Monday, November 11, 2019

The initiative, code-named "Project Nightingale," appears to be the largest in a series of efforts by Silicon Valley giants to gain access to personal health data and establish a toehold in the massive health-care industry.

Comments

[emphasis of the following is mine, both below and in the summary I posted]

...The data involved in Project Nightingale includes lab results, doctor diagnoses and hospitalization records, among other categories, and amounts to a complete health history, complete with patient names and dates of birth.

Neither patients nor doctors have been notified. .../b>

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-11-11 01:51 PM | Reply

Neither patients nor doctors have been notified.

That is quite frankly terrifying.

#2 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2019-11-11 02:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

How do they get by HIPAA?

#3 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2019-11-11 06:52 PM | Reply

I would think that they shouldn't have personally identifiable information.

#4 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2019-11-11 06:53 PM | Reply

This is both terrifying and could save and improve billions of lives.

Big data will make unforseen advances in healthcare possible.

So many "we dont know why this happens" could be answered if we just had enough data to see the patterns emerge.

#5 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-11-11 07:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"If we could track everything people do and eat, we would find out exactly what the best diet is, what foods and medicines are actually best for you and worse for you, many causes of cancer, etc."

Exactly...if done in the abstract. But if IDs are attached, you're opening Pandora's Box.

#6 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-11-11 07:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"complete with patient names and dates of birth."

Big alarm just went off.

#7 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-11-11 07:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Also, even without IDs attached, there's enough information that it wouldn't be too hard to figure out who many of these people are. There's a lot of data.

This is going to present problem. Do we just require actuaries to look the other way or what? I think the concept that data about you belongs to you, and can't used without your continued ongoing consent, seems like the only feasible legal framework to protect individuals. Naturally "conservatives" will hate that, since it's not a market solution.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-11-11 07:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"complete with patient names and dates of birth."
Big alarm just went off.

Meh.
People tell Facebook etc. their birthday all the time.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-11-11 07:40 PM | Reply

I won't own a Google device, I won't turn on Google voice assistant for anything I have at home, and I won't use gmail. Will this prevent Google from getting my data? Perhaps not, but I won't give them a dime of my money, intentionally. Read the TOS/EULA sometime.

#10 | Posted by YAV at 2019-11-11 07:40 PM | Reply

I use Apple Maps and Siri, DuckDuckGo or Bing for browsing. I still have Gmail, though I created an Outlook mail account in the past year. What about the businesses and institutions that have "Gone Google"? They've trusted Google with all their info. I don't know what's in the contracts to store all your stuff on Google servers, but I know there have been instances where it was clear that Google had passed on info to advertisers. www.ft.com

#11 | Posted by hamburglar at 2019-11-11 08:22 PM | Reply

There was a thread on /r/all the other day that claimed FB's own engineering team had internally reported getting targeted ads based on things their phones heard in the environment, i.e. not from things they browsed on the Internet. One guy started getting ads all in Spanish by leaving his phone next to a Spanish speaking radio station all day.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-11-11 08:36 PM | Reply

I would think that they shouldn't have personally identifiable information.

#4 | Posted by WhoDaMan

I would agree but there are already 2 companies out there with all that data - Siemens and GE (might be wrong on GE...) They have a huge share of the market. I believe it is like 90% combined.

#13 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-11-11 09:19 PM | Reply

Meh.
People tell Facebook etc. their birthday all the time.

#9 | Posted by snoofy

Morons do and that is their choice. I unfortunately am an Ascension patient and I certainly didn't knowingly give any consent.

#14 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-11-11 09:19 PM | Reply

#12 | Posted by snoofy

Label that scary as eff. I don't have the app and rarely even log in from a computer. I kind of have to have an account though.

#15 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-11-11 09:22 PM | Reply

" I kind of have to have an account though."

One of the big problems in the law is that your rights can be waived, and after that, they can't be un-waived.

Rights shouldn't work that way. They should be inalienable.

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-11-11 09:39 PM | Reply

Oops, I meant to quote the "I certainly didn't knowingly give any consent" part of your statement. :)

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-11-11 09:39 PM | Reply

"Meh. People tell Facebook etc. their birthday all the time."

Not with their medical history. You of all folks can see the danger if names and medical histories get connected, right?

#18 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-11-11 09:42 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

This is known as the engineering fallacy.

Not that we can't improve ... perfection is unattainable, but at this point we are only working the tails.

#12 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

AFAIK, the Mossad had this capability on all phones in Israel. This was in the early 2000's though.

Meh. People tell Facebook etc. their birthday all the time."

Not the correct birthday, I use Feb 29th, people still get pissed when they find out its not my real BDay.

RE: #18 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

In the future, just having the name and DNA will be worrisome.

#19 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-11 10:05 PM | Reply

goolag alternatives:
for search: startpage.com - uses gulag results, but doesn't give search data to Alphabet, Inc.
You could also try duckduckgo.com.
for email: protonmail.com - it's encrypted and hosted in Switzerland

#20 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-11-12 01:28 AM | Reply

>Google's 'Project Nightingale' Gathers Personal Health Data
a few years ago anyone making this assertion would have been labeled a crazy conspiracy theorist, yet here we are and google/alphabet, inc., is vacuuming up all your data and interpolating, or filling in the gaps, what little they don't have.
Will you continue to toss your personal data down the maw of the beast, or will you starve it by moving to alternative platforms? "I have nothing to hide" isn't a good argument, because, even if that's true, they will use your data in order to model, predict, and MANIPULATE future data.

#21 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-11-12 01:35 AM | Reply

See also:
The search engine manipulation effect (SEME) and its possible impact on the outcomes of elections
www.pnas.org

#22 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-11-12 01:41 AM | Reply

I just uploaded a selfie of my hemorrhoids across my entire Google footprint.

#23 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-11-12 01:45 AM | Reply

As per the Verge, Google was provided this information by a health care provider (Ascension) so that Google could build tools for that health care provider.

www.theverge.com

Google isn't the villain here; its the health care provider. With a bit more effort on their part, Ascension could have encrypted the names so that an individual could not be singled out. I don't see how the name of an individual would have any bearing on the efficacy and functionality of any tool that google could develop.

#24 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2019-11-12 06:20 AM | Reply

Nice research and find, FedUpWithPols.

#25 | Posted by YAV at 2019-11-12 08:31 AM | Reply

First, this may be nothing more than Ascension migrating to a cloud, saving them huge money by not having to worry about cyber.

However, this part of a trend. Google, in recent history, has bought Senosis and Fitbit. The fact that the Ascension deal was on the down low raises my hackles. A cynical man might look at this pattern and see Google using their world class AI capability to start going Big Brother on people's eating and activity habits. That same cynic might start paying close attention to any attempt by Google to get cozy with leading DNA testing companies or geneological services. He might also ask if there have been any backroom meetings between Google and candidates advocating universal health care.

#26 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-11-12 08:56 AM | Reply

Someone forgot the corporate motto.

#27 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-11-12 10:47 AM | Reply

"You of all folks can see the danger if names and medical histories get connected, right?"

Yeah, but what I'm saying is, from the information already provided to social media, this is already very doable, and thus, already being done.

I think it was about five years ago there was a story here about how Target knew a teen was pregnant and started sending coupons for baby stuff to the home. Only the parents didn't know their daughter was pregnant..

#28 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-11-12 03:36 PM | Reply