Friday, December 06, 2019

A Columbia University study in fruit flies has identified serotonin as a chemical that triggers the body's startle response, the automatic deer-in-the-headlights reflex that freezes the body momentarily in response to a potential threat. Today's study reveals that when a fly experiences an unexpected change to its surroundings, such as a sudden vibration, release of serotonin helps to literally -- and temporarily -- stop the fly in its tracks.

Comments

This actually startled me. People actually do that in black-outs and earthquakes? Been there seen that.

I still out-freak on stuff like this. People react in shock when they don't see me and I walk right up. How can you be that oblivious? I turn and face you. Once I even roared. It is very rare to hear a human roar. That's my startle response.

I blame years on the DR.

When I was a kid I used to practice sneaking up on cats, so probably also an issue.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-05 09:32 PM | Reply

In fact I'm the only human I've ever heard roar. Never should have strangled my psychiatrist....

#2 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-05 09:37 PM | Reply

I think I might need this serotonin stuff.

#3 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-05 09:40 PM | Reply

Have a friend that grew up in the bad part of town. When startled he throws a punch.

#4 | Posted by 6thPersona at 2019-12-05 09:49 PM | Reply

Please don't call Homeland. Their casualty rate is probably already too high.

#5 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-05 10:00 PM | Reply

#4 I heard that the purpose of nightmares is to prep your brain for trauma sits. That makes sense.

#6 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-05 10:24 PM | Reply

Early in our friendship he warned me of the dangers of sneaking up behind him.
The warning was, 'Don't do it'.

#7 | Posted by 6thPersona at 2019-12-05 10:33 PM | Reply

The fun part is I'm pretty sure I have my own file cabinet in NSA headquarters. What they are asking themselves is "why hasn't this guy been caught yet?"

#8 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-05 10:45 PM | Reply

Because cause prey can't see you, its an evolutionary adaptation we haven't "outgrown" ....

#9 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-12-05 11:10 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-06 12:37 AM | Reply

It's straight military doctrine, too.

#11 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-06 12:38 AM | Reply

Why ask why drink Bud dry.

#12 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-12-06 01:03 AM | Reply

True story. One summer day I was walking on the Appalachian Trail with my son. The trail was rocky. So we have to look down to watch where we step. All of a sudden, I heard this noise that made me stop and put my arm in front of my son to make him stop. When I looked ahead we were approaching close to a rattlesnake who was sunning itself. I think that experience helps explain why we freeze when startled. Sudden noise implies danger.

#13 | Posted by Ray at 2019-12-06 03:08 PM | Reply

13 yeah. They try to warn you. Twice I've had the rattlesnake experience. Once i was walking the rails at evening and it struck at me and I think deliberately missed as a warning - they know they are venomous. Then it rattled. I must have scared the hell out of it. Nice serpent.

The second time I overturned a sheet of plywood and it was right under there. It rattled and I fired. Normally I go straight head shot but this time I was so startled I blew it in half, center mass. I regret that I could have back-pedaled.

#14 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-06 03:49 PM | Reply

And that's why the CIA doesn't want to waste any more agents on me.

#15 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-06 03:57 PM | Reply

pretty common in both texas and colorado... you find them sunning themselves on trails.

what i do is take off my t shirt and put it on a stick. wave it in front of them and when they strike, swiftly lift up the t shirt so they are hanging by their fangs. they can't get off the t shirt when they are hanging like that... they are pretty help less.

i just toss the t shirt down the trail and when i head back i pick it up. usually the snake is too scared to hang around... but not always. many times i came back from hiking and left a few t shirts behind.

as for freezing.... was told because many larger felines can only see movement. if you stay still you fade into the background and they can't see you. they know you are there because they can smell you, but they are looking for any flicker so they'll know exactly where you are. those that tried to run away were eaten.

#16 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-12-06 04:23 PM | Reply

www.youtube.com

this vid is a perfect example. note how still the hunters are... the bobcat can't see them. he can smell them but can't see him. he see's the vid cam when it's moving...

also he knows something is there so he takes a few steps and then turns back suddenly to see if there is any movement. i have seen many animals do this.

#17 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-12-06 04:32 PM | Reply

HECS (Human Energy Concealment System). The HECS hunting suit applies the "Faraday cage principle", whose concept is to control the electromagnetic field. Thus, the HECS hunting suit decides the shape to block the electrical energy that is created by our body.

Most animals, including humans, can sense the electromagnetic signals given off by our bodies so they can sense you even if they can't smell you or see you.

wearing a HECS suit under your camo jacket renders you invisible to most animals.

they were developed for Seals and Special Forces.

even cooler, stun guns and tasers do not work when you wearing one.

#18 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-12-06 04:56 PM | Reply

I asked a house cat why she froze when startled and she said that in order to determine fight or flight, a brief assessment phase of pause is necessary before pouring on the gas.

#19 | Posted by LesWit at 2019-12-06 05:26 PM | Reply

www.youtube.com

#20 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-12-06 05:41 PM | Reply

That's interesting. It does seem like I can pick up emotions in people during social interaction.

#21 | Posted by Ray at 2019-12-06 05:55 PM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT AT 2019-12-06 03:49 PM | FLAG: Where I grew up in Pennsylvania, down at our country place it was copperheads and they give no 'noise' warning.

#22 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-12-06 07:00 PM | Reply

I like the rush of being startled. being unnerved is even better. like when you tremble for 30 minutes after a near death experience.

I've been on a few rides that triggered that intense fright.

#23 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-12-07 01:05 AM | Reply

"9, Man is an ambush hunter. If you get ambushed your only hope is to fight back, Tsun Tsu said that. "When on Death Ground, fight.".
#10 | Posted by HeliumRat"

Tell the PC liberal rats that, because now if you fight back, you get sued, fired or jailed.

#24 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-12-07 12:10 PM | Reply

#24 Not my issue. I'm not in there with them. They are in here with me.

P.S. You wouldn't believe what happened to me on the 1st. I walked up to a guy in the parking lot ofa country/western bar and asked for a light. He just swung around slugged me. So that's what asphalt tastes like I was thinking. But he didn't expect me to get back up. I'm ex mil. He was big but that was one hell of a drop down drag out fight. I'm totally covered with bruises. Haven't been in a fisticuffs for thirty years it was a total shock.

Still have all my teeth though. Everything else not so good.

#25 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-07 01:39 PM | Reply

#18 | Posted by Pegasus

Hey that may be real. It would explain a lot.

I'm a hundred thousand Ohms when I hold the probes in my hands. Everybody I've ever tested is a million. Also I can raise or lower mine, from about two hundred thousand down to twenty thousand by thinking about it. Biofeedback.

Also I'm a "fish anti-magnet". This thing could be real.

#26 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-07 03:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Heliumrat sucks at politics, but pwns at science. Thank you for keeping reality more real than the present moment.

#27 | Posted by hamburglar at 2019-12-07 07:18 PM | Reply

It does seem like I can pick up emotions in people during social interaction.

#21 | Posted by Ray

#28 | Posted by jpw at 2019-12-08 01:32 AM | Reply

"You're not special in this. There's numerous cues in body language, voice tone, quality and pitch, facial expressions ect that do this.
#28 | POSTED BY JPW"

You need to read Gladwell's new book "Talking to Strangers".

#29 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-12-08 03:05 PM | Reply

"You're not special in this."

No, no, no...Ray is VERY special...as in special bus.

He knows vaccines only cause hurt, cancer should be treated with sunshine and orange juice, and losing money over 8 years is a GOOD thing, because all those assets that dropped like a rock are so much cheaper now!

#30 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-12-08 03:17 PM | Reply

#30 Don't scare him away.

#31 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-08 03:53 PM | Reply

A good article on recognizing calls, this one about screams: www.sciencedaily.com

#32 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-08 04:55 PM | Reply