Tuesday, November 19, 2019

The US government says sleeping in the office is a no-no. But experts say it's time they reconsider, writes Jonathan Berr. The US government has decided to get tough on naps.

Comments

You mean there isn't a nap time now?

Poor babies..

#1 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-18 11:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

A democrat will sue.

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-11-19 12:16 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

A 15 minute power nap does wonders.

#3 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-11-19 06:44 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

@#1 ... You mean there isn't a nap time now? ...

Some companies allow it, and have found a productivity increase that more than justifies it.

The question seems to become --- does a company want productive employees, or does a company want employees that just put in the time?

Nap vs. Caffeine vs. More Nighttime Sleep?
www.psychologytoday.com

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-11-19 10:05 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

A 15 minute power nap does wonders.

#3 | Posted by Nixon

Sure, on your own time.

#5 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-11-19 10:39 AM | Reply

@#5 ... Sure, on your own time. ...

I've no problem with that aspect of it.

Just like standing outside smoking a cigarette multiple times a day should be on your own time. Or multiple coffee breaks a day. Etc.

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-11-19 11:23 AM | Reply

The issue I am sure is that they are napping on "company" time.

I know of people that take naps in their cars for lunch.

No big deal.

#7 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-19 11:33 AM | Reply

Not-liberals are still mad we have weekends, child labor laws and lunch breaks. It's inexcusable to take a nap on your break...

#8 | Posted by chuffy at 2019-11-19 03:57 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

All that means is 15 uninterrupted minutes on they cell phone. No nap.

#9 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-11-19 04:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

@#7 ... The issue I am sure is that they are napping on "company" time. ...

If the company allows for naps, then your comment is self-negating.

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-11-19 04:22 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY CHUFFY

Weekends and lunch breaks a cool ... child labor laws are -------- though ...

#11 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-11-19 04:24 PM | Reply

child labor laws are -------- though ...
#11 | POSTED BY MATTRESS

The mattress is mad it can't send kids into coal mines.

#12 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-11-19 04:29 PM | Reply

A democrat will sue.

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism

Well around here the conservatives are the ones that do it here today - yes in the office.

#13 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-11-19 04:46 PM | Reply

I've done it during lunch. Tinted windows + sun shade + alarm + a coffee nap & food coma. Definitely a productivity boost

#14 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-11-20 05:42 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Sure, as long as they do it on their 15 minute break.

#15 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-11-20 10:53 AM | Reply

Sure, as long as they do it on their 15 minute break.

#15 | POSTED BY MSGT

#16 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2019-11-20 11:20 AM | Reply

"Yeah, because we must recognize the Supremacy of Capitalism over the lives/well-being, and apparently the productivity of the workers. Authoritarians are control freaks."

Authoritarians?

Maybe employers should be forced to allow workers to drink on the job or get high as well.

#17 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-11-20 03:33 PM | Reply

I don't even understand this. I don't sleep much at night. In the absence of chemicals, I couldn't sleep during the day if I wanted to.

#18 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-11-20 03:34 PM | Reply

Government employees are still going to sleep at work. I've done it many times. When you're engaged in 24/7 ops, you've got to sleep when and where you can.

#19 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-11-20 03:36 PM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

#20 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2019-11-20 03:50 PM | Reply

Or are "conservatives" exempt from biology?

#20 | POSTED BY WHODAMAN

"Do the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove?"

#21 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-11-20 03:56 PM | Reply

"Then you are either chronically sleep-deprived, or you are something other than a biological human. Or are "conservatives" exempt from biology?"

The human body will always get as much sleep as it needs...all other things being equal. The only exception is humans with something called Fatal Familial Insomnia. It is as bad as it sounds, but very, very rare.

Most military training includes sleep depravation, which increases based on the severity of the training. At the extreme end, Navy SEALs are allotted less than five hours of sleep over a ~120 period of time.

The older I get, the less I sleep. More importantly, the less it bothers me. I'm in a position where I could nap at work if I felt the need, and no one would question me. Of course I could also just go home and sleep in my own bed if I were that tired...I might even be ordered to do so. But I'm not much of a sleeper to start with.

#22 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-11-21 05:03 PM | Reply

I'm assuming normal work day hours...not military, or 12 hour shifts or night shifts, etc.

#23 | Posted by eberly at 2019-11-21 05:20 PM | Reply

"I think the vast majority of people who need a nap during the work day simply don't get enough sleep at night."

During tax season, I work every day: morning, afternoon, and evening; 14-18 hr workdays are the norm. I used to be working so late at my desk, I'd start to nod off. I'd shake out of it, and drive on, but I began to notice after that point I was much less efficient, and much more prone to error, so I created a new rule: If I nod off, even for a moment, that' s the end of the day, and that's when I go to bed. I noticed almost immediately my error rate dropped, and I became much more efficient during the rest of the day.

Over the years, that rule has morphed, particularly since my heart attack: Now, if I hit a wall at any time during the day, and either lose focus or start to f^ck around, it's time for a nap. I realize fully, when I wake up, it's right back to the desk, but it's helped with efficiency and focus so much, I've made it a work rule, for both myself and my assistants:

Sometimes, the most efficient thing you can do at work is take a nap.

#24 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-11-21 05:46 PM | Reply