Tuesday, November 26, 2019

President Trump had already been briefed on a whistle-blower's complaint about his dealings with Ukraine when he unfroze military aid for the country in September. Lawyers from the White House counsel's office told Mr. Trump in late August about the complaint, explaining that they were trying to determine whether they were legally required to give it to Congress.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Comments

Mr. Trump faced bipartisan pressure from Congress when he released the aid. But the new timing detail shows that he was also aware at the time that the whistle-blower had accused him of wrongdoing in withholding the aid and in his broader campaign to pressure Ukraine's new president, Volodymyr Zelensky, to conduct investigations that could benefit Mr. Trump's re-election chances.

The complaint from the whistle-blower, a C.I.A. officer who submitted it to the inspector general for the intelligence community in mid-August, put at the center of that pressure campaign a July 25 phone call between the presidents, which came at a time when Mr. Trump had already frozen the aid to the Ukrainian government. Mr. Trump asked that Mr. Zelensky "do us a favor," then brought up the investigations he sought, alarming White House aides who conveyed their concerns to the whistle-blower.

He got caught and tried to make it seem like normal procedure when it was far from anything but.

How do I know that?

Two officials at the White House budget office resigned this year after expressing concerns about President Trump's decision to hold up congressionally approved security assistance to Ukraine, a third aide at the office told impeachment investigators, revealing dissent within a key agency about Mr. Trump's insistence on freezing the money.
People don't resign when normal practices are being executed, saying so because of discomfort with its abhorrent nature.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2019-11-26 08:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Good piece to the puzzle, TONY.

#2 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-11-26 08:13 PM | Reply

The timeline gets more and more interesting.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-11-26 08:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#3 I disagree.

At this point it's just a dog pile of Republican cultists chanting "not impeachable not impeachable".

Which is sad, not interesting.

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2019-11-26 11:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Wow, if he was holding an Aide to Ukraine against his/her will, he should be impeached.

#5 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-11-26 11:32 PM | Reply

@#4 ... #3 I disagree. ...

Great, let's talk and learn....

... Only because anybody who isn't a brain dead sycophant knows Trump is guilty as sin. ...

Well, I'm not at the "guilty as sin" point just yet.

OK, I have to admit a prejudice here. I have read about citizen Trump in local media for decades, I'm in the New York City metro area. Way before he ran for President (this time) I thought he was a low-life sleazy ------- of a NYC real developer. (I am being kind) [1]

However, once the transition to the Oval Office occurred, I had to reset my opinion because I respect the Office of the President.

Since he has occupied the Oval Office, I am not yet willing to say that he is guilty as sin.

However, based upon the evidence I have seen, that is my leaning.

I'd really like his current direct reports (i.e., those with first hand knowledge) to testify to confirm or deny that leaning.

1- some say that the Oval Office does not make the man, the Oval Office amplifies the man who occupies it.v

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-11-26 11:50 PM | Reply

I nominate Lamplighter as poster of the year.

#7 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-11-27 09:09 AM | Reply

#1 | Posted by tonyroma

Don't forget the WH emails discussing how to describe the Quid Pro Quo as not a Quid Pro Quo AFTER it all came out.

#8 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-11-27 10:52 AM | Reply

#8 Obviously Mulvaney's copy went to his spam folder.

You can't tell someone to not commit the crime AFTER they committed the crime on your orders.

#9 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-11-27 12:50 PM | Reply

Whelp, there goes one of the four coincidences I laid out yesterday.

Wonder when the other three will fall.

#10 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-11-27 01:17 PM | Reply

As we learned in the Hearing, Trump didn't release the aid until he was caught holding it up.

The meme that Trump did this, but there was no actual quid pr quo is like saying the bank robber who was holding up the bank didn't do anything wrong because he ran away when the alarm went off.

#11 | Posted by Corky at 2019-11-27 03:00 PM | Reply