Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Dave Chappelle has built a career on pushing boundaries and challenging social conventions. But his greatest act of defiance may have come Sunday night at Washington's Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.

Comments

"The First Amendment is first for a reason. Second Amendment is just in case the First one doesn't work out."

That will really trigger the haters.

#1 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-10-29 12:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

--with a lit cigarette in hand.

Imagine the smoke coming out of people's ears for that transgression.

#2 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-10-29 12:58 PM | Reply

Dave Chappelle for president!

#3 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2019-10-29 01:58 PM | Reply

He can't be any worse than our current turd-in-chief!

#4 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2019-10-29 01:58 PM | Reply

"I don't normally talk about my religion publicly because I don't want people to associate me and my flaws with this beautiful thing. And I believe it is beautiful if you learn it the right way." -Dave Chappelle

Imagine the smoke coming out of Dulli's arse for that transgression.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2019-10-29 02:03 PM | Reply

Chappelle came on stage to accept his Mark Twain prize for lifetime achievement in comedy with a lit cigarette in hand.
"I want every in America to look at me smoking indoors," He announced.
"I didn't ask anybody. What are they going to do? Kick me out? This is called leverage!"

Yeah, real funny guy.

#6 | Posted by LesWit at 2019-10-29 02:08 PM | Reply

IMO, his comedic brilliance is stunning. Good on him for his award...

#7 | Posted by catdog at 2019-10-29 02:12 PM | Reply

It's a shame he decided to shift to the low-hanging fruit of appealing to boomers. I guess expanding his audience to geriatrics like Nulli is how he keeps growing his brand.

#8 | Posted by JOE at 2019-10-29 02:15 PM | Reply

Very reasonable statement. It's too bad the bible-thumpers of the right and Left--AU, C'rky, and Zed--don't follow that philosophy.

#9 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-10-29 02:20 PM | Reply

I wonder how long until people figure out his walk out music, through the Chappelle Show and still used currently, is black revolutionary music that calls for overthrowing the government at gunpoint? "I'm down for runnin' up on them crackers in they city halls." Great song from Dead Prez. "You expect me to vote for the lesser of two evils? Never. It's more like the evil of two lessers."

#10 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-10-29 02:28 PM | Reply

It's a hip-hop beat.

I can write any lyrics over it.

That's the nature of hip-hop.

#11 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2019-10-29 02:52 PM | Reply

It's not the beat he picked it for, it's the lyrics lol. He's said as much. But it's Chappelle. Who doesn't love Dave Chappelle? Billy Cosby, that's about it.

#12 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-10-29 03:05 PM | Reply

oh, and the Ts.

#13 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-10-29 03:05 PM | Reply

resulted in a bevy of negative reviews from critics who say Mr. Chappelle lost his smart and progressive take on current events.

Such a weird spin. Chappelle is an artist, and so some people downgrade his work based on him not being carrying their socio-political narrative in his standup gigs?

#14 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-10-29 03:07 PM | Reply

It's not the beat he picked it for, it's the lyrics lol. He's said as much.

The song no doubt fits the underlying themes of his earliest works.

#15 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-10-29 03:09 PM | Reply

The 2nd was written for white men only, dont ya know.

#16 | Posted by bored at 2019-10-29 03:17 PM | Reply

Chappelle is a genius and so deserving. I'm very happy to see him win this.

#17 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-10-29 04:37 PM | Reply

Nulli. Your Mark Twain award is in the mail.

#18 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-10-29 04:39 PM | Reply

- don't follow that philosophy.

You mean like you exemplify Trumpism? Few are that dedicated.

You haven't the first clue about religious philosophy.... or much else these last few years.

#19 | Posted by Corky at 2019-10-29 04:57 PM | Reply

Half Baked, Chappelle Show Season 1, and For What It's Worth standup were my favorites.

#20 | Posted by hamburglar at 2019-10-30 12:40 AM | Reply

The 2nd was written for white men only, dont ya know.

#16 | POSTED BY BORED

The whole Constitution was written for white men only, don't ya know?

#21 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2019-10-30 06:52 AM | Reply

#21 | Posted by WhoDaMan, Yea, I guess that is why they added the 13th and 14th amendment.

#22 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-10-30 08:17 AM | Reply

Wasn't there a thread about men funnier than. .

#23 | Posted by Petrous at 2019-10-30 09:21 AM | Reply

Yea, I guess that is why they added the 13th and 14th amendment.

#22 | POSTED BY DOCNJO

The fact that the 13th and 14th amendment were necessary proves my point. It wasn't amended by the same people who wrote it, now was it? And it took a freakin' civil war to make it happen!

#24 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2019-10-30 04:25 PM | Reply

"Very reasonable statement."

LOL.
Don't forget to call it the Religion of Peace as you throw gays off rooftops!

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-10-30 04:29 PM | Reply

"I wonder how long until people figure out his walk out music, through the Chappelle Show and still used currently, is black revolutionary music that calls for overthrowing the government at gunpoint?"

^
Clearly a reflection of Chappelle's politics.

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-10-30 04:32 PM | Reply

How long until Republicans figure out Reagan's walk out music, Springsteen's 'Born In The U.S.A.' isn't an anthem about American exceptionalism?

Still waiting...

#27 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2019-10-30 04:41 PM | Reply

#28 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-10-30 06:57 PM | Reply

>> I'm willing to bet rage against the machine has been played at Repub rallies too.

"F you, I won't do whatchya tell me!" - (but only when a dem is potus...)

#29 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2019-10-30 07:31 PM | Reply

I still call McDonalds "whack arnolds".

#30 | Posted by Ottodog at 2019-10-30 10:14 PM | Reply

#24 | Posted by WhoDaMan, Yep, and we had the capacity to change. Many other governments have not. Remember we have been the oldest continually operating government in the world for some time now.

#31 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-10-31 07:09 AM | Reply

I never said we don't have the capacity to change. What I said was the original Constitution, as written by the "Founding Fathers" was written for white men only. It didn't include rights for black people, for native Americans, or for women. That defined the "Original Intent". The fact that it can be amended doesn't change that.

#32 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2019-10-31 11:22 AM | Reply

#32 | Posted by WhoDaMan, Don't forget the Bill of Rights was part of the original document.

#33 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-10-31 12:01 PM | Reply

Yes, but it didn't apply to blacks, native Americans, or women. Only property-owning white men were allowed to vote. Women, children, and slaves were property.

#34 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2019-10-31 12:26 PM | Reply

"I haven't looked for it, but I'm willing to bet rage against the machine has been played at Repub rallies too."

Probably
RATM was Paul Ryan's workout jam, which propelled him to his two-hour marathon victory. What's not to love.

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-10-31 02:28 PM | Reply

#34 | Posted by WhoDaMan, The framers felt the pool of voters should have skin in the game. People who have something generally want to keep what they have worked for. BTW, you brought up slavery. Slavery was universal in 1789, some European countries had outlawed slavery within their home country for their own citizens but they went hog wild for slaves in their colonies. Liverpool was built on the slave trade. Total percentage of slaves coming to us was about 5% of the total brought in from Africa. Women and children were wards of the head of household, not slaves. Children who reached majority had no obligation to live according to the wishes of the head of household. Women could and did get divorced, tho rarely and a head of household could sell neither his wife and children nor mortgage them to secure a debt.

#36 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-10-31 07:12 PM | Reply

Nothing you said refutes my original comment. The Constitution was written for white men. All you did is prove I was right.

Women and children were wards of the head of household, not slaves.
And yet, a man could rape his wife (and/or his slaves) with impunity, could marry his daughters off to whomever he thought was appropriate and under what terms he found acceptable. Women could not inherit their husband's property. The husband's estate would be put under the control of an executor who would put the widow on an allowance.

Bottom line: women and non-whites were not EQUAL to white men when the Constitution was adopted. If you can't acknowledge that, there is no point to this conversation.

#37 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2019-10-31 10:27 PM | Reply