Saturday, November 09, 2019

US president Donald Trump will be receiving a special gift from Berlin residents on the 30th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall--a 2.7-ton section of the wall itself.

Comments

... "No wall lasts forever. For decades the US played a major role in bringing this wall down." ...

The irony.

Pres Trump wants the wall, not because of what his supporters think it might do, but because Pres Trump looks at it as a monument to him.

Other Great Presidents have had monuments built and dedicated to them because they earned the honor.

Pres Trump wants his monument because he built it himself.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-11-09 07:59 PM | Reply

That's more than he's built.

Dulli is SO sad.

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2019-11-09 08:24 PM | Reply

"No wall lasts forever."

Wonderful statement.

#3 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-11-09 08:28 PM | Reply

The irony.

Not really, the wall was to keep people in, not out ...

#4 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-09 08:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Not really, the wall was to keep people in, not out ...

Does that matter? A wall is supposed to impede movement from one side to the other.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-11-09 08:53 PM | Reply

@#4 ... Not really, the wall was to keep people in, not out ...

The irony is that walls do not work.

As shown with the Berlin Wall.

Walls are a symptom, not a solution.

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-11-09 09:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Walls have never werked; they are a symbol of the failure of the political process to solve problems.

#7 | Posted by Corky at 2019-11-09 09:05 PM | Reply

Walls are a reaction to racism. Nothing more.

#8 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-11-09 09:06 PM | Reply

i2.wp.com

#9 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-11-09 09:12 PM | Reply

@#9

I do not randomly click through to sites I have no clue about.

(probably why my computers have never been infested with a virus in my 40 years of online participation.)

wp.com?

whois says:

Domain: wp.com
Registrar: MarkMonitor Inc.

Do you know who MarkMonitor is?

If not, why are you asking me to click through to a site they own the domain name of?

If it is so important to you, please tell me why I should click through and not be concenred about it being some random malware-propagation site.

thx.

(seriously. I mean really.)

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-11-09 09:32 PM | Reply

--why are you asking me to click through to a site

I'm not asking *you* to do anything.

#11 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-11-09 09:39 PM | Reply

The irony is that walls do not work.

You should tell Israel ....

Of course they don't last forever, but while people want to invade your country they are a good start.

#12 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-09 09:54 PM | Reply

@#11 ... I'm not asking *you* to do anything. ...

OK, my apologies.

As a participant of this august site, I had thought that when you posted a link, you thought that other participants of this site might click through that link.

So you say I was wrong in that appraisal of how discussion board work.

OK. I can live with that....

But

(you had to know there would be a "but")

Just a couple of days ago I was castigated about this very same topic.

Now I am so confused, oh so confused, as what I should do when I am presented with a link in a message. A naked link with no explanation of what might be in my future if I were to click upon said link.

You surely can understand my quandary. Do I click or don't I click?

I've lost sleep over this.

(yeah, I know, but please don't go there. :) )

NULLIFIDAN says this link is important to my understanding what he is trying to say. But if I click on it, does malware lurk therein?

A link with no, absolutely no, description of what lurks behind it.

The unknown.

The horror of a link gone bad.

What do I do?

The simple answer is I ask what is behind the link. If the link is innocent, I get a reasonable response.

In this case I did not get a reasonable response.

Sad.

#13 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-11-09 09:54 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

40 years online. I call BS

#14 | Posted by bruceaz at 2019-11-09 09:55 PM | Reply

#13 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER

Hilarious ...

#15 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-09 09:58 PM | Reply

@#12 ... You should tell Israel .... ...

Point taken.

But I'll go back to my ongoing theme.

What problem is the wall supposed to solve?

and the supplemnetal question - is a wall the better solution to the problem you cite/

Is the wall the best way to solve an economy based upon illegal immigrants.

My answer is "no."

But I am quite willing to listen to, and discuss, other possible resolutions to the problem.

#16 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-11-09 09:59 PM | Reply

@#14 ... 40 years online. I call BS ...

In 1979 I had a second phone line installed to my house so I could work from home for my job.

I was a software engineer for a company that provided an international X.25 dial-up network.

I was online and conversing on message boards in 1979.

That's 40 years ago, by my math. Your math may differ.

#17 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-11-09 10:04 PM | Reply

#18 | Posted by bruceaz at 2019-11-09 10:08 PM | Reply

@#15 ... No you are sad .... sad you'd think nulli was going to give you a virus, what a snowflake.

Hilarious ... ...

Are you saying that it is OK for me to click upon random links posted upon message boards?

#19 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-11-09 10:11 PM | Reply

@#18 ... Well, I stand corrected. You had a second phone, I thought you were connected to the Internet or something ...

Back in 1979 I wasn't connected to the Internet, but I was on an international network, Telenet.
en.wikipedia.org

The "www" aspect of the Internet had not yet been developed. But my company had internal, database-based, message boards.

When USENET ( en.wikipedia.org ) occurred, those internal message boards transitioned over to USENET.

But to your point, yeah, this was way before the whole www thing occurred.

#20 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-11-09 10:17 PM | Reply

@#18 ... You had a second phone ...

fwiw, back in 1979, a second phone line was a big thing.

I had a 1200bps modem as my connection to the online world.

1200bps.

Not 100mbps, 1200bps.

Yes One thousand, two hundred bits per second.

So I would be online for hours at a time, tying up my phone line.

There were no cell phones.

I needed to have a second phone line installed in order to get ny friends to stop telling me, "I tried to call you for hours, but your line was busy."

It was a different world back then if you were an online person.

#21 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-11-09 10:27 PM | Reply

@#14 ... 40 years online. I call BS ...

But, to be most honest with ya, if you had an objection to that comment, I'd have thought it might not be about the online aspect, but more of the "PCs were not invented 40 years ago" type of thing.

To that aspect, I had built my own PC. en.wikipedia.org

Because back then that is what you did if you wanted to be online. :)

#22 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-11-09 10:50 PM | Reply

Blompf doesn't have a wall, unlike his favoritests eber country, Isntreal.

#23 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-11-10 12:14 AM | Reply

"Ethnostate for me but not thee, goy"
Actually, it's more than that. Isntreal is a theocratic ethnostate.

#24 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-11-10 12:16 AM | Reply

"Over the past year the rabbinical courts began proposing that individuals in the process of "clarifying their Jewish states" undergo genetic testing: specifically of mitochondrial DNA, which is inherited from the mother."

waiting on leftists to accuse isntrealis of MUH RAYYCISM

#25 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-11-10 12:21 AM | Reply

www.haaretz.com

#26 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-11-10 12:21 AM | Reply

Walls don't work

#27 | Posted by hamburglar at 2019-11-10 09:30 AM | Reply

The irony.

Not really, the wall was to keep people in, not out ...
#4 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

And it dis not work for that either did it comrade?

Not even thousands of soldiers with machine guns and tanks and barbed wire could not keep the people from freedom. Which they believed was on just on the other side of that wall.

That would be a great lesson to anyone with a few functional neurons. And a little self awareness and reflection.

Too bad Trumpers don't have any of that.

#28 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-11-10 11:11 AM | Reply

Too many nots!

#29 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-11-10 11:12 AM | Reply

What the bloated------------ would really like from Berlin is a few pointers on how to effectively run a concentration camp.

#30 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2019-11-10 11:16 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Not 100mbps, 1200bps."

Those didn't exist until the late 80s.
The original acoustic coupled modem was good for 130 bps. Bits per second. Seeing as computers tend to use 8-bit bytes, thats 16 bytes per second. At one character per byte, you could type faster than it could send data.

#31 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-11-10 12:18 PM | Reply

Redial,

"Does that matter?"

The concept "good fences make good neighbors" is known around the world.

Border disputes go way back and walls/fences are a way to keep the peace.

How can anyone not see there's a difference?

#32 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-11-10 01:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"The Berlin Wall was intended to keep people in with guards instructed to shoot to kill.

How can anyone not see there's a difference?"

Our guards won't be instructed to shoot to kill?

What's the point then???

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-11-10 01:19 PM | Reply

Because back then that is what you did if you wanted to be online. :)
#22 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER

FTR, both the Apple II and the TRS-80 were released in '77, and the PC wasn't far behind in '81 (a year and a little bit shy of 40 years). I bought one of the original PCs. They had a waiting list. It took the better part of a year to get delivery (and that was as an employee at the time). IBM's build plan for the PC was 500,000 units in 5 years. They took orders for 1,000,000 units on announcement day (talk about your "pent-up demand!").

Oh BTW, I was using a Bell 103 acoustic modem in 1966 (or maybe '67) at 300 bps to connect (via paper-tape teletype) to a time-share acount on the BASIC system at Dartmouth. You had to load your program from punched tape! Fun times!

#34 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2019-11-10 01:48 PM | Reply

My PC (system unit, monochrome monitor and dot-matrix printer) including a couple of OSs (DOS and Pascal P System) and a word processor was purchased with a 50% employee discount at a price of around $1,800 (more than $5,000 in 2019 dollars). The average new car in 1980 cost around $7,000. Took 2 years of payroll deductions to pay for it :>). It had 192KB of RAM (64K on the motherboard with a 128K expansion card), and an 8-bit processor running at 4.77 Mhz.

#35 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2019-11-10 02:05 PM | Reply

I miss Compuserve. Penpals around the world. Even travelled across the US to see them. It was before, 'you met someone in person you met online?'. Different time.

#36 | Posted by Petrous at 2019-11-10 02:27 PM | Reply

I miss Compuserve.

That was really expensive.

#37 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-11-10 02:54 PM | Reply

"The concept "good fences make good neighbors" is known around the world."

So why don't you want us to be Good Neighbors with Canada, BillJohnson?

#38 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-11-10 03:23 PM | Reply

Snoofy,

Just try going into Canada without a passport.

You'll find out if you're a good neighbor.

#39 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-11-10 03:41 PM | Reply

BillJohnson, that's not even responsive to my question.

#40 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-11-10 03:41 PM | Reply

Just try going into Canada without a passport.

REAL ID is good enough.

#41 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-11-10 03:56 PM | Reply

The irony is that walls do not work.

You should tell Israel ....

The walls do nothing.

They don't impede movement. As apparent by all the tunnels discovered under them.

They don't keep the Israelis safe. As apparent by the constant reminders of how they're all living in fear.

They don't do anything at all.

Wanna know what's keeping Israel safe? America. Our military aid. Our financial aid.

#42 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-11-10 04:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Redial,

"REAL ID is good enough."

Not for international.

#43 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-11-10 06:15 PM | Reply

Not for international.

It is for Canada/US crossings.

#44 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-11-10 06:18 PM | Reply

Redial,

"Travelers also have the option of getting an Enhanced ID, which is Real ID-compliant and can be used for domestic travel, as well as for traveling from Canada, Mexico and some Caribbean countries by sea or land, but not on flights. Enhanced IDs are only available to American citizens, while anyone with lawful presence in the United States can get a Real ID."

It would appear Real ID after 2020 will work for sea or land Canadian travel but not air.

#45 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-11-10 06:28 PM | Reply

I know. I have one. Been using it for years.

#46 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-11-10 06:32 PM | Reply

Ham,

"Walls don't work"

Can you really say "locks work".

We lock our doors but people can still get in.

Like people say, "locks keep honest people honest".

#47 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-11-10 06:43 PM | Reply

Trump is being low-key roasted by Germany and he doesn't even realize it LOL

#48 | Posted by Tor at 2019-11-10 08:22 PM | Reply

France: Here's a magnificent statue to honor your ideals of freedom.

Germany: Here's a chunk of our failed wall to honor your ideals of isolationism.

#49 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-11-10 08:56 PM | Reply