Tuesday, December 10, 2019

JERSEY CITY, New Jersey (WABC) -- One police officer was killed and three others were wounded, and there are multiple people dead inside a grocery store following a wild shootout and standoff in Jersey City Tuesday afternoon. Authorities say the incident started at Bay View Cemetery just after noon, with an officer wounded in the shoulder, and was possibly related to a drug deal gone bad

Comments

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of (insert city, school, church, concert venue, event here) for this horrific act of evil and to the families of those impacted by this tragedy

#1 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-12-10 05:21 PM | Reply

Six dead in NJ kosher supermarket, including a father-of-five cop, 39, after juvenile male and female shooter duo armed with long guns and 'a U-Haul full of pipe bombs' launch two-hour shootout against SWAT team, starting in a cemetery and ending inside a kosher store.

#2 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-12-10 05:22 PM | Reply

The NYP: "Sources said David Anderson, who committed the deadly Tuesday attack with a woman identified as Francine Graham, was a one-time follower of the Black Hebrew Israelite movement and made the hateful postings on his social media page."

#3 | Posted by Karabekian at 2019-12-11 01:27 PM | Reply

So much cautious social engineering going on.

#4 | Posted by fresno500 at 2019-12-11 02:55 PM | Reply

There were good people on both sides.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-11 02:56 PM | Reply

Worth it so inadequate males can fondle their toys and feel like big strong men.

#6 | Posted by JOE at 2019-12-11 03:02 PM | Reply

How long a pole do you need to touch this one, progressives? Black anti-Semite drug dealer armed with pipe bombs shoots first and then goes on a Jew-killing spree....wow. No wonder there are only 5 comments. This story is kryptonite.

#7 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-12-11 03:04 PM | Reply

#7 I don't want black anti-semites or white rednecks or anyone else to own guns that have no relation to a well-regulated militia. My position is conistent across demographics. Is yours?

#8 | Posted by JOE at 2019-12-11 03:19 PM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY JOE

Does that apply to female gun-owners as well?

#9 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-12-11 03:20 PM | Reply

#7, Well, there apparently wasn't a smirking white, Catholic schoolboy in the vicinity to take the blame, so....

#10 | Posted by Karabekian at 2019-12-11 03:28 PM | Reply

"Does that apply to female gun-owners as well?"

Is there something you'd like to get off your chest, JPW?

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-11 03:29 PM | Reply

#9 No?

#12 | Posted by JOE at 2019-12-11 03:29 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY JOE

I want gun owners to be held responsible for the actions taken with their guns. If you show up to take my lawfully owned guns there is going to be a problem...

#13 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2019-12-11 03:34 PM | Reply

If you show up to take my lawfully owned guns there is going to be a problem...

Well that's the point. I'm arguing it shouldn't be lawful in the first place.

But it's always nice to see gun owners show their true colors and admit they'll attempt to murder law enforcement just to get their way.

#14 | Posted by JOE at 2019-12-11 04:09 PM | Reply

"If you show up to take my lawfully owned guns there is going to be a problem..."

Flashbangs are typically how SWAT deals with the problem you describe, along with operating under cover of darkness, and of course vastly superior strength in numbers.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-11 04:15 PM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY JOE

I cannot in any way understand your way of thinking. When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns. Everywhere I have seen you on this blog lately it appears you want a nanny government. You want in our government what you got from your mother growing up. I dont want to be controlled like that, I want a partnership! I want to work as hard as I can to see our government succeed and it assist me in return, but also catch me if I happen to slip and fall a little.

#16 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2019-12-11 04:27 PM | Reply

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

Fine with me.

For a large swath of America, especially the poorer, browner, more urban parts, all the problems that gun lovers claim guns help solve, are themselves only problems because of the presence of guns in the first place. And frankly, I think racism is a driving force behind not caring about that.

Now, if you actually live out in the country in Alaska, Montana, etc. it's a different story. I don't think it's a problem when I encounter a fellow hiker with a .357 on his hip in the Cascades.

But that doesn't change the fact that gun violence is a public health disaster for America as a whole.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-11 04:41 PM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

That may be where my frame of mind is coming from, I live in a rural area at the edge of a small town. I currently have a large porcupine and a black bear living in the wooded area about a mile behind my home on my property. There is obviously not going to be a one-size-fits-all solution to the gun problem, but universal background checks and safe requirements would go a long way.

#18 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2019-12-11 04:49 PM | Reply

"I currently have a large porcupine and a black bear living in the wooded area about a mile behind my home on my property."

Exactly.
And when the Second Amendment was written, there might have been an Indian living there too.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-11 04:51 PM | Reply

"There is obviously not going to be a one-size-fits-all solution to the gun problem, but universal background checks and safe requirements would go a long way."

There's more guns than people in this country, so, basically, nothing is ever going to change when it comes to gun violence in America.
Perhaps if enough jihadists figure out how easy it is to get guns here, and then coordinate a massive terrorist attack, something would change.
But even then, I doubt it. The response from gun nuts would be that we need more guns to protect ourselves from the nuts with guns.

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-11 04:56 PM | Reply

Only one party wants to address things like this:

On Monday, Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo stood before reporters and cameras and issued a scathing critique of the GOP after one of his sergeants was gunned down responding to a domestic violence call Saturday. www.cnn.com

The gunman, Arturo Solis, had been convicted of domestic violence in 2015, but thanks to lax American gun laws, was able to get a gun anyway. While federal gun law currently bars spouses, ex-spouses, live-in partners and people who have children together from possessing a firearm if they have a domestic violence conviction, there is a "boyfriend loophole" that does not similarly constrain dating partners.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-11 05:07 PM | Reply

I cannot in any way understand your way of thinking.

I'm tired of seeing innocent Americans, including children, shot. I want to make it harder for those people to get shot. If you "can't understand" that, that's your problem.

When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

74% of mass shootings are commited by someone who obtained their gun legally. Of course if guns were outlawed, some of these people would seek illegal guns with which to commit their crimes. But if the difference is between walking into Cabela's and entering a criminal black market underworld to get a gun, i think at least some people would be deterred.

#22 | Posted by JOE at 2019-12-11 05:12 PM | Reply

I still believe Joe would be better off putting his efforts towards sensible gun regulations instead of arguing that nobody should have them. As in the saying 'the perfect is the enemy of the good' the extreme side fighting to take all guns away will make others like me dig in and nothing will get accomplished. Sort of why Trump voters are digging in their heels and sticking by their man.

#23 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2019-12-11 05:14 PM | Reply

Joe, if we had universal background checks, more things were reported to the background information agencies, etc it would be harder for these people with mental issues to get guns legally. I also dont want to see innocent people/children shot but we see the answers differently. I cannot get behind taking guns away from everyone in order to keep them from a few people.

#24 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2019-12-11 05:21 PM | Reply

How about if to get guns you have to demonstrate some sort of need, such as "I live out in the country where there's mountain lions?"

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-11 05:29 PM | Reply

#25 and then what happens when you move? I think it needs to be sensible regulation. My uncle lives in town but enjoys hunting, he wouldnt be able to own a gun based on his home address. There will have to be a moderate middle ground and we need a bipartisan committee to work it out for the benefit of all. Thoughts and prayers are bullsh**.

#26 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2019-12-11 05:34 PM | Reply

"Joe, if we had universal background checks, more things were reported to the background information agencies, etc."

Not sure it would really make much difference.

Can you think of a way it would have been okay for the Saudi guy who shot up NAS Pensacola to have his guns taken away?
Or the guy who shot up that concert in Vegas?
Or the guy who shot up that synagogue in Pittsburgh?
Or the guy who shot up that black church in Charlotte?

Because if not, then it's reasonable to expect these kinds of things to keep happening.

#27 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-11 05:38 PM | Reply

I'm all for universal background checks. Republicans will have none of that. If they're taking an extremist position on guns, then so am i. Because the extreme of my position will prevent murder. Theirs - the opposite.

#28 | Posted by JOE at 2019-12-11 05:45 PM | Reply

#28 Large numbers of Republican leaders and NRA members are for universal background checks, it is the NRA leadership that keeps lobbying against it and keeping them out. I am of course against large lobby groups. I think that our representatives need to actually represent us and not big money...

#29 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2019-12-11 05:52 PM | Reply

As an addition to 29, I believe there is a bill on McConnell's desk for it too... Just one of many he is sitting on.

#30 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2019-12-11 05:54 PM | Reply

Whatever. There's one political party and one lobbying organization responsible for a failure to implement even modest gun reforms. That's Republicans and the NRA.

#31 | Posted by JOE at 2019-12-11 10:26 PM | Reply