Thursday, December 12, 2019

American perception towards prescription drugs and more natural health solutions appears to be undergoing a significant shift. According to a survey of 2,000 Americans, half have used a natural remedy to treat an ailment over prescription medication.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The study examined the reasons why people choose natural remedies as well. A significant 66% said these treatments were more affordable than prescription drugs, while 56% said they were easier to obtain. Here's an interesting statistic: 50% said they used natural remedies because they didn't want to become addicted to prescription medication

Comments

Most prescription meds don't work on all people. It's more like 30%. Then toxic side effects. If you're allergic, you can die. That happened to a friend of mine.

Pot and magic mushrooms work one everyone. Ask Nulli if you can drag him from his sweat lodge.

And he doesn't charge much.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-12 01:07 PM | Reply

Hey Helium, can you get me some shrooms? I get depressed reading all the idiots on the retort.

Magic Mushrooms Pass First Hurdle as Depression Treatment

Another party drug is showing signs of going legit as magic mushrooms cleared the first hurdle of tests required to become a treatment for depression.

Read more at: www.bloombergquint.com
Copyright BloombergQuint

#2 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-12-12 01:33 PM | Reply

I had a discussion recently with a friend who has bought into the safety of natural drugs cult.

His reasoning for a good part of the discussion was, ~it is natural, meaning it is from nature, how could it hurt me?~

After listening to that over the course of ten minutes or so, I finally asked him, "arsenic is natural, would you eat that?"

The period of silence that ensued seemed like it lasted for minutes....

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-12-12 01:56 PM | Reply

@#2 ... Another party drug is showing signs of going legit ...

That's the interesting part in all this.

The party drugs have significant effects upon the body. The quest is to determine how those effects can be beneficial and what the dose should be.

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-12-12 01:58 PM | Reply

Prescription drugs tend to be a lot more expensive.

#5 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-12-12 01:58 PM | Reply

#2 I used to be able to but the guy that owned the cattle farm is out of contact. We used to go out there and flip cow-paddies for shrooms, and pinch the stems to see if they turned blue. His grandmother used to make tea out of them and sit happily on the back porch swing all day when he was a kid and he didn't understood why she was always so happy.

Found a hit of A a week ago that was real, but it was $15. The stuff is just impossible to find now. It used to be sex, drugs, and Rock-n-Roll. Now it's ------------, crack, and Miley Cyrus

#6 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-12 01:59 PM | Reply

#3 Sugar, or aspartame?

#7 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-12 02:02 PM | Reply

What do you call natural medicine that works? Medicine.

#8 | Posted by hamburglar at 2019-12-12 03:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER

Exactly. Microdosing is a fascinating aspect being looked at by some groups. One of which found a synthetic form of psilocybin that is being touted as a cure for all addictions. I know there are some drastic and dangerous exotic plant extracts that have been used (anecdotally) to help treat heroin addiction (one experience with this stuff and addicts claim addictions to be cured; crazy 12 hour experience they have to endure, though). So the theory has been shown to be possible in an anecdotal sense. Now it's time for some companies to profit off the theory. Really just comes down to the FDA processing the new drug through. Considering the DEA still lists psilocybin and cannabis as Schedule I drugs (i.e., illicit substances with no purported medical benefits), the drug in question still has a long way to go. But just imagine being able to microdose yourself with magic mushrooms away from alcoholism or tobacco use. It could very well be a major game changer, especially for those who are self medicating.

#9 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-12-12 04:08 PM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

You can grow your own. The mushrooms themselves are illegal to possess, but the spores to grow them are not. Nor is it illegal to buy, so you can purchase over the internet. I believe it only takes a couple months to grow (low light, damp conditions). My buddy pulled it off and the outcome was pleasant.

#10 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-12-12 04:11 PM | Reply

"Now it's time for some companies to profit off the theory"

Ugh. No.
The drugs are cheap.
The shaman is the expensive part.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-12 04:11 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#10 Psilocybin is... plentiful in the area because of the PTSD study going on at UCSD.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-12 04:13 PM | Reply

"3 in 4 say natural remedies are safer than Prescriptions"

First of all, I don't see why that's wrong.
Natural remedy is like, chicken soup. Not going to harm you.

Second of all, which prescription?
Vioxx?
I'll definitely stick with the soup.

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-12 04:15 PM | Reply

--Nor is it illegal to buy, so you can purchase over the internet

Actually it is in California and two other states.

#14 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-12-12 04:16 PM | Reply

The drugs are cheap.
The shaman is the expensive part.
#11 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Check this out:
www.fastcompany.com

Fascinating read:
Silicon Valley's psychedelic wonder drug is almost here

A new startup called MindMed could have the key to providing the upsides of psychedelic drugs for both focus and addiction treatment"while cutting out the downsides of tripping....MindMed, a company that's taking psychedelic drugs and turning them into medicine. Its first drug has the potential to turn a person's addictions"to cocaine, methamphetamine, morphine, sugar, alcohol"off like a light switch. It has a clear opportunity to help lower the nearly 70,000 annual drug overdose deaths that take place in the U.S. But the compound, 18-MC, has yet to undergo human efficacy trials, leaving open a big question: Will it even work?

#15 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-12-12 04:18 PM | Reply

Actually it is in California and two other states.
#14 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

Well, he pulled it off in San Diego. Unless you have a direct connect to black market, this probably the easiest way to get a hold of some. Plus, California is considering altering the laws surrounding psilocybin, so there may be hope to make it even easier.

#16 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-12-12 04:20 PM | Reply

--You can grow your own.

I've done that, but I had to purchase the spores when I was out of state.

#17 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-12-12 04:21 PM | Reply

--Well, he pulled it off in San Diego.

You can find european sources that are willing to ship to California, but not domestic ones. Problem with europe is they have to go through customs.

#18 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-12-12 04:24 PM | Reply

plentiful in the area because of the PTSD study going on at UCSD.
#12 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Interesting. I know people at UCSD (in a professional sense), but that's not exactly a conversation for me to have with them. Now thinking about it, my lack of ties to the black market truly exemplify how old I am getting.

So happy cannabis is now legal. What a pain it was to find someone, anyone with some decent non-Mexi cannabis. My neighbor has a decent sized outdoor operation going on. The plants are more than 8 feet tall, growing far above our fence line. So it constantly smells like pot around my house. But looks like all the plants are males. Her results are PACKED with seeds. Took me back to my high school days; the tediousness of picking out seeds and worrying about smoking one leading to lower sperm count.

Meh, just go down the street to local pot shop. $40 for some really good pot, seedless. I never thought we'd get to this stage of progress when I was in college.

#19 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-12-12 04:27 PM | Reply

I get depressed reading all the idiots on the retort.
#2 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

Stuck on your user page again?

#20 | Posted by JOE at 2019-12-12 04:28 PM | Reply | Funny: 6

#18 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

If I remember correctly, my buddy ordered his from Minnesota or Michigan. But that was back in 2002 or 2003.

So I'm sure your right about the current situation, but there's always the Silk Road (or what ever replacement that has been established). Georgia and Idaho were the other two states you mentioned.

#21 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-12-12 04:31 PM | Reply

So happy cannabis is now legal...My neighbor has a decent sized outdoor operation going on.

Illinois just legalized it but it is still illegal to grow your own. Gotta protect the government-sanctioned cartels.

#22 | Posted by JOE at 2019-12-12 04:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#21 | Posted by rstybeach11

Having a friend in another state to purchase the spores might be the safest way for Californians.

#23 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-12-12 04:40 PM | Reply

www.reddit.com

#24 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-12-12 04:47 PM | Reply

#23 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

Yup. Or bring them back on the plane during a trip out of state. Transporting stuff like cannabis on the plane seems easy peasy these days. TSA more concerned with massive amounts of meth and coke and heroin, etc. Not so much pot and doubt they would know what to look for with mushroom spores. Many assumptions on my part, but glad to know you imbibe. Ever consider the micro-dosing route? I'm not sure I could handle a "full dose" any more. Micro-dosing sounds intriguing.

More to the threads topic, I'm really glad I never tried jumping on the adderall or ambien train (at one time considered both). I've read folks successfully using micro-dosing of LSD to kick those habits.

#25 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-12-12 04:49 PM | Reply

--Ever consider the micro-dosing route? I'm not sure I could handle a "full dose" any more. Micro-dosing sounds intriguing.

Would try it if I could get ahold of the product.
thehustle.co

#26 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-12-12 04:54 PM | Reply

Would try it if I could get ahold of the product.
thehustle.co
#26 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

Always seems to be THE issue with us old fogies.

#27 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-12-12 05:06 PM | Reply

Just hit the beach one night and ask people around the fire...

#28 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-12 05:15 PM | Reply

--Always seems to be THE issue with us old fogies.

Yeah, and now we can get cannabis legally, but who cares? That's not nearly as interesting or potentially beneficial as these other substances.

#29 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-12-12 05:21 PM | Reply

I occasionally use both shrooms and cannibis. I'd never let the gov't know I was using either. just a hint to those of you who partake. don't leave records and no one will suspect you of committing federal crimes. grow your own or purchase from qualified individuals that fly under the radar.

#30 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-12-12 08:59 PM | Reply

"In the past, if someone knew nothing and talked nonsense, no one paid any attention to him. No more. Now such people are courted and flattered by conservative politicians and ideologues as "Real Americans" defending their country against big government and educated liberal elites."

Charles Simic

#31 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2019-12-12 10:10 PM | Reply

Probably true ... might not be effective, but probably safer to be sure.

#32 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-12-12 10:18 PM | Reply

Just hit the beach one night and ask people around the fire...
#28 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Or ask Mackris....

#33 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-12-12 10:19 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by rstybeach11

"The shaman is the expensive part."

Please take your Nulli hate elsewhere, sir.

#34 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-12-14 02:19 PM | Reply

Please take your Nulli hate elsewhere, sir.
#34 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT

Take your censorship elsewhere, rat.

#35 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-12-14 02:31 PM | Reply