Sunday, January 12, 2020

Scientists at the MDI Biological Laboratory, in collaboration with scientists from the Buck Institute for Research on Aging in Novato, Calif., and Nanjing University in China, have identified synergistic cellular pathways for longevity that amplify lifespan fivefold in C. elegans, a nematode worm used as a model in aging research. The increase in lifespan would be the equivalent of a human living for 400 or 500 years, according to one of the scientists.

Comments

Meh. It'll probably add 5-10 years in humans. Tops.

That's when cancer will get us anyways.

#1 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-09 12:11 PM | Reply

Good news for Danni. Bet really we don't need to unwrap her, she knows the incantation: www.youtube.com

#2 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2020-01-09 02:45 PM | Reply

Too bad that life on earth will end in just about 11 years, so I guess that they can stop research and just party like it's 1999.

#3 | Posted by MSgt at 2020-01-09 05:59 PM | Reply

It's never been claimed life will end, idiot.

Seriously, why do you bother posting when all you say is false (likely on purpose) bullschit?

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-09 06:02 PM | Reply

>Extend Lifespan by 500%
>C. elegans, a nematode worm used as a model in aging research
found your problem.

#5 | Posted by berserkone at 2020-01-12 05:38 AM | Reply

Trump 2520...KAG

#6 | Posted by Greatamerican at 2020-01-12 06:17 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Does it drastically slow aging, or does it actually make people feel younger?

At age 48 I wouldn't mind slowing aging down. But if this were to mainstreamed when I'm in my 60's or 70's I don't think I'd want to prolong my life in that physical state.

#7 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-01-12 01:04 PM | Reply

"But if this were to mainstreamed when I'm in my 60's or 70's I don't think I'd want to prolong my life in that physical state."

Start working out now every day, so you can be as fit as Jack LaLanne was at that age.

#8 | Posted by sentinel at 2020-01-12 01:08 PM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY JEFFJ >

Living for centuries would create whole new unforeseen problems though. What are you going to do for 500 years?!? Talk about becoming life weary! Many would eventually die violently in accidents ,war, crime etc.

#9 | Posted by shane at 2020-01-12 02:57 PM | Reply

#9 | Posted by JeffJ

It's all about slowing/reducing "aging" at the cellular level.

I don't think starting in your 40's would make you feel like you're 18 again. It would prolong your 40s and make the periods of time you were 50s 60s ect longer than the decades we associate with them.

#10 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-12 05:14 PM | Reply

Please wait till all the boomers are gone before you start this.

No on wants them lingering any longer.

#11 | Posted by kudzu at 2020-01-12 05:41 PM | Reply

Obvious downside is the Rolling Stones still touring in their 100's.

#12 | Posted by Docman at 2020-01-13 07:23 AM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

Headline seems overly ambitious.

#13 | Posted by Angrydad at 2020-01-13 08:00 AM | Reply

"Yeah if they could do it like in the novel "Brave New World" where they somehow go in and "arrest" ,so to speak, the aging clock in humans at age 25."

I feel like my brain didn't finish maturing until 35.

#14 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-01-13 10:42 AM | Reply

The best way to extend your life is by doing more with what you already have.

#15 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2020-01-13 10:59 AM | Reply

So, something that could be simulated to some extent with metformin and rapamycin currently. May have to look into that. And to anyone who would point out rapa's effect on the immune system - it's complicated. While an immune suppressing anti-rejection drug, small doses have actually bolstered the immune systems of the elderly in some studies.

I really have a lot of hope for us getting somewhere with life-extending drugs. 40 this last year, and not even close to slowing down.

#16 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2020-01-13 12:11 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Old timers will sit around the retirement community and reminisce, "Hey, Charlie, remember when we were only 300 and felt like we could do anything?"

"Yeah, ha ha. And you were still dating that feisty 230-year-old kid! Such a scandal. What legs she had!"

#17 | Posted by cbob at 2020-01-13 04:57 PM | Reply

Ray Kurzweil's prediction that the first human being to live to the age of a thousand years is getting closer to fruition than not, it seems.

#18 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2020-01-13 05:58 PM | Reply

Statistically we can't live past 300. An accident takes you. All you have to do is walk under the wrong ladder.

Unless you're Danna. That thing has no bane. We can only try to imprison it or send it back.

#19 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2020-01-13 06:15 PM | Reply