Friday, December 06, 2019

Muhammad has long been one of the world's most popular names, but in 2019 -- after years of rising on the charts -- it finally broke through into the domestic top ten (#10) for the first time. On the girl names list, Aaliyah, another name of Arabic origin, also landed at number 10.

Comments

Below are the top 10 names for boys and girls:

Girls: (1) Sophia; (2) Olivia; (3) Emma; (4) Ava; (5) Aria; (6) Isabella; (7) Amelia; (8) Mia; (9) Riley; (10) Aaliyah

Boys: (1) Liam; (2) Jackson; (3) Noah; (4) Aiden; (5) Grayson; (6) Caden; (7) Lucas; (8) Elijah; (9) Oliver; (10) Muhammad

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-06 07:35 AM | Reply

BabyCenter said that while Social Security data shows Muhammad climbed from 620 in 2000 to 345 in 2018, its rank would be higher if the government agency also combined its numerous spellings.

#2 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-06 09:43 AM | Reply

It's there because Muslims aren't very creqtive when it comes to names.

Also not helping are ignorant people who think that Muhammad is a Swahili name set their ancestors would have used when their ancestors when their ancestors didn't even speak Swahili.

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2019-12-06 10:31 AM | Reply

However, many (perhaps a majority) of the slaves imported from Africa were, in fact, muslims before they were stripped of their religion and languages by the slavers. Muhammad would have been a revered name to them regardless of language.

#4 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2019-12-06 10:38 AM | Reply

Given that women are waiting longer to have children, I thought Corky would be more popular.

#5 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-12-06 10:52 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Sorry but nobody took a religious survey of all those people enslaved by Africans and sold to white people. The limited data we do have shows they were primarily practitioners of shamanism.

#6 | Posted by Tor at 2019-12-06 11:11 AM | Reply

3-2-1 Rightwing brains(?)
about to explode...

#7 | Posted by earthmuse at 2019-12-06 11:14 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Just as I predicted

Imaginary OBAMA is Hard at Work making the USA a Muslim nation

-- sincerely
"Not party to Conspiracy Theories" jeffyjtoecentreboazberly

#8 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-12-06 11:31 AM | Reply

Muhammad Makes it to Top Ten Boy's Names in USA
Posted by J_Tremain

SO?

This is only a story to those racists and xenophobes who think there's a problem with that.

You posting this thread reveals that you're one of them.

#9 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-12-06 11:35 AM | Reply

Don't tell Comrade Boazo, his tiny racist redneck brain might have a tiny explosion.

#10 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-12-06 11:46 AM | Reply

#9 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-12-06 11:35 AM | Reply | Flag: Has a problem with this news and is not taking it well. The pain is obvious.

I posted this to see who crawls out of the racist woodwork. And it IS news after all.

Frankly I am surprised you were one bigot (the other is Canadian/Isreali Jew TOR/SPORK/6thPERSONA)... and I am a bit disappointed. I don't recall you being bigoted before... but hey.. better late than never, what?

#11 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-06 12:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

his tiny racist redneck brain might have a tiny explosion.

Will have to find new pants...

#12 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-06 12:24 PM | Reply

Implications of this news?

Muslims will have more and more clout in American politics.

Beginning of the end of the "Jewish lobby".

And the beginning of the end of America's constant and useless wars overseas.

The name Mohamed is not specific to WAHABI or HANFI or SHIA or etc.... all 83 different flavors of Islam accept it. Nor is it Arab or Turkish (who spell it Mehmet sometimes) or Pak or Indonesian... all nations find it acceptable.

And the racists see a hint of an American Caliphate... BOO!!!

LOL

Chill. Drink some lemonade.

Also, "Mohamed" often used when you have like 3 names like some southern hick... Billy Joe Bubba.... Mohamed Aslam Tariq (no, that's not my name). The guy would just be called "Aslam" because the "Mohamed" in front of "Aslam" is so common.

#13 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-06 12:33 PM | Reply

BTW, have to say, that's one pretty baby in the tweet RCADE embedded.

She will find a rich husband one day, no doubt.

#14 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-06 12:36 PM | Reply

Where did Barak fall on the list?

#15 | Posted by catdog at 2019-12-06 01:15 PM | Reply

There are no black names in the top ten.

#16 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-06 01:49 PM | Reply

Oh... ok.. there is Jackson, I guess.

#17 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-06 01:51 PM | Reply

Any thread posted by our pretend ---- friend will have more posts by him than everyone else combined. Fact.

#18 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2019-12-06 01:59 PM | Reply

nNNnNnnnNnNNNnnNnNNoOOoOoOoooOOOoOOo!!1!

#19 | Posted by hamburglar at 2019-12-06 02:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I was lucky enough to speak to a nice Muslim doctor from India earlier this year.

He confirmed my suspicions and said matter-of-factly that most of the people naming their kids Muhammad aren't Muslims they are idiots.

He fears it will become a synonym for Street criminals.

#20 | Posted by Tor at 2019-12-06 02:26 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

pretend ----

What???

will have more posts by him than everyone else

My thread, my rules.

Choke on it. LOL

#21 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-06 02:30 PM | Reply

Naming a boy Mohammed is a good way to make sure he never gets laid.

#22 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-12-06 03:31 PM | Reply

"Naming a boy Mohammed is a good way to make sure he never gets laid."

youtu.be

#23 | Posted by Tor at 2019-12-06 03:34 PM | Reply

Unless you're going to go to Syria and buy a Yazidi slave girl anyway.

I think lots of Mohammeds had their first with slave girls. Maybe even the first Mohammed.

#24 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-12-06 03:40 PM | Reply

"I think lots of Mohammeds had their first with slave girls."

Ben Franklin liked his slave girl too.

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-06 03:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Snoof I seriously doubt what you're saying about Ben Franklin.

He genuinely liked women in every sense of the word and no he did own a pair of slaves he also freed them going on to become an abolitionist.

#26 | Posted by Tor at 2019-12-06 03:49 PM | Reply

"Ben Franklin liked his slave girl too."

He did?

Ohhh. I don't know this story. Please share!

#27 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-12-06 03:50 PM | Reply

"Feel free to provide me with the link showing where you got that idea about Franklin."

You need to check yourself for being un-woke.

#28 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-12-06 03:51 PM | Reply

Sally Hemings was Franklin's concubine.

You're not American, are you?

#29 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-06 03:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"He genuinely liked women in every sense of the word"

And you would surely feel the same way towards your concubine, were you to have one.

#30 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-06 03:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Sally Hemmings was cheating on Thomas Jefferson!!!!!!!!

Who knew????

#31 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-12-06 04:02 PM | Reply

Girl got around.

#32 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-12-06 04:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Insert. foot. in. mouth.

#33 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-12-06 04:03 PM | Reply

Girl got around.

The term is "passed around."

#34 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-06 04:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You've got to fill me in buddy...this is some historic TMZ type s#!+

#35 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-12-06 04:04 PM | Reply

SNOOFY

"Sally Hemings was Franklin's concubine"

I think everybody is confused. It was Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemmings.

#36 | Posted by Twinpac at 2019-12-06 04:04 PM | Reply

I just want to know about the Hemmings-Franklin thing!!!

Did TJ know?

#37 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-12-06 04:05 PM | Reply

You're right though.
Jefferson, not Franklin.
White people all look the same to me!

#38 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-06 04:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I think everybody is confused."

Nope.

Just Snoofy.

The rest of us Americans know that Hemmings was with TJ.

#39 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-12-06 04:06 PM | Reply

"White people all look the same to me!"

You're not an American. No reason you should know this stuff.

#40 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-12-06 04:07 PM | Reply

My neighbor Sven probably doesn't know who Sally Hemmings was. Why should he? He's German.

#41 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-12-06 04:08 PM | Reply

MAD

"Nope.
Just Snoofy."

Not any more.

No need to beat a dead horse.

#42 | Posted by Twinpac at 2019-12-06 04:10 PM | Reply

"With" is a disingenuous way to relate property to its owner.

Do you have your snowmobile with you? Not right now.
Do you own a snowmobile? Yes.

#43 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-06 04:11 PM | Reply

"No need to beat a dead horse."

Mmmm. I don't know. 26 minutes ago he posed this question: "You're not American, are you?"

???

#44 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-12-06 04:23 PM | Reply

MAD

"26 minutes ago he posed this question: "You're not American, are you?"

Why are you so quick to jump. He made an obvious mistake.

Lord knows none of us are guilt free.

The man recognized his error. Let it go and get back to the thread.

Speaking of which: Several years ago I was friends with a family from Palestine. They had 5 children, the first 4 being girls and the last a boy they named Mohammed. The wife told me that every Muslim family had to have at least one boy named Mohammed.

I've often wondered if that was true.

#45 | Posted by Twinpac at 2019-12-06 04:51 PM | Reply

"Why are you so quick to jump. He made an obvious mistake."

Really?

Did you not know that Sally Hemmings was owned by TJ?

And if you're going to talk $#!+, know your facts first. Or expect ridicule.

#46 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-12-06 04:57 PM | Reply

It's a popular name, much like Jesus among Spanish-speaking Christians, but probably more popular than Jesus, since English-speaking Christians don't often name their sons Jesus.

#47 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-06 04:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Did you not know that Sally Hemmings was owned by TJ?"

Maybe you should check with Sven.

#48 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-06 04:59 PM | Reply

MAD

"Did you not know that Sally Hemmings was owned by TJ?"

Actually I did. In fact I included the story in a paper I wrote for a Journalism class in American History many years ago. But that's not to say everybody has my instant recall.

#49 | Posted by Twinpac at 2019-12-06 05:07 PM | Reply

Muhammad Makes it to Top Ten Boy's Names in USA

I did not know that Muhammad was that popular among Hispanics.

#50 | Posted by 6thPersona at 2019-12-06 07:19 PM | Reply

"You need to check yourself for being un-woke"

"Insert. foot. in. mouth."

I have a feeling the second post is in reference to the first. Can you confirm this mad man?

PS I'm fairly sure the only two slaves Franklin ever owned were dudes.

#51 | Posted by Tor at 2019-12-06 07:22 PM | Reply

slaves Franklin ever owned were dudes

Ben was homosexer?

No wonder he was flying kites in the rain.

#52 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-06 08:58 PM | Reply

White people all look the same to me!

#38 | Posted by snoofy

They often do, don't they?

I at least find it endlessly fascinating.

#53 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-06 09:03 PM | Reply

You're not an American.

He can always be Texan.

Unlike the rest Amreeka, Texas has a big heart!

#54 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-06 09:08 PM | Reply

Maybe you should check with Sven.

Who was the chick Ted Kennedy drowned?

Wasn't the same chick... or was it?

#55 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-06 09:10 PM | Reply

Muhammad Makes it to Top Ten Boy's Names in USA
I did not know that Muhammad was that popular among Hispanics.

#50 | POSTED BY 6THPERSONA AT 2019-12-06 07:19 PM

it's not. Jesus is still out performing Muhammad in Latin America.

#56 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-12-06 11:14 PM | Reply

Jesus ... Latin America.

You mean "Haysoos".

#57 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-06 11:46 PM | Reply

"No wonder he was flying kites in the rain."

Is that some sort of gay code? I'm completely unfamiliar with such things.

#58 | Posted by Tor at 2019-12-07 12:07 AM | Reply

I'm completely unfamiliar with such things.

Is what you claim.

#59 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-07 01:06 AM | Reply

You needed to come out and tell everyone "I'm completely unfamiliar with such things", instead of staying silent. LOL

"Better to stay silent and be thought a fool than opening your mouth and proving it"... Abe Lincoln. (I think)

#60 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-07 01:09 AM | Reply

Ever seen a white kid named Jesus? I always wanted to see that.

#61 | Posted by byrdman at 2019-12-07 02:00 AM | Reply

Many if not most Hispanics are, in the American racial categorization, "White, non-Hispanic" so technically, you've probably seen one.

#62 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-07 02:16 AM | Reply

Ever seen a white kid named Jesus?

He was killed last season in "Walking Dead".

#63 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-07 02:22 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Interesting fact the name counting group counts names that are spelled or pronounced similarly as one name.

Per their logic Aaron and Erin are the same name.

#64 | Posted by Tor at 2019-12-07 02:55 AM | Reply

No, it's the opposite.

They are counting exact spellings only.

#2 | Posted by J_Tremain

As they are getting their data from the Govt ....

Gawd... you REALLY ARE stupid, aren't you? LOL

#65 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-07 03:14 AM | Reply

www.cnn.com

Lol

#66 | Posted by Tor at 2019-12-07 04:43 AM | Reply

The agency does not include varied spellings in that ranking.

LOL

Like I said, stupid as ever.

#67 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-07 06:52 AM | Reply

Let's repeat that.....

The agency does not include varied spellings in that ranking.

Yep.

Dumb, Dumber, Dumbest, all in one single package, who thinks he is clever using the TOR Browser to make sock puppets. LOL

I am not surprised at all.

#68 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-07 06:54 AM | Reply

It's also a popular terrorist name.

#69 | Posted by patron at 2019-12-07 08:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2