Sunday, December 08, 2019

The total environmental impact of our outfit choices are a growing concern because, buoyed by the rise of so-called fast fashion, we're consuming and discarding more clothes than ever before. In 2015, the last year for which the Environmental Protection Agency has data, the United States generated 11.9 million tons -- or about 75 pounds per person -- of textile waste, most of which ended up in landfills. That's more than a 750 percent increase since 1960. ... A separate study found that fast fashions are constructed so that they typically last no more than 10 wearings.

Comments

... they typically last no more than 10 wearings...

It takes my dungarees and flannel shirts at least that many wearings to even start to be "broken in."

But to the point of the topic, I'm sure the clothing industry likes the "wear a couple three times and buy new" aspect of the fast fashion fads.

At what point do those promoting these types of fads become responsible for the results of the fads?

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-12-08 11:19 AM | Reply

Jane Fonda has made the ultimate sacrifice and has promised to not buy any more new clothes to fight global warming. Leading by example.

#2 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-12-08 11:27 AM | Reply

@#2 ... Jane Fonda has made the ultimate sacrifice and has promised to not buy any more new clothes to fight global warming. ...

What about FL Trump, or does she still not care?

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-12-08 11:35 AM | Reply

#1 lol dungarees. Man how old are you?

But I agree.

I think the only clothes I regularly discard are socks and underwear that are ready to be tossed. Excessively worn jeans and t shirts get put into the house work category and only get tossed when they have significant holes and or stains/spots.

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2019-12-08 11:35 AM | Reply

@#4 ... Man how old are you? ...

Old enough to distinctly remember when Chubby Checker's The Twist was a new song on the radio....

#5 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-12-08 11:58 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

@#4

dungarees.com

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-12-08 12:00 PM | Reply

The clothing industry discards tons of clothes into landfills rather than donating it to be used, so this number is probably the estimate of their waste divided by the number of people in America. I don't think I own 75 pounds worth of clothes, let alone am able to cycle through that amount of clothes annually..

#7 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-12-08 12:41 PM | Reply

I take the bulk of my clothing when I travel, and that typically checks out to be 35-40 lbs.

#8 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-12-08 12:42 PM | Reply

Now try imagining having children, that grow out of their clothes, GoNoles.

You're welcome.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-08 12:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Thats nothing ... while you all are hand wringing over throwing out lbs of clothes ...

This is India ...
www.youtube.com

You are welcome...

#10 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-12-08 01:09 PM | Reply

Every other year we go through out closets and if cannot remember wearing something for at least a year we bag those items and donate to The Salvation Army so those less fortunate may benefit.

#11 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-12-08 01:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"The clothing industry discards tons of clothes into landfills rather than donating it to be used, so this number is probably the estimate of their waste divided by the number of people in America."

Yeah, it sounds like they're counting corporations as people in order to get to this fake statistic. Huge backfire.

#12 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-12-08 01:16 PM | Reply

Funny, an article that's admonishing Americans for the excessive purchasing of clothes that we really don't need.

As I'm posting this , there's a GQ ad on new shirts that's distracting me. I'm trying hard not to click.

Is this a schizophrenic country or what?!

#13 | Posted by shane at 2019-12-08 01:58 PM | Reply

Yeah, because some "men" punch their wives, it's no biggy if I slap mine around a little.

#14 | Posted by jpw at 2019-12-08 02:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I always thought that buying cloths to conform to some sort of status or style weak. Luckily I live in Texas, and we don't know or care what is in style. We like western boots, wide brimmed hats, cotton shirts, jeans, complemented with a thick belt with a big buckle. It gets hot here. Dress for the environment, Formal attire consists of one pin stripe blue suit I had made in Korea.

#15 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-12-08 05:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So you don't care what's in style and yet wear what's in style?

#16 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-12-08 05:38 PM | Reply

I've still got a shirt that I sporadically wear that I purchased in the 90s. Do these people throw away clothes and moment they noticed any flaw with them?

#17 | Posted by Tor at 2019-12-08 05:49 PM | Reply

75 pounds amounts to 2 of the orange lard barge's girdles.

#18 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2019-12-08 06:08 PM | Reply

"We like western boots, wide brimmed hats, cotton shirts, jeans, complemented with a thick belt with a big buckle."

I had not realized you are Mexican.

Viva La Raza!

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-08 06:16 PM | Reply

Amazing. I can't imagine it. I don't buy 75 pounds of clothes a year and I am a bigger guy. I go through a couple pair of jeans a year just from them wearing out but they are worn at least 50 times on average and many go twice that long. I have a rotation I wear to work and when they are done being good enough for work - I work around the house in them. And some of my workout clothes are 15 years old... lol BUT I don't buy cheap crap (and I try to buy the expensive variety either).

#20 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-12-08 09:40 PM | Reply

-Amazing. I can't imagine it. I don't buy 75 pounds of clothes a year

Hell, I don't even own 75 pounds of clothes. I expect the number is jacked up by urban hipsters and celebrities.

#21 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-12-08 09:44 PM | Reply

#16 | Posted by REDIAL I can wear the same clothes I wore in 1990, and do. Style has little to do with it.

#22 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-12-09 03:33 AM | Reply

"I can wear the same clothes I wore in 1990, and do. Style has little to do with it." - #22 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-12-09 03:33 AM

The most believable thing you've ever posted here.

#23 | Posted by Hans at 2019-12-09 05:39 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

DOCNO

"I can wear the same clothes I wore in 1990, and do."

It's a fine thing you do.

Some clothes don't go out of style, unless you're some teeny-bopper with peer pressure issues.

I don't apply the same standards to everything of course but my T's go from good, to meh, good enough, to questionable, to time to clean the gutters, to disgraceful, to car rags.

#24 | Posted by Twinpac at 2019-12-09 06:41 AM | Reply

I will never discard my thong speedos.

#25 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-12-09 09:44 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

I guess part of the high weight is caused by the clothes of right wingers since they are so wide and have a lot of sequins.

#26 | Posted by grumpy_too at 2019-12-09 09:51 AM | Reply

#11 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-12-08 01:13 PM

A clever method that I read about from someone: Take all of the clothes in your closet and turn the hanger around. When you use the clothes, hang them back in the closet the normal way. If you have clothes left the 'wrong way' after 6 months/a year/whatever...donate them.

#27 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-12-09 10:20 AM | Reply

Arguing about getting rid of clothes is missing the point. The article is about clothing going into landfills. Even if you are disposing of 75lbs of clothing per year, you should be donating it so somebody else can wear it.

#28 | Posted by JOE at 2019-12-09 10:22 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#27 and #28 when we get rid of clothes we usually donate them to the Salvation Army. Once t-shirts get to the point where they start to get holes we put them in a sack and use them to wipe glass cleaner. For clothes that reach that point that can't be used as rags our community has a recycling program where you put them in specialized green bags and put them at the curb. The recycling team leaves more of these bags when they pick up the green bag(s).

#29 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-12-09 10:54 AM | Reply

#29 Good call. I'd also remind anyone that many cities have organizations that take gently used businesswear and give it to needy people for use in job interviews. I've given many suits this way.

#30 | Posted by JOE at 2019-12-09 11:26 AM | Reply

#27 | POSTED BY AVIGDORE AT 2019-12-09 10:20 AM | FLAG: Had not heard of that, but I like the idea.

#31 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-12-09 11:42 AM | Reply

Obviously, to save the environment, the government should limit the amount of clothes it's subjects can own and enforce proper recycling with imprisonment and re-education camps.

#32 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-12-09 03:14 PM | Reply

Does anybody else have these clothes recycling drop off containers in their area? I've seen them in strip malls in my town.

#33 | Posted by Pirate at 2019-12-09 05:05 PM | Reply

Donating to the Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc doesn't mean they get used and don't end up in a landfill. Those places used to and still may get rid of most of the donations. They often go to people who ship them to places like Africa where they are sold or the landfill. Now in Africa there is a movement against this dumping of clothes even there.

#34 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-12-09 09:02 PM | Reply

#33 | Posted by Pirate

Yes. Strip malls, gas stations, etc. Been around for years. Not sure the legitimacy of them...

#35 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-12-09 09:04 PM | Reply

I usually wear mine till they're not looking presentable anymore then donate them to the local charities. Wifey does too. we don't change as styles change unless its one outfit at a time and that's usually her. Im no fashion statement for sure. I like cotton and plain. leather shoes that last.

#36 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-12-09 09:16 PM | Reply

Most clothes I keep for awhile. Regular every day socks, I wear once and throw out. It's my vice. I hate sock laundry.

#37 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-12-09 10:56 PM | Reply

Now in Africa there is a movement against this dumping of clothes even there.

#34 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE AT 2019-12-09 09:02 PM | FLAG:

That's everywhere. It screws up the local economy.

#38 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-12-09 10:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I hate sock laundry.

#37 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Sock laundry is the worst. It wasn't as bad when my kids were younger, but now at ages 15 and 19, when their feet are about the same size as mine, sorting through and trying to match up a ------- of mishmash of similarly-sized socks is fricking horrible.

#39 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-12-09 11:58 PM | Reply

...buying cloths to conform to some sort of status or style weak. Luckily I live in Texas...
#15 | POSTED BY DOCNJO

Self-retorting retort of the day.
Almost everything they wear in Texas is because of style and status. How far would you go there if you didn't wear the uniform?

#40 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2019-12-10 05:19 AM | Reply