Tuesday, December 31, 2019

The Federal Reserve has released a study that found the tariffs imposed by the Trump administration in 2018 led to higher prices and fewer manufacturing jobs.

Comments

Who'd have thought? Trade wars are EASY to win right?

#1 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-12-31 01:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Alternate conclusion of Fed study: Math = math.

#2 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-12-31 01:02 PM | Reply

I've been watching the silliness on this forum since before Bush the lesser...my first post. Danforth is correct as usual but where are the trumpists to explain how this is good news?

#3 | Posted by wranglepolitics at 2019-12-31 07:28 PM | Reply

The dingalings keep saying that raising taxes will just raise prices and kill jobs.

Then when Trump raises taxes and prices rise and jobs are lost, all they have is pikachu face.

#4 | Posted by bored at 2019-12-31 07:42 PM | Reply

Duh ... the whole idea of a tariff is to increase the price of the target product/industry so the native/local/national industry can increase its prices and hopefully survive.

I don't agree but that is the point of tariffs.

The question is which manufacturing jobs, and which prices and by how much....

Taxes are raised across the board ... Bored ...

FFS you are stupid

#5 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-12-31 07:51 PM | Reply

A fair number of the importing companies are in fact US owned...and they're passing the price increases on to the US consumers. Or maybe I can't read the reports correctly and someone other than the mattress can correct me. I'm always willing to listen to someone who can clearly explain something and back up their views with facts.

#6 | Posted by wranglepolitics at 2019-12-31 08:19 PM | Reply

#5 That is trumpian level of stupid. Tariffs elicit a retaliatory response that raises prices again and reduces demand and jobs. Which is what the Fed report proved.

You must be one of those morons that think the US military can murder brown people without blow back.

Who knew trade policy was so complicated.

#7 | Posted by bored at 2020-01-01 03:30 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Sadly, when the blowback from Trump's insane view of Economics evolves to fruition, the bottom 99% get dumped upon. Register and vote the rascals out, people!

#8 | Posted by john47 at 2020-01-01 10:41 AM | Reply

--the bottom 99% get dumped upon.

lol. Narrow the target. Pretend that the 99 percent is one big, struggling proletariat with the same class interests. Pretend that all the money for Democrat free stuff can be raised without taxing the upper 20 percent, the Favored Fifth. No one believes that rubbish except math-challenged leftists.

#9 | Posted by nullifidian at 2020-01-01 10:52 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#9 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN AT

And there it is.

Anything that helps people who work for a living just isn't sustainable, viable, practical, there is no money for it, etc.

Conversely, 5 people hoarding half a trillion dollars is absolutely sustainable.

#10 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2020-01-01 03:23 PM | Reply

Um...I guess this actually has to be said...but the information in that article is not meant, and are not inclusive enough, to form opinions about the necessity of the tariffs. I mean, it's possible to have differing opinions of the tariffs but this article doesn't provide anything that is needed to form logical, intelligent opinions about the topic. It's just a small measure of some of the effects of the tariffs. It would be like forming an opinion from an article that said, "Because people ----, 100 tons of paper are forced into sewage and we waste 500 million gallons of clean water everyday"...and then saying, "OMG!!! We have to stop ----ing!! ----ing is the worst thing ever and only racists ----! We are in this mess because of racists!!!!!! Stop ----ing, you racist --------!" That might be a bit of exaggerated sarcasm but there is a political party who sounds almost exactly like that about everything but I won't name them (hint: it rhymes with Shmemocrats)

But I'm not picking on Dems. It truly will be a wonderful day when hate-filled partisan people from all sides just don't exist on this planet anymore. Uh oh, since I assume there are hate-filled partisan people who aren't white, I guess DR Libs are going to call me racist. Oh well, at least I'll know my point got across while you work on finding a way to hate me and call me names/put me down (but I'd rather you actually think about it and come to smarter conclusions...hey, I can dream).

#11 | Posted by humtake at 2020-01-02 01:14 PM | Reply