Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Of the seven Christmas songs currently in the Hot 100, "All I Want for Christmas Is You" is the only one written after 1990. So is there another soon to be classic on the horizon? Quartz's analysis of the data suggests it might just be Kelly Clarkson's "Underneath the Tree." The song currently sits at number 15 on the Billboard Holiday 100, its highest position on that chart in the week before Christmas since just after the song was released in 2013.

Comments

"The Christians and the Pagans" by Dar Williams, about a solstice-celebrating lesbian couple who visit devout Christian relatives during Yuletide.

www.youtube.com

#1 | Posted by sixam at 2019-12-24 07:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

maybe this one

www.youtube.com

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2019-12-24 08:01 PM | Reply

Seniority #2 welcome back

#3 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-12-24 11:57 PM | Reply

I think we're ready for a Kung -- Black Jesus-Shaft-Sharky's Machine type funk-rap Christmas tune.

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-12-25 12:25 AM | Reply

This one!

#5 | Posted by RevDarko at 2019-12-25 06:39 AM | Reply

Really?

A whole thread on the front page about privileged white people's bull ---???

Just damn, Rcade.

#6 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-12-25 10:30 PM | Reply

Not a fan of Christmas but I like some Christmas songs, none of the above are going to be classics IMHO.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2019-12-26 08:33 AM | Reply

The standard fare on nonoffensive store Christmas play lists gets SO OLD.

I've listened to a TON of Christmas music since 11/29/19 and the many varieties of Jesus Christ honoring music is so rich, deep and meaningful that the great chasm between the two types of music will never be bridged.

But I welcome the attempts.
And I'll pass on "Christmas shoes."

#8 | Posted by drivelikejehu at 2019-12-26 09:25 AM | Reply

I was watching an interview with the man who wrote All I want for Christmas with Mariah Carey (don't remember his name and I don't care)

He took things very serious.

Granted it's a good song and written well. It's interesting after 25 years this year it hit #1.

But he put his song in with others that are "powerful".

ummm...."powerful".

a catchy pop song with a good beat sung by a great voice....but I wouldn't say "powerful".

He's not saving mankind and the song has no insightful deeper meaning.

It's always sad when people starting believing they're as great as their hangers-on tell them they are.

He'd do better to stay out of the limelight and let the song get all the attention.

#9 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-12-26 02:44 PM | Reply

I would imagine plenty of songwriters are trying to write The Next Christmas Song because the royalties mean you'd be set for life.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-12-26 04:12 PM | Reply

All a wonderful matter of taste, I guess. I remember reading that "I'll Be Home For Christmas" was banned from the BBC during WWII. Too demoralizing for the troops.

#11 | Posted by nimbleswitch at 2019-12-27 06:56 AM | Reply