Sunday, January 19, 2020

Chesley B. Sullenberger III: Regardless of how you feel about Joe Biden, or his chances of becoming the Democratic nominee for president; whether you are a Republican, a Democrat, or none of the above; whether you stuttered as a child or laughed at one who did; whether as a parent you try to protect your own stuttering child from taunts such as those made by [Laura Trump]; these words come without hesitation: Stop. Grow up. Show some decency.

Comments

What might a child who stutters, as I did, feel when they hear a grown-up on a public stage trying to make a bunch of other adults laugh by ridiculing a public figure who also stutters? This culture of cruelty is what drives decent people from public service, and what makes millions of Americans recoil from politics, and even from participating in our democracy.

So, to every child who feels today, what I felt, after hearing those cruel remarks by an adult who should know better, here is what I want you to know:

You are fine, just as you are. You can do any job you dream of when you grow up. You can be a pilot who lands your plane on a river and helps save lives, or a president who treats people with respect, rather than making fun of them. You can become a teacher to kids who stutter. A speech disorder is a lot easier to treat than a character defect. You become a true leader, not because of how you speak, but because of what you have to say " and the challenges you have overcome to help others. Ignore kids (and adults) who are mean, or don't know what it feels like to stutter. Respond by showing them how to be kind, polite, respectful and generous, to be brave enough to try big things, even though you are not perfect.

Do that, and the sky is the limit. Take it from me.

Thanks Sully for yet another save.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-01-18 08:25 PM | Reply

LOL .... just bringing this up is funny.... I forgot Biden was a stutterer.

Keep swinging TehranTony, keep swinging.

#2 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-01-18 08:32 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

just bringing this up is funny.

Why? Don't you know the reason he wrote this now?

Lara Trump mocks Biden: 'Let's get the words out Joe'

01/17/20 02:24 PM EST

President Trump's daughter-in-law Lara Trump went after former Vice President Joe Biden on Friday at a campaign event for Trump.

She seemed to be mocking Biden's well-documented stuttering problem, telling the crowd: "I feel kind of sad for Biden ... I'm supposed to want him to fail at every turn, but every time he comes onstage or they turn to him, I'm like, 'Joe can you get it out? Let's get the words out Joe.' "

Take a break slurping Trump's sack and maybe you'd be up on the news Mattress. Or are your tricks keeping you too busy?

#3 | Posted by tonyroma at 2020-01-18 09:12 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Lol expecting the Trumps to show decency.

More LOL at expecting his supporters to show decency.

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-18 09:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 7

"I hit a --------------- bird, I'm ggggggoinf back to LaGuardia!"

#5 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2020-01-19 10:58 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#3 | Posted by tonyroma

Looks like Trig Tony needs to find some more crackpot conspiracy theories to cut and paste.

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2020-01-19 11:03 AM | Reply

Y'all are seriously attacking Tony for asking the level of discourse to be raised above juvenile slurs?

I reckon' you folks don't need to stutter for others to be aware that there's a serious problem with your brains*

*: Assuming you have one

#7 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2020-01-19 12:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The skuttering left been making fun of Trump's speaking oddities for 3 years, so now we give plugs a free pass??
Lol I don't think so.

#8 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2020-01-19 02:07 PM | Reply

The skuttering left been making fun of Trump's speaking oddities...
#8 | POSTED BY PHESTEROBOYLE

No one's denying that Biden has a stutter, is this your admission that Trump is an idiot who can't put a cohesive sentence together?

#9 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2020-01-19 09:13 PM | Reply

Trump's speaking oddities for 3 years,

Does pathological blatant lying count as an oddity?

#10 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-01-20 07:14 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Nobody gives a ---- about his stuttering problem. He's got a dotard problem. He can't get a sentence out if he isn't hopped up on a modafinil and adderall speedball.

#11 | Posted by Ben_Berkkake at 2020-01-20 07:34 AM | Reply

Apparently Joe Biden and his family should be off limits. Like royalty.

#12 | Posted by visitor_ at 2020-01-20 10:30 AM | Reply

Joe shouldnt be off limits but if you idiots would be honest about the article you'd understand that disabilities should absolutely be off limits. It really should go without saying.

#13 | Posted by justagirl_idaho at 2020-01-20 10:38 AM | Reply

The president mocks the disabled, just pointing that out.

#14 | Posted by truthhurts at 2020-01-20 10:47 AM | Reply

#13 | POSTED BY JUSTAGIRL_IDAHO

I ag-g-g-gree-ee w-w-w-w-wi-th-th-th y-y-y-y-ou.

#15 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-01-20 10:54 AM | Reply

Skin tone, hairline, weight are all off limits. Good to know.

#16 | Posted by visitor_ at 2020-01-20 11:32 AM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY BEN_BERKKAKE

The first part I agree with. Biden says stupid ----.

The point of the article is that we shouldn't bully people for stuttering.

I'm not surprised the DR Right missed the point entirely.

#17 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-01-20 12:24 PM | Reply

"What might a child who stutters, as I did, feel when they hear a grown-up on a public stage trying to make a bunch of other adults laugh by ridiculing a public figure who also stutters?"

Oh, I don't know, they may realize that life isn't unicorns and rainbows and sometimes you have to be the bigger person and act more adult than even adults?

But I know Libs don't like personal responsibility and logic, so I'm assuming the answer they want to the question is they would feel bad about themselves and consider suicide while they sit in their safe space. Which, unless you are a really really really delusional person, is a very bad way to have to live your life and accomplishes nothing. It's sad Libs have created an environment where kids actually have to be tortured like that instead of learning to grow up, adapt, and manage the world we live in.

#18 | Posted by humtake at 2020-01-20 12:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Oh, and I really hope he read DR comments because I'm mocking him right now. I'll keep doing it. I'm not sure what the threat is but I'm doing it, what are you going to do? That kind of statement is so weak and shows how weak the person is.

#19 | Posted by humtake at 2020-01-20 12:37 PM | Reply

When I was a kid and encountered someone who stuttered i gave them three choices:

1. Swirlie

2. Wedgie plus ----- twister

3. Tossed into a picker bush

My theory was negative reinforcement would cure the stutter. I did it out of love and compassion.

#20 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-01-20 12:45 PM | Reply

@ 20

So which one did you inevitably choose?

#21 | Posted by truthhurts at 2020-01-20 12:48 PM | Reply

#21. I gave the choices. Last one chose the picker bush. It was transformative. The stuttering stopped immediately. It was reminiscent of falling into a well and having the eyes go crossed only to be kicked by a mule and have them go back to normal. I don't know.

#22 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-01-20 12:58 PM | Reply

Sure, Jeff you gave those options and ended up getting your ------- twisted, admit it.

#23 | Posted by truthhurts at 2020-01-20 12:59 PM | Reply

Dang it, Troofy!

How is it that you can always see through me?

#24 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-01-20 01:02 PM | Reply

my initial attempt a humor was poorly executed. I instantly regretted the lack of clarity

#25 | Posted by truthhurts at 2020-01-20 01:14 PM | Reply

#25 You got it right the second time though.

Well played.