Monday, January 20, 2020

After 30 years as a controversial Indian-American character on "The Simpsons," Hank Azaria has announced he will no longer voice the thickly accented Apu Nahasapeemapetilon.

Comments

Too bad. The accent was perfect. I honestly once thought they had a real Indian doing it.

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2020-01-19 02:13 PM | Reply

PC culture run amok.

The reality is, The Simpson's has run its course.

Time to put it out to pasture.

Thanks for the laughs.

#2 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-01-19 02:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I cannot honestly remember watching a Simpsons episode since I graduated undergrad in 1999. I wonder who is the audience now for that show.

#3 | Posted by iragoldberg at 2020-01-19 07:41 PM | Reply

Anyone that wants to see the future.

youtu.be

#4 | Posted by bored at 2020-01-19 08:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

www.youtube.com

#5 | Posted by Merovigan at 2020-01-20 06:24 PM | Reply

I loved the Simpsons. I still do, even though I couldn't tell you the last time I watched a whole episode.

Maybe it's my white privilege, but I never thought of Apu as mocking Indians.

What about Groundskeeper Willie? Will Dan Castelleneta quit doing the character?

#6 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2020-01-20 06:32 PM | Reply

Say it isn't so! Who else is going to proudly wear the colors of the Springfield Heights Institute of Technology, where Apu got his doctorate?

Seriously, the SJW shht has to stop at some point.

#7 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-01-20 07:19 PM | Reply

"The reality is, The Simpson's has run its course."

Who knows what adventures they'll have between now and the time the show becomes unprofitable?
comb.io

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-20 07:20 PM | Reply

Keep driving more swing voters to vote for trump you overly woke idiots.

#9 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-01-21 12:30 AM | Reply

During a G20 or something meetup in South America, when Modi's plane touched down, the news channel in that country (I think Chile) said "Apu just arrived".

i.postimg.cc

So there was quite a campaign behind the scenes by India to end this character.

#10 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2020-01-21 10:30 AM | Reply

Maybe it's my white privilege, but I never thought of Apu as mocking Indians.
#6 | POSTED BY 101CHAIRBORNE

Agreed. I thought Apu represented the American dream. Sure, he had a strong accent that came from growing up with a different language. But he came here, became a small business owner, got a hot wife, had some kids, and was doing better than the average white guy on the show.

I always saw Apu as the smart, normal one. Perhaps the only smart, normal one on the show.

And to be honest, around Dallas, most of the 7-11s are owned and operated by people originally from India. They are hard-working business owners again that represent the American dream. Accent and all, they built a life most people in America can only dream of.

#11 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-01-21 11:51 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1