Thursday, January 16, 2020

This afternoon at 2 p.m., Chief Justice John Roberts will travel by car from the Supreme Court to the Senate to assume his role as presiding officer over the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump.

Comments

There's a kegger after, right?

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2020-01-16 02:27 PM | Reply

There's a kegger after, right?

Kavanaugh will be boofing throughout the proceedings.

#2 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-01-16 02:35 PM | Reply

Roberts has taken his role very seriously and seems to have avoided overt partisanship on the bench.

Curious to see if that trend continues in the trial and if he can force some semblance of legitimacy into the proceeding.

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-16 03:12 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

As I have said repeatedly, CJ Roberts is acutely aware that this will shape his legacy, and he was known for his no nonsense demeanor on the bench and I would anticipate that will carry over to this proceeding.

Given that it is my understanding that only 2 of the House impeachment managers have trial experience (Schiff and Garcia) it could be interesting to see the interactions between the House impeachment managers and Roberts over the next several days.

#4 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-01-16 03:27 PM | Reply

I hope so.

I'm also not sure how much power he'll actually have to inject some legitimacy into what is currently shaping up to be a complete sham.

I don't know. I'm approaching burnout on all this schit and it's only going to intensify as the "trial" and election year progress.

#5 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-16 04:56 PM | Reply

Not a student of history, are you?

Supreme Court justices don't want a legacy of having placed their thumb on the scales of a political process. CJ Rehnquist (Roberts' predecessor, who Roberts also clerked for) famously said, of the Clinton impeachment he presided over, something like "I did nothing, and i did it very well." The only educated guess to be made here is that Roberts is going to do his best to be invisible.

#6 | Posted by JOE at 2020-01-16 05:10 PM | Reply

Agreed, hence the comment about his caring about his legacy.

Try to keep up.

#7 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-01-16 06:26 PM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER AT 2020-01-16 03:27 PM | REPLY | FLAG
"and he was known for his no nonsense demeanor"

like his dissent over gay marriage? I give a schist about a lot of stuff but I don't care about a gay wanting to marry another... C'mon dude, you can do better.

#8 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-01-16 09:09 PM | Reply

This is what I said: "he was known for his no nonsense demeanor on the bench."

We are talking about how he is going to conduct a trial from the bench, not his published positions after hearing arguments.

#9 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-01-16 09:26 PM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER AT 2020-01-16 09:26 PM | FLAG:

OK I can agree with that.. and there may be a lot of people who are furious with the way he handles that.. Roberts is the vehicle that will either guarantee a real, partisan-free trial. but he may be the guy that lets Trump skate.... we will see. But you and I both know Trump is guilty of at least obstruction and bribery, regardless of the partisan buffoonery. As I said last night, I will wait to see the evidence and the opinions...

#10 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-01-16 09:31 PM | Reply

I understand why Roberts is there (appearance of decorum) as the "presiding judge" but there doesn't seem to be anything he actually "presides" over except maybe as a tie breaker.

I also noticed how badly Roberts' hands were shaking when he read his statement from a piece of paper. I wondered what he had to be so nervous about.

He also looked to me that he would rather be anyplace else but there. Almost like he resented a Supreme Court Chief Justice being placed in such an awkward situation.

#11 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-01-17 01:41 AM | Reply

#11 Roberts has epilepsy or some other manner of neurological condition which could explain it.
I remember feeling bad, for thinking maybe he won't last that long, due to his health.
Now, I think, hey, at least he seems sane compared to Gorsuch, Alito and Thomas.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-17 01:54 AM | Reply

SNOOFY

So you noticed it too?

So . . . are you saying "if" or are you stating a fact?

Another neurological condition could be Parkinson. Or maybe he was just nervous. I just thought it was noteworthy that someone of his stature would be nervous in front of the U.S. Senate.

I know I would. But the Chief Justice? Really? The guy is bulletproof.

#13 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-01-17 03:56 AM | Reply

Just one thing SNOOFY . . Roberts right hand WAS NOT shaking when he took his oath.

#14 | Posted by Twinpac at 2020-01-17 04:11 AM | Reply

Agreed, hence the comment about his caring about his legacy.

The context of your comment about his legacy was that you thought Roberts would bring his alleged no-nonsense demeanor to the impeachment proceedings.

That is not consistent with the way his former boss conducted an impeachment proceeding, where he largely deferred to a Senate parliamentarian and prided himself on "doing nothing at all."

Anyone can see your comment so there's no need to pretend you didn't say it. Now dance, monkey.

#15 | Posted by JOE at 2020-01-17 04:15 AM | Reply

Everything is going according to Humpy's Plan.

Mooooo Ha! Ha!

#16 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-01-17 10:59 AM | Reply

I feel a little sorry for Chief Justice Roberts having to take the oath administered by Sen. Grassley who has already decided to violate the oath he will have taken soon after Roberts took his. And Roberts knew that as he took his own oath, I do sincerely feel sorry for a Justice, such as him, to have to pretend that the Senate trial is going to be a legitimate examination of the evidence and testimony followed by a fair and impartial verdict when he knows it is all just a sham.

#17 | Posted by danni at 2020-01-17 11:20 AM | Reply

And he will, since he had the same demeanor on the bench as, wait for it, William Rehnquist. Everyone behaved themselves in the Clinton trial, so CJ Rehnquist was commenting on the fact that he didn't have to do anything.

Not much of a student of history, are you?

You are always so desperate to prove me wrong about something...anything...that it is almost comical. No wonder you are no longer a litigator.

Dance monkey indeed.

#18 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-01-17 02:16 PM | Reply

SNOOFY
So you noticed it too?
So . . . are you saying "if" or are you stating a fact?

No, I didn't see it.
I was just explaining why he might have some kind of tremor.
It's because he has epilepsy.
www.epilepsy.com

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-17 04:03 PM | Reply

"Everyone behaved themselves in the Clinton trial, so CJ Rehnquist was commenting on the fact that he didn't have to do anything."

That lightning doesn't appear to be willing to strike twice.

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-17 04:03 PM | Reply

This explains about 'presiding' over the impeachment: www.scotusblog.com

Not quite what many people think it is.

#21 | Posted by MSgt at 2020-01-17 05:46 PM | Reply

Please keep in mind that when it became obvious that an impeachment was going to happen, some Republicans and several Trump supporters started to make noise about the fact that Chief Justice Roberts should NOT be allowed to oversea the Senate trial as he was seen as being too apolitical when it comes to the role of judges. They tried to find a way of getting Justice Thomas to preside instead. Their argument was that since he's the longest serving justice, that he should be given the responsibility to oversea the Senate trial.

OCU