Sunday, December 01, 2019

The Boy Scouts of America has mortgaged one of the most spectacular properties it owns, the vast Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, to help secure a line of credit as the financially strapped organization faces a growing wave of new sex-abuse lawsuits.

Comments

I've heard over and over again how pedos flock to become Scout Masters. One guy I talked to said a Master lured two boys into his tent and raped them both. He listened to it all night long.

The Pope says only 0.5% of Catholic priests are pedos. Par for the course in society, right?

Do the math. That's 8,000 pedo priests. You would think they would do a better job of weeding them out instead of covering it up....

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-01 04:16 PM | Reply

The Boy Scouts have had a long standing rule that it took two or more adults to be alone with scouts that were under 18 years of age. if something like that happened it was at the hands of two or more sickos that got together. All three of my boys were in the scouts and I never let them go out without me.

#2 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-12-01 08:51 PM | Reply

Hey. At least no homosexual kids were allowed in the scouts!

#3 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-12-01 09:05 PM | Reply

#3 | Posted by ClownShack They dropped that requirement a decade ago. I am an Eagle Scout-1972, so is my brother-1974. Some of the best men I have known in my life sacrificed a lot of their time and money to be involved in this program. Now the best and brightest are walking away. The national leadership of the BSA is spineless. Never compromise with those who hate you. It does not pay. Now they want to bring in girls, stupidity squared. Boys do not act like boys around girls. This organization was supposed to be about the goal of creating upright moral men. Not whatever it has become. The BSA lost the moment they violated their own values.

#4 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-12-01 10:12 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

First it was a homosexual scout, then a homosexual Scoutmaster, then an atheist, then they got sued to allow girls in,(I wonder if the Girl Scouts admit boys?). Never compromise values. Being everything to everybody eventually means you mean nothing to anyone. RIP BSA.

#5 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-12-01 10:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Oh, that vast ranch is called Philmont, a gift to the scouts by Wade Phillips, the founder of Phillips 66. It covers over 300 square miles. I made my trek there in 1968.

#6 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-12-01 10:28 PM | Reply

And selling young boys in exchange for money.

Perhaps if you or your brother had been more attractive you could have participated.

#7 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-12-01 10:37 PM | Reply

Hey --------------,

Read up stupid.

"There were nearly 2,000 reported cases of abuse within the Boy Scouts of America prior to 1994,"

en.m.wikipedia.org

Like I said. You were lucky to be born so ugly.

#8 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-12-01 10:41 PM | Reply

#7 | Posted by ClownShack, Same if a cop commits a crime, he becomes a criminal. Selling young boys for money? I thought that was a pastime for Catholic Priests and mega donors to the DNC.

#9 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-12-01 10:42 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by ClownShack There were over 4 million boys involved in Scouts, and any organization with youth in numbers will attract predators. At least they came clean with what they knew, unlike the Catholic Church which still obstructs every investigation. Actually as far as my looks, I was never an incel, like yourself. Most women told me I was above average. And yes, I got propositioned by several gays, and I thought they were supposed to have good taste.

#10 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-12-01 10:54 PM | Reply

I have a "best friend" who is an Eagle Scout. I respect that aspect of him. I have gone hiking and repelling with him. He has saved my butt on more than one occasion. Respect.

It is truly unfortunate that this, ummm, stigma taints Boy Scouts.

Yes, I disagreed with BSA when they discriminated against gays, but their reaction against that did not appear to resolve the sexual predator issue. In other words, they targeted the gay scoutmasters presuming they were the predators.

The problem was that, as seems to have appeared, "gayness" does not correlate to being a sexual predator.

Unfortunately, as the DOCNJ alias points out, wrong conclusions were made.

#11 | Posted by lamplighter at 2019-12-02 12:09 AM | Reply

"...kids used to come up and reach in the pool and rub my leg down so it was straight and watch the hair come back up again. They'd look at it. So, I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I've loved kids jumping on my lap."

#12 | Posted by Greatamerican at 2019-12-02 02:23 AM | Reply

GREATAMERICAN

" I've loved kids jumping on my lap."

You might want to rephrase that.

#13 | Posted by Twinpac at 2019-12-02 04:22 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

DOCNJO

"This organization was supposed to be about the goal of creating upright moral men."

It was the female of the species who created upright and moral men in the days of the wild west.

After that the Boy Scouts should be a snap.

#14 | Posted by Twinpac at 2019-12-02 04:32 AM | Reply

#13. Sorry but can't rephrase Joe Biden's kid comment..

#15 | Posted by Greatamerican at 2019-12-02 05:16 AM | Reply

This sucks.

I went to Philmont twice during my time as a scout. Great place and great experiences.

Never was molested by a scout master, did have a fellow scout try and feel me up told him wasn't my kink and that was the end of that. That was pre-gay scouts allowed so he kept it on the low-down I liked him so I didn't narc.

When I was a linesman for a tree company being an eagle scout got me a 2 buck an hour bump in pay because he didn't have to train me on knots and knew that when I was his linesman the knot wouldn't fail. For two years neither me or my knots let him down. In jobs where being an eagle scout would have had nothing to do with the job I know of at least two jobs I got over someone else because of it. People who know eagle scouts know it's not just knot tying, and useless merit badges it's studiousness, it's being willing to commit to a project and see it through, it's problem solving when things don't go as planned. It's, as Doc was alluding to, a code of values and ethics that prioritize hard work and "sticktutitivness" You don't have to have been a scout to learn those traits but if you have been an eagle scout you learned them.

Anyway I hope the don't lose the ranch it was a defining aspect of my experience. I learned how far I could push myself and how once I hit that wall to keep going. It is also beautiful country and nothing quite beats standing at 14,000 feet that you hiked up on your own and surveying a 360 degree unobstructed view.

#16 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2019-12-02 06:23 AM | Reply

Par for the course in society, right?

#1 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT AT 2019-12-01 04:16 PM | REPLY

It's not actually par. Recently I had the misery of sitting through an anti-pedophile class. It's required to chaperone field trips at my children's school. The class is done by social workers whom do the math. We see the Boy Scouts & Catholic Church make the news because of the cover ups. Statistically, the act is very rare relative to society. In current society, the person who molests your kid statistically will be a family member or another kid.

#17 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-12-02 07:22 AM | Reply

#16 | Posted by TaoWarrior So you hiked up to Elisabeth Town and made your way up to the top of Mount Baldy? Damn it is cold up there. Unless you get out of the wind, then the sun is merciless.

#18 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-12-02 08:22 PM | Reply

We'll lend you the money...
--Girl Scouts, after their annual cookie sale

#19 | Posted by catdog at 2019-12-03 09:24 AM | Reply

Pedos go where there are kids and no group wants to admit a pedo ever got into the organization.

#20 | Posted by Tor at 2019-12-03 09:54 AM | Reply

#20 | Posted by Tor What pedos do is criminal, and criminals seldom announce their objectives."And the evil I see, wears the mask of decency..." Dylan, Slow Train Coming.

#21 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-12-03 10:28 AM | Reply

#22 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-12-03 10:34 AM | Reply

"My daughter got her Gold Award. Sad that so many make a lot out of Eagle Scouts, yet those same people don't know about the highest honor a young woman can earn as a Girl Scout...
#19 | POSTED BY CATDOG"

"#19 | Posted by catdog, Actually earning Eagle Scout is still very difficult. It takes years.
#22 | POSTED BY DOCNJO"

SMDH. After all these years, Docnjo still doesn't know what a retort is.

#23 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2019-12-03 04:19 PM | Reply

#16 | Posted by TaoWarrior

Hey, read about how to do a Western Union splice and why. One day you'll need it. It's helped me a few times.

#24 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-04 10:02 AM | Reply

Why should I learn a dozen ways to start a fire when I can just set things on fire with my mind?

#25 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-04 10:51 AM | Reply