Saturday, October 19, 2019

The first medals have been awarded to drone pilots involved in the fight against the Islamic State group (IS). Crews at RAF Waddington, near Lincoln, were today honoured for carrying out strikes and surveillance in Iraq and Syria.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Service medals have traditionally been awarded to those who put themselves in the way of physical danger. But the eligibility criteria were extended to reflect the changing nature of warfare. An executive officer, identified only as Andy, said: "We were not physically in the area but we contributed to the campaign, every minute, every hour we fly is on operations and it's great for the crews to be recognised for their efforts."

Comments

RPA pilots probably killed more Daesh and Taliban/ISIS-K than anyone else.

#1 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-10-20 10:17 AM | Reply

RPA pilots probably killed more Daesh and Taliban/ISIS-K than anyone else.
#1 | Posted by madbomber

But at absolutely no risk to themselves. No bravery involved.

#2 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2019-10-20 11:31 AM | Reply

Do the Brits fly on the wrong side of the sky, the same way they drive on the wrong side of the road?

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-10-20 02:59 PM | Reply

Funny. No, standard left handed pattern. Brit jets put the pilot in the left seat like the rest of the world.

#4 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-10-20 03:39 PM | Reply

"But at absolutely no risk to themselves. No bravery involved."

#5 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-10-20 08:47 PM | Reply

No bravery involved.

#2 | POSTED BY TFDNIHILIST AT 2019-10-20 11:31 AM

"And I don't need lessons from you on courage, political or personal."

-Lt. Peter Buttigieg, USNR (Ret.)

#6 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-10-20 09:38 PM | Reply

"-Lt. Peter Buttigieg, USNR (Ret.)

#6 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER "

He couldn't be retired. He's just 37 years old and it takes 20 years to retire.

#7 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-20 10:07 PM | Reply

"I'm not sure, but I don't think that was part of the criteria for this award. I think the medal is given for service in a specific theater. In this case, the aircraft were in theater, but those operating the aircraft were doing so from somewhere else.

#5 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER "

This is true. In fact, there are a lot of service rewards that don't require bravery.

#8 | Posted by goatman at 2019-10-20 10:09 PM | Reply

He couldn't be retired.

He served 2009-2017. Kick RoC's ass for lying. :-)

#9 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-10-20 10:18 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I think the medal is given for service in a specific theater. ...but those operating the aircraft were doing so from somewhere else.
#5 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

In other words, they weren't in that theater. Where the danger is, where fear and bravery exist.
I guess I should get a medal for callomg someone on the phone if they're in a war zone.

#10 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2019-10-21 04:47 AM | Reply

In fact, there are a lot of service rewards that don't require bravery.

Do any of them require TROLLing?

#11 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-10-21 07:23 AM | Reply

#7 and 9

Yes, I "lied"...I didn't bother to look up his service years, I should have said "honorably discharged".

#12 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-10-21 02:02 PM | Reply