Friday, December 06, 2019

"The giant online retailer said it has signed a new lease for 335,000 square feet on the city's west side in the new Hudson Yards neighborhood, where it will have more than 1,500 employees," The Wall Street Journal reported. "Amazon is taking the space without any of the special tax credits and other inducements the company had been offered to build a new headquarters in the Queens neighborhood of Long Island City, the company said."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"Won't you look at that: Amazon is coming to NYC anyway " *without* requiring the public to finance shady deals, helipad handouts for Jeff Bezos, and corporate giveaways," she tweeted.

Comments

1,500 jobs vs 25,000. Yea, this is AOC's version of winning.

#1 | Posted by sawdust at 2019-12-06 06:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#1 | POSTED BY SAWDUST

25,000 over 15 years. Likely overblown to sweeten the pot, but the plan is still the same. 1,500 now, more later.

#2 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2019-12-06 07:10 PM | Reply

Yea, go ask the people in Wisconsin about all of those Foxconn jobs that were promised by Donald Trump and Scott Walker, and this after the state gave them over $4 billion in tax breaks and money for building-out the needed infrastructure. Two years ago they promised that they would be creating 13,000 jobs, most of which would be in manufacturing. So far they've only got about 500 people working in a combination business office, R&D center. Foxconn got the money, but Wisconsin is still waiting for the promised high-tech, high-paying jobs.

So if New York can get 1,500 jobs without having to first pick the pockets of taxpayers, that looks like a win to me.

OCU

#3 | Posted by OCUser at 2019-12-06 07:52 PM | Reply

Government programs = bad, socialism. Money
To giant PRIVATE business= good!! (But not socialism)

#4 | Posted by zelkova at 2019-12-06 09:39 PM | Reply

I'm a native Wisconsinite, living out of state. My WI retired Army Major father thought I had been watching conspiracy BS when I told him about the China Foxconn suicide nets, 3 years ago after I overheard him telling my racist Ohio uncle about the Foxconn plant. I was as incredulous as was my father, a frequenter of the Drudge Report. To be fair, I used to believe in 9/11 conspiracy BS, before I shook off the blinders, which wasn't too hard. Still, I cheer for Army over Chairforce or the Squids or the other branches...

#5 | Posted by hamburglar at 2019-12-07 04:42 PM | Reply

In all likelihood, deals were made, but kept out of public view.

#6 | Posted by Ray at 2019-12-07 09:06 PM | Reply

"Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez took a victory lap after her argument that the subsidies were unnecessary was vindicated."

www.nytimes.com

"Amazon's Tax Breaks and Incentives Were Big. Hudson Yards' Are Bigger."

#7 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-12-08 10:27 AM | Reply