Tuesday, January 14, 2020

MLB.com: Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch were each suspended without pay for the 2020 season by Major League Baseball, which on Monday released the findings from its investigation of Houston's sign-stealing allegations.

Comments

There's a lot of hurt feelings and anger coming from the SoCal area after this. Right ROC?

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-01-13 09:41 PM | Reply

My uncle was a die-hard Astros fan. He took me to my first ball game in the newly opened Astrodome in the '60s. Sadly, he died three months before they won the World Series a couple of years ago. But I'm glad he's not alive to see this. He'd be devestated -- not by the firings, but by the cheating.

#2 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-13 10:03 PM | Reply

Boy, it's a good thing they didn't bet on the series.

#3 | Posted by 6thPersona at 2020-01-13 10:10 PM | Reply

Yes there are, but I am a life-long Giants fan, so there is a lot of schadenfreude from me as well.

I am sure you can relate since you thought you were giving me a dig.

Sorry to disappoint.

#4 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-01-13 10:15 PM | Reply

I am sure you can relate since you thought you were giving me a dig.

Sorry to disappoint.

Why do you always think that I'm trying to imply something negative toward you? I wasn't. I know that you're connected in LA and Plaschke (among many others) wants to see Houston's 'chip vacated. You of all posters here would probably know people with strong opinions if not vest interests in this topic.

I don't go through my life beefing with people. I hope everyone is happy doing whatever it is that supplies them joy. I'm no wallflower (no ish, huh?) but every single thing is not about trying to show up someone unless they deserve it or came at me first. I was reaching out to you because you're likely in the know. If anything happens in Indy you might want to know about, I'd expect the same from you.

Let us know what you hear because I'm sure the dust hasn't settled yet.

#5 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-01-13 10:25 PM | Reply

vested....

#6 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-01-13 10:25 PM | Reply

Fair enough, you can see how that sounded snarky though, right?

#7 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-01-13 10:29 PM | Reply

Not really. That's kinda my point. I wasn't trying to be snarky toward YOU. It was simply my question to you for a firsthand viewpoint.

I anticipated that many Dodger fans are incensed right now, and you're right there at ground zero.

I was asking you if my guess of many angry LA-area folks was confirmed by your experiences, that was all. I was asking about them, not assigning you that position - unless you replied that you were upset too, which you didn't.

I just thought it was obvious that the comment was one of me seeking information, not assigning anything negative towards you personally.

And I do understand how it can be perceived that way, but the way I say it to myself must be far different than others hear it for themselves.

I'll have to remember that.

#8 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-01-13 10:37 PM | Reply

Now that my fe-fe's have been adequately addressed, it appears that Boston and the Mets are going to lose managers from this fiasco too. Joey Cora; who's alleged to have designed Houston's signaling scheme before he left, and Carlos Beltran, who was involved as a player then too.

This one is going to reverberate for quite a while I predict.

#9 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-01-13 10:56 PM | Reply

Semi-apology accepted.

Most of my Dodger fan friends are pretty sanguine about it, while serious they realize that it takes more than a few stolen signs to win or lose a 7 game series.

Could it have made a difference? Sure. But Yu Darvish imploding in Game 7 was the ultimate difference maker.

#10 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-01-13 11:41 PM | Reply

Before coming to Houston, Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow was employed by McKinsey & Company. Check out their Wikipedia page-- its like a veritable who's-who of global scandals and dirty dealing....

#11 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2020-01-14 09:52 AM | Reply

Houston Astros got off too easily. Marge Schott lost her franchise after a conference call revealed her racist nature. Seems like Astro Ownership simply will pay the cost of a bad relief pitcher and walks away unblemished.

Crane should have been forced to divest the team. That would have put an end to franchise Owners looking the other way, when employees seek to circumvent competitive rules.

The cheating scheme robbed opposition players, and fans around the world of a balanced field of skill-based winners and losers. It perpetrated fraud. Complicit players deserve to be tagged with the mark of Cain. The Championship should have been nullified.

#12 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2020-01-14 10:26 AM | Reply

When I was in little league, we were taught never to steal signs.

But we did switch the signs of the women's and men's lavatories in the visitor's locker room once...

#13 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2020-01-14 10:52 AM | Reply

ROC - It's more than a few stolen signs, isn't it? My understanding they were tipping off pitches to hitters. That's huge!!!!!! Hitters suddenly get a big time advantage.

Stealing signs is part of baseball. It's why the catcher hides the signs, and teams change their signs from third base throughout the game.

But as soon as you introduce cameras/technology to interrupt the game, that's really bad. Players should be ashamed of themselves, and IMO deserve most of the blame - but the Players Union would put up a huge fight.

#14 | Posted by brass30 at 2020-01-14 11:50 AM | Reply

You'll have to be excuse FakeLawyer, he's a Ruskie that doesn't understand baseball.

#15 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2020-01-14 12:08 PM | Reply

$5 million is cheap for a World Series win. It's OK because cheating is the new way. Ask any right-winger, they'll tell you it doesn't matter if you cheat to win, at this point, it doesn't even matter if you get caught. They'll say cheating is part of the game, and if you aren't prepared for it, that's on you. It's "conservative" SOP at this point. They cheat at everything.

#16 | Posted by chuffy at 2020-01-14 01:27 PM | Reply

Annnnd Chufftard stampedes in to make it partisan.

Well done, I guess.

#17 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-01-14 03:15 PM | Reply

"You'll have to be excuse FakeLawyer..."
You're illiterate, monson.

Not as bad as this one.
"We're you homeschooled by chance Cletus?"

#18 | Posted by willowby at 2020-01-14 05:50 PM | Reply

Some who post here tend to make me feel better about myself. Maybe I'm not as dumb as mother-in-law thinks

#19 | Posted by codom19 at 2020-01-15 10:20 PM | Reply