Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Controversial New York City restaurant Lucky Lee's closed its doors Friday. The establishment, which was opened in April by nutritionist Arielle Haspel, a white woman, had been marred by accusations of racism and cultural appropriation from the Asian American community. It initially described its cuisine as "clean Chinese food," comparing its meals to the "icky" dishes at traditional Chinese American joints.

Comments

I should have titled this thread "Liberal snob has to shut down her racist establishment". Describing American-Chinese dishes, which are usually served by real Chinese Americans as "icky", highlights how snobbish and elitist the liberal food nazi's are.

#1 | Posted by boaz at 2019-12-10 08:08 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Really???

Beeyach.... it's good you were shut down.

Arielle Haspel

Haspel.... Is that a Jewish name?

Wait for the "Chinese are all anti-Semitic" crybaby nonsense.... unless being labeled anti-Asian is worse than being called anti-Semite?

Is it?

#2 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-10 08:08 AM | Reply

I don't want to catch any Asians serving hamburgers. What a racist pile of crap. I have personally entered Chinese restaurants that were disgusting and I only order from one specific Chinese restaurant because they actually cook the food right in front of you. We have a TV investigator who regularly busts restaurants with vermin, Chinese restaurants are pretty often exposed.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2019-12-10 08:26 AM | Reply

A little reality might seep in. The Italian food we eat in this country is not the cuisine they eat in Italy. The Chinese food is not what they eat in China. Chow main is an American dish, as is most of the menu in most Chinese restaurants. Mexican food in this country isn't Mexican, it is mostly from Texas. You can get authentic ethnic food, notably Korean, Thai, and Kosher- but given time that will change also.

#4 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-12-10 08:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4 | Posted by docnjo

What he said....

I myself know that 90% of what you think is Pakistani food (or even Indian food) in America... well it tastes like regurgitated cardboard to me.

Who taught America to cook foreign foods .... Allah will never forgive them.

If it weren't for my future mother-in-law and her cooking, I would be dead guy.

#5 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-10 08:35 AM | Reply

I did several tours of Korea. I fell in love with the food, well, the Americanized version of it. Authentic Korean restaurants dont do to well unless they serve Americanized versions of their menu's, and that's due to the food being weird and expensive.

Within our units in Korea, we had these Korean soldiers called KATUSA's (Korean Augmentees to the United States Army). They had their own eating establishments, usually on post called the KATUSA snack bar. The food was DELICIOUS! Beef Cheese Rameun (basically the noodles you ate in college, with beef strips and a slice of cheese), Yakimandu, (and I mean hard Fried dumplings, not steamed). It was the same all over the country. At FT. Bragg, there is a Korean establishment called The Yummy. I have been going to this place for the last 25 years and I know the owners very well.

Best Korean food I have ever had.

#6 | Posted by boaz at 2019-12-10 08:43 AM | Reply

"Authentic Korean restaurants dont do to well unless they serve Americanized versions of their menu's, and that's due to the food being weird and expensive."

Koreatown, NYC. Crazy authentic. But don't go without a Korean friend to order for you because what you get won't be the same otherwise. I suppose you could get a similar experience if you speak Korean, but I personally only know a few words. It's best to know your limitations.

#7 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-12-10 08:59 AM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2019-12-10 08:26 AM

The one I did work at for several months in Salem made magical food with seriously well-trained staff. I absolutely trust them.

#8 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-12-10 01:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

DANNI will only appreciate a restaurant that serves roadkill.

#9 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-10 01:43 PM | Reply

The whole notion of cultural appropriation when it comes to food is ridiculous.

Walk into the majority of restaurant in Los Angeles: Chinese, Thai, Italian, American, Iranian, Mexican, etc... and the cooks are Mexicans.

Also. If the food is good. Who cares who cooks it?

Seems like the only people who care are conservatives, like Boaz.

#10 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-12-10 01:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Speaking VERY frankly - I am kind of with her take on typical Chinese restaurants. Frankly it has nothing to do with "appropriation" which is such a lame thing anyhow. I haven't been in a "clean" Chinese Restaurant owned by Chinese in decades. Around here there were 3 "fine dining" Chinese Restaurants in the 70s that slowly went down hill through the 80s. I know at least one was Chinese mob owned and I believe still is. All the small places have been pretty filthy for decades as well. We are talking 30 years of filthy restaurants. Now the Chinese have been opening these buffets that quickly go from good food and clean to disgusting over about 6 months.

When I lived in Denver - no different. Toronto? Detroit? Again no different... Pretty much where ever I have been. PF Changs is about the only "clean" "Chinese" place you can find and that's because it's a big chain.

Frankly it pains me because I like American Chinese food and some of the true Chinese food you can sometimes get. I generally like the Chinese people I meet working in the places too. My personal hunch is most are lacking papers in these new restaurants and I don't know if they are their "freely" in complete honesty. I lived a block away from one years ago and learned what to watch for. If you happen to be around at the right time, you can see they fill up big vans with all the staff and bus them in early in the morning and out after close. A friend got to know one a little and she was pretty scared of the managers. She said they aren't allowed to talk to the customers but she was sneaky about it. Several have been busted doing some pretty illegal things over the years and had their operations were exposed. Locally a couple I remember off hand - they were prepping all the food in a house next door in pretty nasty conditions and were caught when it caught on fire. Mysteriously all the workers disappeared during the investigation. Even further back, one of them had livestock hidden in the woods out back and were butchering them as needed - in the woods. The one I remember as a true stereotype was in San Diego. A place my friend had tried and never went back saying meat tasted funky - turns out they were serving cat and dog...

#11 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-12-10 02:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'm disappointed with myself for failing to try dog when I went to China but the sign had a sad basset hound although what they were cooking was probably yellow dog since it is supposed to taste the best.

In Alabama the restaurant inspection system is pretty close to fully legit and that counts Chinese places also.

#12 | Posted by grumpy_too at 2019-12-11 12:40 AM | Reply

I'm disappointed with myself for failing to try dog

Are you serious?

#13 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-12-11 12:51 AM | Reply

McDonald's around here are run by filipinos....is that ok?

I guess this follows the principle of kick up, not down.

#14 | Posted by Ottodog at 2019-12-11 01:29 PM | Reply

"Are you serious?"

Why wouldn't he be? There are lots of things you can try abroad which aren't accessible at home because of the stigma associated with them, whether it's dog or horse meat or pig brains or snails or grasshoppers.

#15 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-12-11 01:44 PM | Reply

Similar situation took place in San Diego a couple of years ago:

A Chicano Community In San Diego Was Outraged Over A White Woman's Attempt To Open A Modern Fruteria'
wearemitu.com