Wednesday, January 08, 2020

The first Space Launch System (SLS) rocket core stage for NASA's Artemis program completed manufacturing work at NASA's Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans and was loaded onto the agency's Pegasus barge on Jan. 8 for delivery to NASA's Stennis Space Center near Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. With NASA Deputy Administrator Jim Morhard in attendance, NASA rolled out the core stage for the SLS rocket onto Pegasus in preparation for the Green Run test series, the final test campaign ahead of the agency's first Artemis launch.

Comments

Way back in the day I had a 1-year stint where I worked at Michoud (pronounced me-shoo) on the external tank program for the space shuttle.

#1 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-01-08 07:41 PM | Reply

They'll still use the thing once and chuck it into the ocean, just like they did 50 years ago. If I built rockets for a living that's what I'd want my customers to do. Then I get to sell more rockets. We need something better than rockets but at least SpaceX is trying to get the costs down a little by reusing boosters. Why can't NASA do the same?

#2 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2020-01-09 05:14 PM | Reply

It's been a while since I've read about the SLS but I remember it being an Apollo-like capsule stuck on top of a cluster of SMEs under a shuttle external tank with SRBs bolted to the side.

Which seems like they're really just using up inventory and saving costs on SRB recovery and refurbishment.

In any case, I'd love to see one of these go off in person. I'm far to young to have experienced the Saturn V and this seems like the closest chance I'll get.

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-09 09:42 PM | Reply

they're really just using up inventory
#3 | Posted by jpw

It's all new stuff. The SRBs (the only rocket NASA ever bought that killed a crew) is similar to what the shuttle used but longer. The rocket body is built using Shuttle external tank tooling but it's new build. Basically it won't do anything the Saturn 5 didn't do. 50 years after the Wright Brothers flew we were building supersonic jets. NASA is living in the past. Sigh.

And yes, I'd love to see it lift off.

#4 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2020-01-09 09:56 PM | Reply

*shrug* told you it had been a while LOL

#5 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-09 10:13 PM | Reply