Saturday, November 09, 2019

Once, when the old spymaster thought he was dying, his eldest son came to visit him at his home in Miami. The scourges recently had been constant and terrible: lupus, pneumonia, cancers of the jaw and prostate, gangrene, the amputation of his left leg. It was like something was eating him up. Long past were his years of heroic service to the country.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

In the CIA, he'd helped mastermind the violent removal of a duly elected leftist president in Guatemala and assisted in subterfuges that led to the murder of Che Guevara. But no longer could you see in him the suave, pipe-smoking, cocktail-party-loving clandestine operative whose Cold War exploits he himself had, almost obsessively, turned into novels, one of which, East of Farewell, the New York Times once called "the best sea story" of World War II. Diminished too were the old bad memories, of the Bay of Pigs debacle that derailed his CIA career for good, of the Watergate Hotel fiasco, of his first wife's death, of thirty-three months in U.S. prisons " of, in fact, a furious lifetime mainly of failure, disappointment and pain. But his firstborn son " he named him St. John; Saint, for short " was by his side now. And he still had a secret or two left to share before it was all over.

Comments

Kennedy died in a hail of gunfire. Even the cover-up report concluded "their was probably a conspiracy".

Don't get me started on the ballistics. I will break it down for you.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-11-09 01:54 AM | Reply

Kennedy died in a hail of gunfire.

I'm not sure three bullets is a "hail".

#2 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-11-09 02:12 AM | Reply

There are thousands of people who know what "really" happened with Kennedy, and all of their stories about what went down are different.

#3 | Posted by hamburglar at 2019-11-09 05:25 AM | Reply

#3 | Posted by hamburglar The more you learn about LHO, the more you realize he could have done it all by himself. Don't involve me, I was eight years old and have an alibi.

#4 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-11-09 07:54 AM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY HAMBURGLAR AT 2019-11-09 05:25 AM | FLAG:

Been to court before? Humans are the worst witnesses.

#5 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-11-09 09:19 AM | Reply

Akums Razor states the most simple explanation is correct. I believe a man with a grandiose self importance, and a deep desire to prove himself and a phenomenal need for recognition, could take a 11 dollar rifle to work and shoot a president. It probably made sense to him at the time. If he had not ran into Officer Tippit, he would have gotten away to Mexico, and then Cuba.

#6 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-11-09 09:27 AM | Reply

"Akums Razor..."

LOL!

#7 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-11-09 11:21 AM | Reply

Ok, Occums razor, : a scientific and philosophical rule that entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily which is interpreted as requiring that the simplest of competing theories be preferred to the more complex or that explanations of unknown phenomena be sought first in terms of known quantities.

#8 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-11-09 11:55 AM | Reply

#8 | Posted by docnjo

That's a stupid idea.

#9 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-11-09 02:06 PM | Reply

#9 | Posted by HeliumRat, Do you have a better one?

#10 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-11-09 07:36 PM | Reply

#10 Listen to the audio of the gunfire. The cops motercycle was 2 miles away. That was not a motercyle backfiring. I know very well what bolt-action rifle fire sounds like from 2 miles. The other shots might have been handgun. There had to be a second gunman at least, because even Superman can't fire a bolt-action that fast. And you lose your target picture every time you reload. And when you look at the film it is really obvious the head shot came from in front. I've killed a hell of a lot of things. I know what it looks like when you do that.

#11 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-11-09 09:19 PM | Reply

I know very well what bolt-action rifle fire sounds like from 2 miles.

Yeah, just like Boaz "knew" the Vegas shooter's bump stock ARs were a "crew serve weapon".

Cuz he binder dondat.

#12 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-11-09 09:34 PM | Reply

#12 You try to fire a bolt-action that fast. And yeah I called him on that one if you don't recall. It just wasn't loud enough for crew serviced. A damn .50 cal really gets your attention. I've never used a bump stock but I can tell you that high velocity rifle fire, even the small full metal jacket stuff, is loud as hell. My SKS Commando... the report would bounce off hills miles away.

#13 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-11-09 09:47 PM | Reply

It just wasn't loud enough for crew serviced.

Based on a bunch of cell phone recordings. Right. Or were you actually there?

#14 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-11-09 09:52 PM | Reply

#12 And explain the three tramps. What kind of tramp is in a business suit and tie, with cuticles that are perfectly manicured?

#15 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-11-09 09:55 PM | Reply

that was police radio, not cell phone. I don't think Bill Gates had even been conceived yet, unless aliens where involved.

Well, with Bill I guess that's possible.

#16 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-11-09 09:58 PM | Reply

that was police radio, not cell phone.

In Vegas? In 2017? Pretty sure they had cell phones.

#17 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-11-09 10:02 PM | Reply

No, the Kennedy stuff, not Vegas. Listen to the audio.

Also like I've said tall buildings work like hills and reverb gunfire sound. It's not a hard mistake to make.... To a lot of people capable of serving the military is still sort of like a 9-5 job. Well, more like 4:30. You probably fire less than a thousand rounds a year to stay qualified. But I'm an alien superhero here to save Mankind - and I haunt the night. I know my stuff.

I am HeliumRat.

#18 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-11-09 10:27 PM | Reply

I was home sick from school that day and stayed glued to the TV for days after when the program was interrupted. I've always believed oswald's statement that he was the patsy. And after reading Norman Mailer's book about Oswald where he concludes there was no conspiracy I decided there must have been one. None of the documentaries have convinced me against it for long either. But EHH was an idiot.

#19 | Posted by grumpy_too at 2019-11-09 10:36 PM | Reply

"Kennedy died in a hail of gunfire."

Sniper fire.

Thank you very much.

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-11-09 10:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#20 | Posted by snoofy

My bad. Syntax error.

#21 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-11-09 10:45 PM | Reply

And look at the fracture pattern on the front windshield of the limousine. That's safety glass - a layer of adhesive plastic between two layers of glass. The entry point looks completely different from the exit point,. And yes I've shot safety glass. That shot came from the front. Can't ID the caliber, but I'm thinking handgun. But still could be high velocity rifle. And the first thing they did was park the limo and replace the glass. Evidence destroyed.

#22 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-11-09 11:34 PM | Reply

#11 | Posted by HeliumRat Come on, a seventy year old tape isn't going to tell you much,, like if what was recorded was an echo or a rifle report. check out the lay of what's there before you accept a conspiracy theory.

#23 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-11-10 09:34 AM | Reply

Yeah, it's not like Hunt was the kind of guy to want to be the one to solve the JFK assassination on his deathbed... but blaming a guy who wanted to be Pres bad enough to kill for it is a little absurd if that same guy refused to run for a second term.

#24 | Posted by Corky at 2019-11-10 11:42 PM | Reply

#24 | Posted by Corky Johnson had already been told by his doctors that he was dying. He had had a bad heart attack a decade before. Remember he died in '73, after being retired for four years. He was told we would not survive another term in office.

#25 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-11-11 08:03 AM | Reply

Kennedy died in a hail of gunfire.
I'm not sure three bullets is a "hail".

#2 | POSTED BY REDIAL

Goatmanesque rebuttal.

#26 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2019-11-11 10:20 AM | Reply

A distinction without a difference. That might be even more incentive to stay in office.

#27 | Posted by Corky at 2019-11-11 01:22 PM | Reply