This is a mistake. They should be pushing for the more top officials to testify and go through the Court process. I'd rather have a trial in June or July with their testimony on the record than have one in January or February without it.
#3 | POSTED BY SYCOPHANT
Damned if you do, damned if you don't...
There are multiple facets to the timing of this, but it boils down to a few things: 1) the president committed obvious crimes, admitted it both verbally and in writing multiple times and will continue to commit said crimes until someone stops him. 2) there is an election in 2020, which means that his crimes are even more odious...not holding him to account would be akin to accepting it as fair game. He already petitioned Ukraine, China and previously, Russia to interfere in our elections, so he needs to be held accountable 3) the case against him is open and shut right now, he broke the law and just saying "No I didn't" isn't exculpatory and 4) there is nothing that Bolton is going to add, and the stalling tactic of waiting for the courts will take too long. Waiting until June or July (what magical event is going to happen in June or July that results in WH staffers suddenly deciding to appear before Congress and the production of subpoenaed evidence?)...holding up the impeachment until summer rewards Drumpf greatly.
Doing it now, and fast means the case is solid, and anyone who allows the behavior to continue is complicit. Get them on the record defending it. Hopefully, the messaging goes out that this behavior, and the new rules of the presidency are all fair game for the next Democrat who takes office - there is already 70% acknowledgement that POTUS did something wrong, and close to 60% approval for impeachment. The remaining 40% is. not. going. to. change. So, do it now, get the 60% to realize there's one Party that cares about America and one Party that doesn't, and hang that albatross on every Repubican that defends treason. Might flip some Senate seats, then all bets are off.
Least popular president in the history of the US, going into an election with a wholly legitimate impeachment on his record...who knows? Maybe some Russiapublicans will become Americans again. Not holding my breath, but Russia already won this round, so again, who knows?