a couple IPAs.

#36 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 09:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Apologies for the Caps. I get lazy after a couple IPAs.

#36 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11 "

That's what you get for imbibing nasty IPAs, hophead.

#37 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-17 09:29 PM | Reply

Hophead, pothead...meh.

#38 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 09:33 PM | Reply

I'll find one that you'll enjoy, GOAT.

You'll just have to come out to SoCal and join up.

Looking forward to it.

#39 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 09:36 PM | Reply

"Hophead, pothead...meh.

#38 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11 "

Fun Fact: Did you know you can graft hops onto Cannabis root and get a viable product?

supercritical-co2-extraction.com

#40 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-17 09:37 PM | Reply

supercritical-co2-extraction.com
#40 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

#41 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 09:39 PM | Reply

"Looking forward to it.

#39 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11 "

Don't say that unless you mean it. I'm known to show up at people's doors. I go to San Diego, my favorite California City, about once a year. I have a cousin in Carlsbad.

#42 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-17 09:39 PM | Reply

"You come out to SoCal, and I promise that this will be available. Even if I have to grow it myself.

#41 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11 "

Lots of 'net sites on how to do it. I first learned about it in HS from this book. I still have my almost 50 year old copy. (I also have a copy from "The Anarchist's Cookbook" from the same era. I hope typing either one of those don't bring the Feds to my door.

www.ebay.com

#43 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-17 09:42 PM | Reply

#42 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

I wouldn't have brought it up without sincerity. Would be awesome to meet you face to face. You'd really enjoy talking with a couple of my buds who line up more with your perspective on things than I do.

I live in North Park, 3 minute drive from the Zoo. Let's make this happen.

#44 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 09:43 PM | Reply

I don't need anyone who shares my perspective. Good people are good people and they exist on all wavelengths of the political spectrum.

Love Balboa Park. When I lived in OB while in the Navy, I threw a lot of Frisbees there.

#45 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-17 09:46 PM | Reply

"Igo to San Diego, my favorite California City, about once a year."

By all means, say "Hi" next time you're here, Goatman!

#46 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-10-17 09:46 PM | Reply

"By all means, say "Hi" next time you're here, Goatman!

#46 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

I need to keep a list!

#47 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-17 09:49 PM | Reply

From #40:"The goal is to graft Cannabis with fast growing hops vines, to accelerate growth. The benefit would be decreased growing time, increased trichome production, and an available product that can be extracted to make a Cannabis oil concentrate."

#48 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-10-17 09:55 PM | Reply

Thread where RoTomCotton posts a legal/political analysis by the Fox News chick, rofl.

"But that is the wrong place to look when considering impeachment. In fact, the Founders had a broader conception of bribery than what's in the criminal code.

Their understanding was derived from English law, under which bribery was understood as an officeholder's abuse of the power of an office to obtain a private benefit rather than for the public interest. This definition not only encompasses Trump's conduct"it practically defines it."

"In fact, Trump's conduct almost certainly satisfies the modern statutory standard for bribery. As Randall Eliason has explained, a quid pro quo "need not be stated in express terms; corrupt actors are seldom so clumsy, and the law may not be evaded through winks and nods." We have little doubt that a prosecutor would be able to establish a quid pro quo based on what was said on the call and the surrounding facts and context. (As an aside, Trump's conduct also likely qualifies as extortion...)"

excerpts

www.lawfareblog.com

#49 | Posted by Corky at 2019-10-17 09:56 PM | Reply

"What if you just brew with cannabis in place of hops? Anyone know if that works?

#48 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

I don't know. The book I referenced was written at a time when home brewing wasn't common. They told about it as a way to disguise the plant.

The only reason I would think that it wouldn't work is that THC is oil based and obviously brew isn't. But I don't know for sure how it would work

#50 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-17 09:59 PM | Reply

"bribery was understood as an officeholder's abuse of the power of an office to obtain a private benefit rather than for the public interest. This definition not only encompasses Trump's conduct "it practically defines it."

^
I like how we got rid of bribery in this country by narrowing the definition of "bribery."

#51 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-10-17 10:02 PM | Reply

For sure, I don't (necessarily) care about THC want to know how it tastes. And for THC there's that Sierra Nevada infused with hop oil, so other oils ought to work

Maybe I should just brew some beer with pot for hops and report back... I'm sure someone has blazed this trail already though!

#52 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-10-17 10:07 PM | Reply

When I lived in OB while in the Navy, I threw a lot of Frisbees there.
#45 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

When was the last time you went frisbee golfing?

#53 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 10:35 PM | Reply

"When was the last time you went frisbee golfing?

#53 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11 "

I threw a lot of Frisbee in my day, but surprisingly, never Frisbee golfed. I understand the game, though. Just never did it.

#54 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-17 10:38 PM | Reply

#54 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

IPAs (that you'll enjoy!), frisbee golf, and some mellow (low grade, out door) chronic freshly grown by my next door neighbor.

Cali's watin' for you, you old ------' GOAT!

#55 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 10:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"When was the last time you went frisbee golfing?

#53 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11 "

I still see in my mind the grass amphitheater outside one of the Balboa park museums (don't remember which one) where we used to toss Frisbees. But did it a lot more at OB north of the pier since that is where I lived. (lived south of the pier, but no beach there. Just cliffs)

I always go to the anchor of OB, Blacks, when I visit SD.

#56 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-17 10:46 PM | Reply

I lived in a one room house that was in the backyard of a much larger house at the end of Del Monte Street, just a block from the beach. I presume it was servant's quarters at one time. The spartan quarters didn't bother me at all. I was 20 years old and in the mythical land of California! I even had a real grapefruit tree in my backyard!. Furthest I had been from home in my life. The year I lived there was one of the best years of my life. Electronics school was easy for me and I could stay stoned and still pass.

We used to take the scary trail on the side of Sunset cliffs to thee pier never worrying about them collapsing. Good times.

#57 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-17 10:54 PM | Reply

#57 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

Hochiman trail!

That ---- is no joke.

#58 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 11:45 PM | Reply

Never mind. Not hochiman

#59 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 11:45 PM | Reply

Ho chi men

I. P. A.

#60 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-10-17 11:46 PM | Reply

The facts are laid out publicly. This author is a useful idiot and deserves to lose their job.

#61 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-10-18 09:21 AM | Reply

Goat posts here 20 hours a day. The other 12 hours of his day are spent making 50 course meals from scratch. It all adds up.

#62 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-10-18 09:24 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#62 | POSTED BY BRUCEBANNER "

If it wasn't for the 32 hour day, I wouldn't be able to make the 50 course meals.

#63 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-18 11:39 AM | Reply