Wednesday, December 11, 2019

The weapons are notorious for their effects on civilians. But five years of reporting and hundreds of interviews have revealed they've also killed and wounded scores of Americans.

Comments

I wish I would have read the article.

The use of cluster munitions is so rare as to be insignificant. The last time I am aware of their use was early in OIF, and even then the types used were either guided or inert weapons used against very specialized target sets.

#1 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-12-11 01:05 PM | Reply

"The use of cluster munitions is so rare as to be insignificant."

Just like school shootings!

#2 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-11 01:08 PM | Reply

"These weapons end up killing our own troops."

^
They knew the risks when they signed up.
--President Donald J. Trump.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-11 01:08 PM | Reply

"The last time I am aware of their use was early in OIF"

Ah, I remember that one.
You'll never guess what happened next!

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-11 01:13 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by snoofy Pure BS. Cluster bomb-lets look nothing like the food we drooped. But the insurgents used to pay children to collect them so that they could harvest the explosives within. Where do you come up with this crap? Even the insurgents gave up trying to use them, too dangerous to handle. BTW, the guys that set up IEDs often blew themselves up.

#5 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-12-11 03:15 PM | Reply

"Ah, I remember that one. The unexploded bomblets were in similar yellow packaging as the food packets we dropped. You'll never guess what happened next!"

Interesting. I don't remember that. Maybe you could elaborate a bit more.

Not saying it couldn't have happened, but the cluster munitions we did drop would have in no way resembled something edible. Unless you like the taste of tungsten.

#6 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-12-11 03:16 PM | Reply

"but the cluster munitions we did drop would have in no way resembled something edible."

Apparently you're intent on not understanding what I said:

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-11 03:22 PM | Reply

whatever it takes to lose... over and over again.

#8 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2019-12-11 03:35 PM | Reply

#7 | Posted by snoofy Cluster bomblets look nothing like a MRE. I never saw any other type of food dropped from the air for civilians. The vast majority of food distributed was bulk stuff from trucks. My son was there day one, and for two more tours, I was there for two. I saw plenty of duds, and had to clear a few, especially in the early days. Generally we didn't touch the things, we placed a stick of C4 close and let that explosion detonate them. They are small, maybe a quarter the size of Campbell's soup can with a ribbon on one end and a black inverted cone on the other. No label, no seam, they look like what they are, a very small bomb.

#9 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-12-11 03:53 PM | Reply

My God - GOOOGLE it.

CNN

#10 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-12-11 04:55 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Unexploded bomblets resemble the packaging that contained the food aid we droopped on Iraq. As I recall, we changed the packaging of the food aid, after hungry kids kept blowing themselves up."

And I'm saying that we didn't use that type of CM in OIF. We certainly haven't used them since. Doc seems to recall that there were CBU-87/CBU-103 CMs used though...so I'll defer to him.

#11 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-12-11 09:28 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by GalaxiePete You actually believe CNN? I wasn't in Afghanistan, I have no idea what ordinance they used there. The problem with CM is that it takes a hard landing to detonate. Unfortunately if it lands in lose sand, it might not go off. They had another problem in Indochina. The drag, that ribbon on one end used to have a loop in it. the CM used to get hung up in the canopy, till it dropped much later. That 10% number is crap. The actual number was less than 2%, unless it landed in a very impact absorbing material. Think water and loose sand.

#12 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-12-11 10:56 PM | Reply

The profound damage President Trump has inflicted on our liberties

korea - started by truman D

viet nam - started by kennedy D

bosnia - started by clinton D

afaganstan and - started by bush R

syria - started by obama D

Do you see a trend here

#13 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-12-13 11:19 AM | Reply

#13 | Posted by Sniper You forgot Libya.

#14 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-12-13 01:12 PM | Reply