Tuesday, October 22, 2019

"When I was about 8 or 9, I actually thought I was gay," said Osmond. "The reason is because I had been sexually abused to the point that men, they made me sick. I didn't trust them, I didn't like them." Wow I always thought of her as a corny empty-headed has been. I never imagined she would have the courage to talk about such suffering in public.

Comments

LOL!!!!

#1 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-10-23 06:58 AM | Reply

I believe she lost a son to suicide. I've always had sympathy for her since, and that was before I learned of the abuse she endured as a child. Rough life, but she seems to be coping and I'm glad for that.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2019-10-23 07:00 AM | Reply

Now if she'd just out the men who abused her.... I have a feeling it likely reaches into the morman church.

#3 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-10-23 07:03 AM | Reply

"I have a feeling it likely reaches into the morman church."

It 100% was Mormons... I mean LDS men who were responsible.

The term Mormon is considered an apostate term now.

I follow r/exmormon. That sub is filled with horror stories about kids getting molested and how the bishops and their families blame the children for it. Their efforts to protect the perpetrators rival the Catholics, if not surpass them.

#4 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-10-23 10:51 AM | Reply

Who else is wondering if Donny was one of the harrassers?

#5 | Posted by kudzu at 2019-10-23 11:18 AM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE

I never knew that. I'll check out the sub

#6 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-10-23 11:33 AM | Reply

Not really relevant but this post reminded me of something...

One of my close friends in high school is a Mormon. She was one of 8 kids, four boys and four girls. She was the oldest girl, third oldest sibling. Good Mormon family, did their tithing, father was a Bishop for their Ward and the mother taught Bible study. Her father started molesting her when she was 6 or 7. He convinced her using religious dogma not to say anything. He made her believe that she wouldn't enter the celestial kingdom if she said anything because it meant that she was not pure or a virgin. And she'd definitely not be able to go to BYU. The abuse continued for a couple years and then just stopped. She was grateful and believed that her prayers for forgiveness were answered. Yes, forgiveness; she believed it was her fault. What really happened was that she had aged out for his tastes and had moved on to the next daughter, who similarly didn't say anything. And then the next. And then the next. Man was molesting his daughters for over ten years and nobody spoke about it. I can't imagine how her mom, who was outwardly really a lovely woman, didn't know. Story eventually came out when the third daughter said something. The other three denied it for years. The one who spoke out, I'll call her Sue, from that point on was considered a pariah in her community. Neither she nor any of the others received counseling and nobody went to the police. This was all dealt with internally in the church, which is a way of saying not at all. Sue started drinking and using drugs at 14. The others went on with their perfect little Mormon lives. Around the time of Sue's 18th birthday she died of an overdose of prescription pills. My friend was understandably shaken by the whole thing and blamed herself. If she had said something she could have stopped the same thing from happening to her sisters. She left the church. But that was short lived. Her family convinced her that the only way to deal with what happened was to fully participate in the church. As nearly her entire world was Mormon and she was fearful of facing the world alone she agreed. She lives in Hawaii now with her Mormon husband and they've had 6 kids together. We lost touch a while ago but I think about her whenever I hear stories like this. Thanks for listening.

#7 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-10-23 11:43 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

he was raised Mormon.

#8 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-10-23 11:52 AM | Reply

I was raised Mormon. Her story is too common. Female members of my family have similar stories.

#9 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-10-23 05:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Male members of the Mormon church must have them too, they just aren't talking about them.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-10-23 05:47 PM | Reply

" Female members of my family have similar stories."

Members. Plural. I am so sorry. It's so terrible, and that's an understatement, for people to use their religion as a tool to facilitate molesting children and worse, as a means to escape culpability.

#11 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-10-23 06:31 PM | Reply

Female members of my family have similar stories.
Posted by lee_the_agent

Sounds a lot like "A Study in Scarlet," Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's very first Sherlock Holmes story.

#12 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2019-10-23 07:09 PM | Reply

Apparently at times identifying as gay really is a stage.

Can anyone really blame her?

#13 | Posted by Tor at 2019-10-24 07:12 PM | Reply

"Apparently at times identifying as gay really is a stage."

Calling it "a stage" normalizes child abuse, Tor.

That you'd make that leap, just to argue being gay is "a stage," is really something.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-10-24 07:21 PM | Reply

No what she experienced was child abuse and pretending otherwise normalizes it.

#15 | Posted by Tor at 2019-10-24 07:43 PM | Reply

That's what I said.

It's not a stage.
It's abuse.

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-10-24 10:07 PM | Reply

For her it was literally a stage.

I'm not saying that that's the norm but in this case it is an accurate description.

#17 | Posted by Tor at 2019-10-24 10:40 PM | Reply