Thursday, November 21, 2019

Chris Cillizza: But there was one piece of Sondland's testimony that didn't get as much attention as it should have. Under questioning from Intelligence Committee chair Adam Schiff (D-California) about the specific nature of the quid pro quo between President Donald Trump and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, Sondland said this: "He had to announce the investigations. He didn't actually have to do them, as I understood it."

Comments

Bingo. This destroys the argument that trump actually cared about corruption. He just wanted a video clip that he could use to IMPLY corruption, because that's all he needs.

#1 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-11-21 06:44 PM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

Trump cares deeply about corruption and I find it truly offensive that you'd suggest otherwise.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

#2 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-11-21 06:47 PM | Reply | Funny: 7

#2 - I actually laughed out loud on that one

Of course this was the point. He wanted to be able to chant "lock him up" with the crowds like he did Hilary. He wanted to crow about an investigation that would never end (because it hadnt began...) all through the campaign and motivate his base.

#3 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2019-11-21 06:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Idaho,

I'm glad you took it in the manner I intended.

To your point - Trump is a paranoid, narcissistic carnival-barker. I think one of the worst jobs in the world has to be being one of his advisers. Can you even imagine the constant knots in your stomach dreading his next impulsive and offensive tweet?

#4 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-11-21 06:54 PM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

I agree and we are seeing some of that with the enormous turnover in his administration. I still dont understand how you of all people cannot agree that the Ukraine issue should be impeachable no matter the party affiliation but that is a frustration I have to deal with on my own.

#5 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2019-11-21 07:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4 | Posted by JeffJ

He's worse. A carnival barker is just trying to con you out of pocket change. Trump has a bottomless pit in his soul that he uses the powers of the state to try and fill. And he attracts evil sociopaths that take advantage of the opportunity he provides them to scam and con and harm innocent americans for their own benefit.

Can you imagine the type of person that puts their reputation on the line to protect him - like the entire republican party is doing right now? No one with even an ounce of ethics or patriotism.

#6 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-11-21 07:12 PM | Reply

Trump has a bottomless pit in his soul that he uses the powers of the state to try and fill. And he attracts evil sociopaths that take advantage of the opportunity he provides them to scam and con and harm innocent americans for their own benefit....

#6 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

You're really beginning to anger me with these hateful attacks on Trump. Tens of thousands of Trump U graduates are now self-made millionaires. Trump's personal sacrifices are legendary. Think about all of the lives he positively impacted while he selflessly survived his own personal Viet Nam. I'd be willing to bet that he tips the hookers who service him. I cannot believe how vile you are.

#7 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-11-21 07:27 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#5 | POSTED BY JUSTAGIRL_IDAHO

My favorite is Hope Hicks and it's due to a SNL bit about her departure. This is paraphrased from memory of Alec Baldwin portraying Trump:

"I was so sad to see her leave. But I sure did enjoy watching her walk away."

#8 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-11-21 07:30 PM | Reply

It's great that humor is all you have left Jeff...

#9 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2019-11-21 07:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Jeff has come as close to giving up as he will get.

#10 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2019-11-21 09:34 PM | Reply

I will never give up, OWS.

I will hound your wrinkled body to the grave.

#11 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-11-21 09:44 PM | Reply

I think one of the worst jobs in the world has to be being one of his advisers.
#4 | Posted by JeffJ

On the other hand you don't have to worry about whether your advice is good. He's not going to pay any attention to it anyway. So I think that would lower your stress.

#12 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2019-11-21 10:21 PM | Reply

"I still dont understand how you of all people cannot agree that the Ukraine issue should be impeachable"

There is an explanation.

It's called the Eleventh Commandment.

The Eleventh Commandment (Ronald Reagan) The Eleventh Commandment was a phrase used by President Ronald Reagan during his 1966 campaign for Governor of California. The Commandment reads: Thou shalt not speak ill of any fellow Republican.

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-11-21 11:24 PM | Reply

Who's talking about giving up?

Trump hasn't even begun to fight.

#14 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2019-11-22 12:24 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Hey guyzzzz -- remember when you thought Trump's Syria policy was impeachable? LAST MONTH!

And then the Kurds thanked Trump and Trump sent the ISIS #1 & #2 to meet their maker.

LOL

#15 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2019-11-22 12:27 AM | Reply

Trump hasn't even begun to fight.
#14 | POSTED BY DIXVILLENOTCH

Which is incredibly telling. The piece of ---- sitting in the WH thinks he's above the law.

You seem to agree.

Volumes that speaks about you, DIX.

#16 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-11-22 12:37 AM | Reply

DIX is probably right. Things are going to change when this goes to the Senate and the majority changes.

To get the sea change Pelosi needs to convict would take a tectonic shift and we all know (including Trump) that's not going to happen. Her bet hope is that the voters will be so outraged by the House investigation they won't re-elect. It's compelling and certainly disgusting but not fatal to Trump. I hope Pelosi has another ace up her sleeve.

#17 | Posted by Twinpac at 2019-11-22 02:04 AM | Reply

The other thing missed by the media is that this whole exercise is a sham. It is NOT about being a QUID-PRO-QUO demand by Pres Trump the truth is all about it being a PRO-BONO deal where the Ukrain, as always, got their money and their aid and their Javelins for doing NOTHING. And that is an impeachable offense.

#18 | Posted by SJHamilton at 2019-11-22 08:29 AM | Reply

Really, Trump did it personally?

I recall he almost f#$&ed it up with his sudden, I'll advised withdrawal decision.

Also

www.nbcnews.com

That's why you don't rely on a brain dead large barge to make unilateral decisions.

#19 | Posted by jpw at 2019-11-22 09:10 AM | Reply

You have to be a fool or an enabler to claim Trump cares about corruption in Ukraine. Or really, anything other than himself.

#20 | Posted by cbob at 2019-11-22 09:54 AM | Reply

#1 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-11-21 06:44 PM | Reply | Flag

In fact, when the investigation turned up no corruption that would hurt Fat Nixon. He was hoping Monica Zelensky would do the presser only.

#21 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-11-22 10:26 AM | Reply

Because most of the GOP do not have the spine to stand up to Fat Nixon. They fear him. More importantly the fear the people (Russian oligarchs) that support him.

#22 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-11-22 10:28 AM | Reply

"The other thing missed by the media is that this whole exercise is a sham. "

It's a constitutional process you dimwit. Are you saying our constitution is a sham?

It is your duty to support and defend this process from all enemies foreign and domestic. Including yourself. You seem to be a domestic enemy of the constitution! Dont make me get my 2nd amendment out! I will use it!

Anyway , I guess you need to do something about you and your attacks on the Constitution. Perhaps you are not even American. That could explain why you are such a

Traitor.

#23 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-11-22 11:48 AM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY TWINPAC

She has Time up her sleeve. Let the evidence seep into our collective consciousness. It takes time.

I, like Lt Col Vindman, still have faith in America.

Time changes everything. Don't listen to fools like Ira or Nulli. Give it some time my friend. And have faith.

Time heals all wounds and wounds all heels.

Semper Fi

#24 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-11-22 11:55 AM | Reply

SJHamilton @ #18

You are so woefully uninformed.

Go back to the kiddie table.

#25 | Posted by Twinpac at 2019-11-22 11:55 AM | Reply

DONNER

I liked all the witnesses.

Sondland was especially entertaining. Since Perry and Vokler fled the scene, Sondland was the last of the 3-Amigos left holding the bag. He handled it nicely by throwing the whole bunch under the bus.

Of course, now his days are numbered ~~ not that he cares. He's the owner of a chain of hotels and wealthy in his own right. He'll just disappear back into obscurity from which he came.

Although he did pay a million bucks for that job. He probably thinks he didn't get much bang for his bucks.

Pompeo may resign but he's still useful to Trump ~ providing Kansas is "red" enough to give him a soft landing in the Senate.

#26 | Posted by Twinpac at 2019-11-22 12:10 PM | Reply

DONNER

" Give it some time my friend. And have faith. "

I do. America always finds a way to correct her mistakes.

At the very least, the Dem candidate across the country, State and Federal, have enough soundbite loops to last them for the next year.

#27 | Posted by Twinpac at 2019-11-22 12:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

At the very least, the Dem candidate across the country, State and Federal, enough soundbite loops to last them for the next year.

#27 | Posted by Twinpac

They're stale already. Supply has outpaced demand to the point that the hearings aren't even televised.

Enjoy your soundbites.

*yawn*

#28 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2019-11-23 12:43 PM | Reply

DONNER
" Give it some time my friend. And have faith. "

I do. America always finds a way to correct her mistakes.

#27 | Posted by Twinpac

Too maudlin by half. I give your combined performances *1 star*

#29 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2019-11-23 12:47 PM | Reply

#27 | Posted by Twinpac

They're stale already.

#28 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 201

Devin Nunes doing the work of Putin and Russian intelligence during an impeachment hearing is going to have an amazing shelf-life.

#30 | Posted by Zed at 2019-11-23 12:56 PM | Reply

America always finds a way to correct her mistakes.

#27 | Posted by Twinpac

Too maudlin by half.

#29 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2019-11-

Spoken like the patriot we know you are.

#31 | Posted by Zed at 2019-11-23 12:57 PM | Reply

Ever think Trump is correcting America's mistakes?

*nah*

You think Putin wants American energy independence, low oil prices, record low unemployment across the board, rebuilding the US military, better service for our veterans, support for police, better border control to reduce human trafficking, drug trafficking and criminal passage, shutting down Iran's illicit nuclear program, ending TPP, renegotiating NAFTA to promote American jobs, avoiding getting ripped off through the Paris Climate Accord, wipe out the ISIS caliphate, kill ISIS leaders, reduce our trade deficit with China, etc etc.

I know your Dem candidates are promising to reverse the progress.

So, you can *hope*.

#32 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2019-11-23 01:30 PM | Reply

Ever think Trump is correcting America's mistakes?

Only if you believe Obama was a mistake.

Which. It being you...

#33 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-11-23 01:42 PM | Reply

The rest of 32 is pure trolling.

But. Again. It being you...

#34 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-11-23 01:43 PM | Reply