Friday, November 08, 2019

Over the course of 11 years, Maiden's varsity team has slowly shrunk. What is happening here is happening across the country. Nationally, high school participation in 11-man football has fallen more than 10 percent since 2009.

Comments

Good news. It is a bully sport that exacts physical pain and a lot of permanent damage to everyone who plays it.

#1 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2019-11-08 10:59 AM | Reply

"It is a bully sport that exacts physical pain and a lot of permanent damage to everyone who plays it."

That's true, but it's always been that way. They can reverse the trend if they start paying all players, not just their stars but even the practice squad players, really good salaries and guarantee that their healthcare will be taken care of for life.

That said, I won't shed any tears if the trend continues.

#2 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-11-08 11:16 AM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY OLDWHISKEYSOUR

The game and sports in general has changed since I played in HighSchool/College.

Most mainstream sports have. They have become "humiliation" games, the effort to make "ESPN style" clips of humiliation of your opponent to show on social media.

Yes, even in Soccer. Its interesting to watch the change over time, not knocking Millennials, but their age perspective, I often wonder what they imagine the past was like, given the present day state of athletics and technology.

#3 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-08 11:16 AM | Reply

We had more kids out for cross country this past year than football.

I think the pressure for good athletes to play football has lessened. I know kids who played football because they were expected to but would have played soccer or ran CC if not for the sigma of being a quitter wasn't thrown at them.

This is a good thing. I'm still a football fan but football can be just fine without all of the numbers and focus.

In Kansas, 8 man and now 6 man is huge. My concern is with smaller schools that have to play 11 man because of their enrollment but don't have enough kids out to really play 11 man. What then?

#4 | Posted by eberly at 2019-11-08 11:19 AM | Reply

I'd never let my son play concussionball.

#5 | Posted by JOE at 2019-11-08 11:21 AM | Reply

#6 | Posted by bored at 2019-11-08 11:23 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

My son is a 6th grader and has played tackle football for 3 years.

but his older sister runs CC in high school and he's experienced the meets, saw her go to state, sees how cool it really is.....I won't force him on anything but I think he'll decide to run CC next year in middle school.

#7 | Posted by eberly at 2019-11-08 11:27 AM | Reply

"Oh no! Without all the brain trauma where will all the new republicans come from?"

You don't have to make this political. Enthusiasm for football is a bipartisan fetish.

"My concern is with smaller schools that have to play 11 man because of their enrollment but don't have enough kids out to really play 11 man. What then?"

Then the program shuts down for lack of interest. Back in high school there was this guy who was really good at gymnastics but there wasn't enough interest at our school for a team so the neighboring school that still had a program took him on. Couldn't that be a workable solution in many instances?

#8 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-11-08 11:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Our best athletes in my local schools are going track.

There seems to more of a chance for scholarship in track. I know really fast football and soccer players by soph year quit for track.

Why? Scholarships. Plus, the chance of injury dropped significantly. Plus, track is coed in participation and spectators

#9 | Posted by Petrous at 2019-11-08 11:45 AM | Reply

At that rate of decline, the NFL might be gone in 100 years.

#10 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2019-11-08 11:48 AM | Reply

I was pleased when my son committed to soccer (over football). I coached his kid teams and sent him away to HS, where he played. He finished up starting all his college games during s, j, and s years.

He watches football, but is okFine that he never played.

#11 | Posted by contrecoup at 2019-11-08 11:50 AM | Reply

-Couldn't that be a workable solution in many instances?

yes. Schools are sometimes engaging each other in a cooperative for a sport.

I know 2 schools that are talking right now on baseball. You have to add their enrollments together to determine what class you play in but that's fine.

#12 | Posted by eberly at 2019-11-08 11:52 AM | Reply

If history has shown that humans are good at one thing, it's adapting our world around us to cater to our leisure time. In a couple decades there could be medical solutions to everything football causes, thus allowing the sport to stay. Of course, that's history. Today's world is too full of individuals hating other individuals for absurd reasons so we spend only a fraction of our time on bettering the world and spend most of our time on trying to destroy others because of their beliefs.

#13 | Posted by humtake at 2019-11-08 11:56 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#8 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE

Newsworthy and thank you. I get really sick of the NFL and the NCAA politicizing football and ramming their version of patriotism down our throats. You can't go to a game anymore without experiencing a good hour of jingoism dispersed throughout.

I just want to watch the game.

#14 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2019-11-08 11:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I know really fast football and soccer players by soph year quit for track.

#9 | POSTED BY PETROUS

I participated in four sports, football,basketball,track; tennis season year.

I suppose today, you need to focus on one sport. But back in the day this wasn't the case, we had a focus, but pretty much participated year round in the sport of the season.

#15 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-08 11:59 AM | Reply

Football is expensive.

School athletic pay-to-play fee (for all sports) " $110
Season player registration fee " $660
(optional) summer football camp " $235

Total for season: $1005.00

In addition to the fees, Parents will still need to buy football gear, including cleats, mouth guard, gloves and more. None of these fees cover any transportation to or from games. All transportation must be provided by the athletes or their parents.

I think this is the major sticking point.

#16 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-11-08 11:59 AM | Reply

GOOD.
It's a ridiculous, anachronistic, barbaric activity; certainly one of the rot causes of much of American acceptance of violence.

#17 | Posted by e1g1 at 2019-11-08 12:00 PM | Reply

What do you mean by this?

#18 | Posted by jpw at 2019-11-08 12:21 PM | Reply

Soccer is cheaper than football.

How many referees are there in football?

I really don't know, but soccer in my neck of the woods is Two for JV and middle schools and three for Varsity.

#19 | Posted by Petrous at 2019-11-08 12:22 PM | Reply

-How many referees are there in football?

5-6

#20 | Posted by eberly at 2019-11-08 12:27 PM | Reply

About time they switch to soccer.

#21 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-11-08 12:30 PM | Reply

Illegal immigrants are to blame!
Signed,
Andrea, a mattress

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-11-08 01:17 PM | Reply

Millennials are to blame!
Signed,
Nullifidian

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-11-08 01:17 PM | Reply

In my local area some local high schools Baseball participation numbers are down.
Some schools are having problems filling JV teams.

#24 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-11-08 01:36 PM | Reply

Some schools are having problems filling JV teams.

#25 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-11-08 01:37 PM | Reply

I played TE/SE as a 120 pound HS freshman, got to swap in every other play, relaying the play calls from the coach to the QB. Some times, I wondered if I'd said the right number, but the coach never said anything, he just looked pissed as always. I remember getting smashed helmet to helmet repeatedly by some muppet, when the play was happening on the other side of the field. I started looking at him incredulously between blacking out from his collisions, and I thought "What a f-ing moron". Then I thought "This sport kind of sucks" and I ran CC for the next three falls of HS, had a lot more fun with the team and the coach.

#26 | Posted by hamburglar at 2019-11-08 02:45 PM | Reply

9 | POSTED BY PETROUS

I participated in four sports, football,basketball,track; tennis season year.

#15 | POSTED BY Fat Andy Mackris

I highly doubt you played Football and basketball. You lie, a lot.
Just like you lie about being a woman.

#27 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-11-08 03:16 PM | Reply

I highly doubt you played Football and basketball.- Aborted

Why?

There were many athletes/students that engaged in multiple sports. It's how you stayed in shape.

You sound jealous.

#28 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-08 03:36 PM | Reply

Some schools are having problems filling JV teams.
#25 | POSTED BY ABORTED_MONSON

Seems Like a trend, I haven't looked, but I would imagine sports participation might be falling in general

#29 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-08 03:39 PM | Reply

Illegal immigrants are to blame!
Signed,
Andrea, a mattress

#22 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

For what?

I blame technology.

1. For taking up mindshare.
2. Social media for Creating humiliation as the purpose

#30 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-08 03:41 PM | Reply

Too bad. Some of the best college lacrosse players were also football players...

#31 | Posted by catdog at 2019-11-08 05:58 PM | Reply

Nobody wants their kid to get a series of concussions. I met a couple of NFL players years ago and it was obvious they already had brain damage.

You want to know why there are so few white boxing champions? They have better options.

Black people are starting to have those as well.

#32 | Posted by Tor at 2019-11-08 06:29 PM | Reply

US-style football was the self asorbed ------------ of sports... alll that "world champion" b.s. when there was never any international competititors.. I think the reason it became so popular is because its easier to televise with all the stop and go action. Soccer, on the other hand, is constant motion... far more interesting and an international sport... giving actual significance "world champions".

#33 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2019-11-09 04:26 AM | Reply

I'd never let my son play concussionball.

#5 | POSTED BY JOE

Your son plays girl's soccer?

#34 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-11-09 09:16 AM | Reply

-10%? probably with a =/- 10% margin of error.

there is no way to really track that. All of the HS football games I've had gone to take cash, no tickets, nothing to track except cash. and, since there are so many that get in free there is no way to accurately say -10%

#35 | Posted by Maverick at 2019-11-09 12:28 PM | Reply

I hope MMA becomes a viable HS sport one day.

#36 | Posted by byrdman at 2019-11-09 08:05 PM | Reply

Whatever will we do without a bunch of 'roided up monstrosities banging heads against one another 70+ times per week for our viewing pleasure?
MUH SPORTBALL!

#37 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-11-10 12:11 AM | Reply

Football is down.

Shooting teams are way, way up.

#38 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-11-10 06:47 AM | Reply

hmmmm been years since high school and didn't really care for sports... now or then....

However... interesting that high schools here in Texas would spend tens of millions of dollars for a high school stadium in every high school...

When the district can pool their money together and make or buy a golf course...

How about varsity golf as a sport?

Learn how to play in high school and play it the rest of your life... till you drop...

Just a thought...

... and if one of the players decides to take a knee... the rest of the players can "club" him... caveman style...

#39 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-11-10 09:50 AM | Reply

Who remembers the sports song by Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band?
www.youtube.com