Monday, October 21, 2019

A high school football and track coach in Portland, Oregon, was celebrated as a hero earlier this year after he disarmed a student with a shotgun.

Comments

The coach walked up to, and disarmed, a student who had a weapon, then he gave that student a hug and defused the situation.

A good ending to what may have been a very bad situation.

I saw this video on NYC TV news yesterday. It is as impressive now as it was the first time I saw it.

While I'm not a big fan of the corporate sports world, I do appreciate the connection that school coaches seem to have with students. This video illustrates that connection.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-10-21 08:53 PM | Reply

The coaches method and the situation needs to be studied intently.

#2 | Posted by Tor at 2019-10-21 09:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

100% agreed, Tor.

What could have likely been a horrible tragedy may turn-out to be a heart-warming teachable moment.

I hope this story gains traction. We desperately need more of stories like this.

#3 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-10-21 09:20 PM | Reply

@#2 & #3

(aside: how often do I put an exclamation point in my comments?)

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-10-21 09:37 PM | Reply

I watched it on ABC News. That coach is a courageous and also kind man.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2019-10-22 08:23 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I cant understand why some people are criticizing this.

It shows that mental health is at the root of most mass shootings and why people walk into public places with weapons like this. It's more of a cry for help than anything.

#6 | Posted by boaz at 2019-10-22 08:47 AM | Reply

My HS coaches were good mediators.

#7 | Posted by hamburglar at 2019-10-22 09:16 AM | Reply

...cry for help...

Since when have Republicans ever helped anyone?

#8 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2019-10-22 09:30 AM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY BOAZ

Great. But how do you identify everyone who needs help? How to you make sure they get it even against their will? And how do you make sure that help is successful enough to prevent them shooting people?

Questions the NRA refuses to answer.

#9 | Posted by Sycophant at 2019-10-22 10:50 AM | Reply

"But how do you identify everyone who needs help?"

Assume EVERYONE needs help. Because everyone does.

I gotta say tho this guy totally wrecked the active shooter protocols.

So all that freaking out and running and hiding and crying and dying could be eliminated by a single hug?

Who knew?

We all knew.

#10 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-10-22 12:12 PM | Reply

If only there was a good guy with a gun around. Did I say that right?

#11 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2019-10-22 05:17 PM | Reply

Wicked awesome.

The only coach I ever had a tight bond with was my ultimate frisbee coach and he was more a bud than mentor. I did have a couple teachers who fell in the mentor category.

Of those I could see one of them doing this, the other was a bit more abrasive but his trademark polyester pants probably would have blinded the dude, the ultimate coach probably would have been "WTF dude not cool, don't panic panic is always a bad trip"

#12 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2019-10-22 06:27 PM | Reply

I watched it on ABC News. That coach is a courageous and also kind man.

#5 | Posted by danni