Friday, November 22, 2019

A new horse is joining the stable. Ford's all-electric, Mustang-inspired SUV is finally here, revealed Sunday evening ahead of the 2019 LA Auto Show. Meet the Mustang Mach-E.

Comments

Baffling. I know Ford is trying to get out of Cars and the Mustang is actually the last car it sells in the States but this Smacks of Mustang II and Pinto. Not that I think the car nearly THAT bad but it is an SUV. In fact it could be quite good but why on earth would you name it Mustang Mach-E? Are they daft? Then they claim it's a Mustang - It IS NOT a car. How about being original. It isn't even that stylish.

And I am sorry but I still think that screen in the Tesla is obnoxious. Especially driving at night but to put an even bigger one in? Someone had screen size envy... What's wrong with what works? The big deal is it is going to make aftermarket swaps impossible - you are stuck with what it came with.

And in the era of just BAD decisions by Ford - Ford Mustang SUV - New Era of Over the Air updates

#1 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-11-21 04:47 PM | Reply

That ain't no mustang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-11-21 05:09 PM | Reply

So Ford out did themselves and made an even uglier Mustang??? Not surprised.

#3 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-11-21 08:28 PM | Reply

Ain't no Mustang uglier than THIS Mustang. I'm the Mustang Mach-O.

Mach-O, Mach-O Man....

#4 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-11-21 08:37 PM | Reply

dang it my link to the Over the Air updates failed.

#5 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-11-21 09:08 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#4 | Posted by MUSTANG

Should have called it the Mustang III

#6 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-11-21 09:09 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

So this is what passes for a good idea at Ford?

#7 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2019-11-21 11:46 PM | Reply

It's reasonable. $50k electric car with credits, and they meet federal production requirements without having to make or sell all that many.

#8 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-11-22 09:13 AM | Reply

Based upon what I've read the only real mistake is calling this thing a Mustang. Call it something else. In the late 80's Ford developed a replacement for the Fox body Mustang. Problem was it was front wheel drive, no V8 option and some Japanese parts. They realized the car would alienate purists so they kept the Mustang as it was (all the way through 2005 before they ditched the Fox platform. They kept the live rear axle until 2015) and launched this new platform using the name: Probe.

#9 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-11-22 09:24 AM | Reply

The car looks nice. I've owned about Six various Mustang GT's over the years. I might be interested, especially at this price point.

#10 | Posted by boaz at 2019-11-22 12:48 PM | Reply

It's pays homage to the 72 Mach I Mustang. Just as ugly.

#11 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-11-22 01:18 PM | Reply

Finally mainstream automakers start making EVs that are desirable, instead of making odd looking electric dorkmobiles so they can claim "No ones buying them! See? No one wants EVs!"

Tesla proved that if you make a sexy fast EV with a good charging network, people will buy it.

The legacy companies were sabotaging their own future to protect their dealer network because EVs dont require as much maintenance.

#12 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-11-22 02:25 PM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

"Who killed the electric car?"
www.imdb.com

#13 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-11-22 02:26 PM | Reply

--Tesla proved that if you make a sexy fast EV

Exactly what I've been saying. Upper and middle class smuggies want sexy, shiny things they can brag about to anyone listening. It's a lot more sexy than tax subsidies going to more cost-effective solutions like planting trees. How can you brag that you are "saving the planet" if you can't drive around town in your sexymobile?

#14 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-11-22 02:53 PM | Reply

#14 | Posted by nullifidian

Because your brain is broken and you're a loser who never accomplished anything, you cant conceive that anyone would want an electric car for anything other than bragging about it.

#15 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-11-22 02:55 PM | Reply

"Upper and middle class smuggies want sexy, shiny things they can brag about to anyone listening"

Clearly the problem is the existence of the middle class.
Thanks, Capitalism!

#16 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-11-22 03:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#9 | Posted by JeffJ

I mostly agree with you. Name is the issue for me. I guess I am a Mustang Purist. It honestly irritates me when companies devalue a brand and that's what it is. I have no issue with the specs or the vehicle itself - but it is no Mustang.

On the Fox bit... The true Fox platform went away in 1993 IMHO. It ran from 1979-1993. 1994 is a redesigned fox platform called the SN-95. SN-95 was 1994-2004. I say a redesign because virtually all it was significantly redesigned. Only the floor pan and front suspension crossmember were unchanged.

Interesting how many cars were made on that platform though.

#17 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-11-22 04:49 PM | Reply

#11 | Posted by Nixon

I used to love them when I was a kid... lol

#18 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-11-22 04:50 PM | Reply

"I have no issue with the specs or the vehicle itself - but it is no Mustang"

Neither is this, in my opinion:
The third-generation Mustang was produced by Ford from 1978 until 1993. Being built on Ford's Fox platform, it is commonly referred to as the Fox-body Mustang.
en.wikipedia.org

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-11-22 04:54 PM | Reply

It's so ugly! The cybertruck is better looking than the mustang suv.

#20 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2019-11-22 05:55 PM | Reply

Introducing The Ford Gelding.

#21 | Posted by LesWit at 2019-11-22 08:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

The car might be decent, but it sure doesn't look like a Mustang. If it flops, it hurts the Mustang brand.

#22 | Posted by cbob at 2019-11-23 09:47 AM | Reply

Looks like a cheap copy of a Chevy Sunfire...

#23 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-11-23 05:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It looks like all run of the mill crossover suvs. They sell very well.

#24 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-11-24 11:23 AM | Reply

Best new car since the Aztek.

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-11-25 04:45 AM | Reply

Can't tell if you are joking about how badly the Aztek did in sales or you are one of the folks like me who see the Aztek as tragically ahead of it's time.

Pretty much the first small crossover it had a lot of great design elements and even today as you drive down the road you will see shades of the Aztek on a lot of the vehicles around you.

Whichever Aztek camp you belong in I think you maybe right on this one. It will probably flop in sales and in 15-20 years we will be looking at a bunch of imitators. I just hope it doesn't take Ford the way of my beloved Pontiac.

#26 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2019-11-25 05:17 AM | Reply