Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Two officials at the White House Office of Management and Budget recently resigned in part over concerns about the holdup on Ukraine aid, a career employee of the agency told impeachment investigators, according to a transcript of his testimony released Tuesday.

Comments

In findings based on documents turned over by the OMB, the Democratic-led House Budget Committee cites unusual steps the OMB took over the summer as it moved to hold up nearly $400 million of State Department and Pentagon assistance for Ukraine that had been approved by Congress, including several discussed by Sandy in his testimony to congressional investigators.

These included putting political appointee Duffey in charge of signing off on spending in late July, after Sandy raised concerns, and delaying funds in a way that limited agencies' ability to spend congressional appropriations by the end of the fiscal year.

The latter move would be a violation of the Impoundment Control Act of 1974, which was passed in response to actions by President Richard M. Nixon. This was the law that Sandy told investigators an OMB legal division officer had voiced concerns about when resigning. Sandy said the official, whom he did not name, did not agree with the position of the OMB's general counsel that withholding the money was legal.

Of course a law put in place in response to Nixon's illicit machinations during Watergate would come back into play as Trump is suffering the same fate.

It's called kizmet.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2019-11-27 01:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

In another thread Avigdore is still pretending there was no hold up of funds. When you choose to believe things that aren't true it makes you a liar.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2019-11-27 08:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

A cult of personality.

#3 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-11-27 08:50 AM | Reply

In other words, Congress appropriated military aid for Ukraine, which obligated the Trump administration to disperse those funds. Except in this case, Trump didn't " because he wanted to use those funds to extort officials in Kyiv.

And that, in turn, contributed to two White House budget officials quitting in frustration. One of them reportedly concluded that the president's efforts were illegal. Sandy himself did not resign, but he too testified that he was concerned about the illegality of the Trump gambit and took those concerns to his superiors.

It was at that point that the White House transferred power away from Sandy and to the former chair of the Wisconsin Republican Party, political appointee Mike Duffey " a move without precedent at the OMB.

A Washington Post report added, "Sandy's testimony is the first public confirmation that the dispute at the OMB over the handling of the Ukraine aid became so intense that it contributed to resignations from the agency."

Sandy also testified that it was the president who personally ordered the pause on Ukraine aid, not for policy reasons, but because he'd seen a media report in June. We don't know exactly what report that may have been, though there was a lot of speculation overnight about this article in the conservative Washington Examiner.

So where does that leave us? Trump ordered the hold on Ukraine aid; officials in the White House budget office thought this was illegal; two of then resigned and one of them was cut out of the allocation process; and there's a paper trail that backs up all of this.

Another day, another impeachable offense. Happy Thanksgiving from America's biggest turkey!

#4 | Posted by tonyroma at 2019-11-27 08:59 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Clearly never Trumpers that are part of the deep state conspiracy to get Hillary in the WH.

We really should ban any Trump supporter from voting for 12 years. I'm betting 90% of our shared woes would get solved with those monkey turds off our backs.

#5 | Posted by jpw at 2019-11-27 09:14 AM | Reply

RoC will be along anytime to say there was no Quid Pro Quo and that this was perfectly legal...

#6 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-11-27 09:56 AM | Reply

Clearly these two Deep State operatives were opposed to the president's efforts to stop corruption in Ukraine!

#7 | Posted by anton at 2019-11-27 11:17 AM | Reply

It keeps getting worse when I thought Liberals couldn't get worse. I quit a job one time. During my time there, I complained about a lot of things (being young and stupid). I didn't like the CEO. I didn't like the work hours. I didn't like a lot of things. I quit because I wasn't happy but it would be easy to write a headline just like this one because it is true, I did complain so I left. The worst part is that they aren't naming names. So anyone could get up on stand and make up any story and Liberal media outlet will run with it like it's gospel.

I'm not trying to say Liberals are lying or anything, but if something can be proven as easy spin then it shouldn't be allowed in a court...much less an impeachment hearing. All the facts of the situation are already out. Make a decision. Stop finding ways to spin everything just to stroke your pride and ego.

#8 | Posted by humtake at 2019-11-27 11:51 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Good; Two more out!

#9 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-11-27 12:11 PM | Reply

Good; Two more out!

#9 | POSTED BY MSGT

Yeah!! If that can't do a proper goose-step, they need to go.

#10 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2019-11-27 01:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Good; Two more out!

#9 | Posted by MSgt

True patriots celebrate getting rid of people who wont commit crimes with them.

#11 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-11-27 02:46 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by humtake

Did you ever quit because your boss ordered you to take part in a crime?

#12 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-11-27 02:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Needs to be repeated!

1)Trump ordered the hold on Ukraine aid;
2)Officials in the White House budget office thought this was illegal;
3)Two of then resigned and one of them was cut out of the allocation process;
4)There's a paper trail that backs up all of this.

#13 | Posted by tonyroma at 2019-11-27 02:52 PM | Reply

"Two officials at the White House Office of Management and Budget recently resigned in part over concerns about the holdup on Ukraine aid"

Good for them. You never know when Trump is going to point his finger at a new scapegoat.

Trump, like Nixon, will destroy lives and careers to escape.

#14 | Posted by Twinpac at 2019-11-28 07:59 AM | Reply

Imagine how outraged you would have to be to give up a prestigious job, disrupt your health insurance, lose income and have to look for a new job having to explain why you left your last job without accusing the POTUS of treason.

My hat is off to these principled souls.

#15 | Posted by bored at 2019-11-28 09:29 PM | Reply