Saturday, November 09, 2019

NASA has some good news, the world is a greener place today than it was 20 years ago. What prompted the change? Well, it appears China and India can take the majority of the credit. In contrast to the perception of China and India's willingness to overexploit land, water and resources for economic gain, the countries are responsible for the largest greening of the planet in the past two decades. The two most populous countries have implemented ambitious tree planting programs and scaled up their implementation and technology around agriculture.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Notice I didn't say "Pockistan".

Comments

"India continues to break world records in tree planting, with 800,000 Indians planting 50 million trees in just 24 hours."

So why isn't the West doing this?

Tree planting isn't as sexy as solar panels and electric cars. Need shiny things.

#1 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-11-09 11:23 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

More importantly, carbon sequestration via tree planting or new technology, obviates the real agenda of the eco-socialists: Statist control of people and resources.

#2 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-11-09 11:35 AM | Reply

www.bbc.com

...yawn.....

50 million? And then no further news.... LOL

On the other hand:

The 10 Billion Tree Tsunami

In August 2017, way ahead of schedule, Pakistan hit its target of planting a billion trees to combat the effects of climate change.

So in 2018, they decided to launch a new target - planting 10 billion trees in the next five years.

#3 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-11-09 11:36 AM | Reply

thumbor.forbes.com

As we can see from this map, the deepest green in actually northern Pakistan. LOL

And it's great that India and China have started greening.. considering both are the largest polluters in the world. They haven't done enough to reverse their polluting ways... they need to do a LOT more.

#4 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-11-09 11:40 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I didn't say "Pockistan"

See that you don't... or I'll think you have a speech defect.

#5 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-11-09 11:42 AM | Reply

--The 10 Billion Tree Tsunami

Kudos to Pakistan, which is pursing real world, practical solutions and not just exhaling hot air like Jane Fonda, Greta Thunberg, and AOC.

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-11-09 12:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

to Pakistan

See?

He doesn't have a speech defect.

#7 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-11-09 12:43 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I'm guessing Pakistan won't be painting any hideous murals like this as a substitute for action.

twitchy.com

#8 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-11-09 01:35 PM | Reply

I resisted saying it... but Greta is an ugly looking kid, specially when ranting.

That mural is too much.

#9 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-11-09 01:41 PM | Reply

I pity her future husband.... oh wait... Swedish... WHAT 'husband'? LOL

#10 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-11-09 01:43 PM | Reply

Its such a Boomer thing to actually plant trees, you know, be in nature.

I do enjoy seeing a Morally outraged millennial that drives a Stormtroopered TeslaModel3 with an iPhone in his pocket, a beard, typing away furiously (angerly?) at Starbucks with a papercup, complaining about Boomers that planted trees and cleaned rivers.

I would add, I have seen the a couple of times from Millenial types, where they hit the keyboard really hard while typing, its very strange. I wonder if its a form of virtue signalling, like "Look at me", kinda thing.

#11 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-09 01:44 PM | Reply

RE : #9 I figure JT talks trash about her I better take a look at that mural.

I think the mural does her justice.

#12 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-09 01:45 PM | Reply

--I think the mural does her justice.

i.imgflip.com

#13 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-11-09 01:49 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#13 LMAO thats pretty damn funny right there.....

#14 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-09 01:50 PM | Reply

Ok.... do you know the sad story of the Star Wars Kid?

In school... for reasons best known to him and to Gawd... this French Canadian kid uploaded THIS to YouTube:

youtu.be

After a few years he realized what he had done and he had to be admitted to the loony bin for depression.

Something similar will happen to Greta when she will see her performance on YouTube years later and go "WTF was wrong with me?"

#15 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-11-09 01:53 PM | Reply

www.ladbible.com

Star Wars Kid was a 14-year-old from Canada who recorded himself doing a load of Star Wars style choreography with what looks like a curtain rail. His name is Ghyslain Raza and he's now an adult.

It turns out that everything about the internet in those days wasn't so innocent after all. Raza had never wanted the footage to get out into the public, let alone be viewed as many times as it has.

Some estimates think it's been viewed more than a billion times, but because it predates YouTube we will never get an exact figure.

He took a lot of abuse for it too, some really horrible stuff.

In 2013, he told Macleans: "What I saw was mean. It was violent. People were telling me to commit suicide.

"No matter how hard I tried to ignore people telling me to commit suicide, I couldn't help but feel worthless, like my life wasn't worth living."

The bullying got so bad that he eventually had to drop out of school and seek expensive psychiatric help.

#16 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-11-09 01:57 PM | Reply

Greta is going to be another Star Wars Kid,

I have no doubt.

#17 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-11-09 01:58 PM | Reply

I would be scared to use plastic utensils if I saw this everyday...actually I would stop patronizing this place.

www.jta.org

Tell me she's not a cult leader.

#18 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-11-09 02:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Sad about the StarWars kid he meant no harm to no one, looks like he was just enjoying himself.

The irony is that kids life is nothing like Greta's.

Greta has been pampered and groomed to be an "iconic" symbol, of her disaffected rich white northern European parents.

#19 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-09 02:08 PM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

I really am considering putting that up at work!

Its a can't lose situation ....

I get caught I claim the company (Swedish company btw) doesn't want to protect the environment, goto the local papers.
I don't get caught and the image shames everyone there.

THEN

I grab a plastic spoon right in front of them ...

#20 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-09 02:11 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

that kids life is nothing like Greta's.

I meant Greta is also going to see the inside of a loony bin one day, the way she was behaving.

#21 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-11-09 02:13 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

It could be one of those clickety clackety mechanical keyboards which are loud af

#22 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-11-09 02:17 PM | Reply

No, I can hear him typing normally, then on the "return" key, its really a smack.

#23 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-09 02:22 PM | Reply

On this we can agree

#24 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-09 02:22 PM | Reply

RE: Greta Mural..

lots of criticism in the TL but I think this mural really ties the needles and feces together like a good rug completes a room
twitter.com

#25 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-09 06:00 PM | Reply

Amazon rainforest burning panacea.

#26 | Posted by fresno500 at 2019-11-10 01:01 AM | Reply

h0w daEr y;uO?!?
~Potato thunberg

#27 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-11-10 01:21 AM | Reply

[1] Yet China in one of the biggest polluters of the ocean.

[2] As For India:
As per a study based on 2016 data, at least 140 million people in India breathe air that us 10 times or more over the WHO safe limit and 13 of the world's 20 cities with the highest annual levels of air pollution are in India. Air pollution contributes to the premature deaths of 2 million Indians every year.
Air pollution in India - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org wiki Air_pollution_in_India

[3] Nevertheless, statistics show that Americans plant approximately 1.6 billion trees every year. Of this number, forest product companies are responsible for planting half of them.Oct 19, 2017
How Many Trees Are Planted Each Year? - Green and Growing
https://www.greenandgrowing.org how-many-trees-are-planted-each-year
Search for: How many trees are planted each year in the US?

#28 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-11-10 12:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1