Monday, November 11, 2019

Only 34% of Americans say the next presidential election will be about the economy, according to a new CNBC survey.

Comments

Corporate propaganda.

#1 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-11-11 01:59 PM | Reply

The #1 issue among the youngest and oldest voters is the environment.
Older voters also cited health care and immigration as equally important.

#2 | Posted by 6thPersona at 2019-11-11 02:01 PM | Reply

78% of US workers live paycheck to paycheck
www.cnbc.com

Nearly 80 percent of American workers (78 percent) say they're living paycheck to paycheck, according to a 2017 report by employment website CareerBuilder.

Women are particularly vulnerable: 81 percent of them report living paycheck to paycheck, compared with 75 percent of men.

It's not merely those earning low wages who are struggling. CareerBuilder reports that nearly 10 percent of Americans with salaries of $100,000 or more live paycheck to paycheck as well.

That means that many workers aren't able to put anything significant into savings. More than 50 percent of respondents say that they save less than $100 per month.

And a comparable 2017 survey from GOBankingRates found that 61 percent of Americans don't have enough money in an emergency fund to cover six months' worth of expenses.

Debt is also a growing issue for workers, CareerBuilder reports. Just more than 70 percent of all respondents say that they're in debt, and a quarter of workers say they weren't able to make ends meet at the end of every month of the past year.

Not propaganda -- QFT

#3 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-11-11 02:04 PM | Reply

"CareerBuilder reports that nearly 10 percent of Americans with salaries of $100,000 or more live paycheck to paycheck as well."

Every time I see this in a client, I warn them. I tell them I see equations all the time, and theirs scares the sh^t out of me.

One time, it was a couple making about $260K, and they couldn't seem to pay a bill on time, or save a dime for retirement. When I warned them they're in for a nasty shock when they retire, he responded by saying, "Well, I've penciled it out, and if I stay at this job another 20 years, I'll retire with a pension of $100,000 a year!" (btw...he's gone from the job already)

I congratulated him, and then wondered aloud: since that was only HALF of what they were spending now, exactly what they were planning on giving up when they retired? Clearly, no one had ever couched their predicament in those terms. They were stunned, and as a result, he started putting away $250/month.

Two months later he calls me: "We got a problem," he said, "I told them to take out $250, and they only took out $175." I asked him what his paystub showed, and he said $250/month. "But," he added, "my take-home only dropped by $175."

I had to point out the additional $75 would've gone to taxes, and for them, putting away $250 a month didn't cost $250 a month. I use this example all the time to teach folks saving money isn't as expensive as you think. Saving $250 didn't cut $250 from their budget, only $175.

#4 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-11-11 03:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Over 20 years ago, I had to help people with making ends meet. After having been homeless and sleeping on the street, I have an odd POV to life. When I talked to people, it was interesting (frightening) what was considered needed vs wanted.

When you think of need, food and water. Then, place to sleep. Then work. Work provides food, drink, roof.

By the time I explained reaching the basic necessities of life, what is needed is really want.

Saying no to yourself is hard when you think now is better than later.

What makes you happy? Well, a bed to sleep in. Three meals, even if its cereal. Being clean...sounds weird? Heck, a bathroom is great to have, a toliet! Not worries of bugs are in my clothes. Not worrying that the clothes on my back is not all I have to wear.

Having pride, losing it, letting go of it for a chance to live again, and pride in being given a hand, and being thankful.

#5 | Posted by Petrous at 2019-11-11 06:17 PM | Reply

it is up to the individual to take advantage of this great economy. if you are stagnate with your current status you need to move forward, educate yourself, train, look for opportunities, etc.

if you are not moving forward, you are moving backwards........others that are moving forward will pass you by

#6 | Posted by Maverick at 2019-11-11 07:05 PM | Reply

Healthcare. Being clean amounts to good health, I'd surmise.

#7 | Posted by hamburglar at 2019-11-11 07:07 PM | Reply

People just over spend (which helps the economy btw) they think when they reach retirement something will magically happen to make it work for them. How many people do we all know that bitch about not having enough money and in the same breath ask you where you want to go out for dinner that night?

#8 | Posted by fishpaw at 2019-11-12 02:28 PM | Reply

I enjoy Ramen noodles.

They are delicious. And inexpensive.

Perhaps you've heard of FIRE - Financially Independent Retire Early?

My goal is to be Financially Independent, Ramen Eatin'

#wealththroughprivation
#spicykimchi

#9 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2019-11-12 02:49 PM | Reply

Ever go to the class reunion? There's the have and have not.

The complainers enjoyed the night, despite telling their woes.

After the party, it was weekends as usual...most hit the bars to get drunk.

Yeah, you were cheated.

#10 | Posted by Petrous at 2019-11-12 03:11 PM | Reply

2020 is about removing Trump.

#11 | Posted by moder8 at 2019-11-12 03:51 PM | Reply