Monday, January 20, 2020

When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Again and again, we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force. The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to a distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize... We cannot walk alone. I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

Comments

Happy MLK day!

#1 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-20 07:25 AM | Reply

Old wisdom: "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character"

New wisdom: Judge people by what ethnic, gender, sexual-preference group they belong to.

#2 | Posted by nullifidian at 2020-01-20 09:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

At least you admit your prejudices Nulli, I'll give you that.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2020-01-20 09:45 AM | Reply

I never have judged Trump based on his Youppi-colored facial skin. As for content of his character. As Winston Wolf once said, "Just because you are a character doesn't mean that you have character."

And just because one has followers does not make one a leader (I said that). Just ask George Donner.

#4 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2020-01-20 10:03 AM | Reply

Letter from a Birmingham Jail

#5 | Posted by qcp at 2020-01-20 10:17 AM | Reply

MLK's dream has been realized. I am today judged on my abilities and my character and that's how I interact with people.

Thank You Dr. King. Rest easy. Your dream is realized.

#6 | Posted by boaz at 2020-01-20 10:26 AM | Reply | Funny: 4

I think we can be of different cultural backgrounds and differing ideas. We can recognize strength comes from our differences and also realize we have more in common than we know.

Shutting out others because they disagree does not further growth. When we at least honestly listen to others and honestly share ideas, each of us can grow even more in our personal beliefs or maybe even change them.

It is one of the cool things about living in a melting pot of a country. When you think about how homogeneous many countries are, it IS amazing that our melting pot works at all. Of course we have problems. Melting pots shouldn't work.

But we grow. Women can vote. Slavery is abolished. These things happened in spite of our melting pot society. Because we were able to grow.

Growth involves pain. *We still have a lot of growing to do.* That much is sure.

Now, do we want to grow while bashing each other or working together in spite of our differences?

#7 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-01-20 10:40 AM | Reply

Let your actions be your sermon ... not your words.

(exit stage left) and curtain.

cue Aretha www.youtube.com

#8 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2020-01-20 10:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I also believe...firmly....that there are good and decent Americans who identify as conservative and liberal. When you get past the name calling and the red state versus blue state allegiances and also get past having the fringe elements define any particular group, you can find that most people are decent, even the ones who disagree with you...

#7 | POSTED BY IDEPENDANT97

Whilst I completely agree you would probably be shocked to see how many people staunchly disagree with you and the numbers are quite a bit higher on the left than the right.

#9 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-01-20 10:56 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

What we have going on now in the Senate is pure conscientious stupidity.

#10 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2020-01-20 11:16 AM | Reply

The FBI is praising him on Twitter today.

First they criminalize your actions.

Then they kill you.

Then they pretend like they agreed with you all along.

#11 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2020-01-20 11:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#11 I'm giving you a NW. Good point.

#12 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-01-20 11:23 AM | Reply

Thank You Dr. King. Rest easy. Your dream is realized.

#6 | POSTED BY BOAZ

Thank you. I needed a good laugh this morning.

#13 | Posted by Sycophant at 2020-01-20 12:01 PM | Reply

Thank You Dr. King. Rest easy. Your dream is realized.

#6 | POSTED BY BOAZ

Unless they come from -------- nations.

#14 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-01-20 12:08 PM | Reply

Thank You Dr. King. Rest easy. Your dream is realized.
#6 | POSTED BY BOAZ

There is a 0% chance he'd agree with that, but thanks for reminding me how absolutely clueless you are.

#15 | Posted by JOE at 2020-01-20 12:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I am today judged on my abilities and my character "

So is your support for that Simon Legree clone currently in the White House.

#16 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2020-01-20 12:25 PM | Reply

"Top Trump adviser: Republicans have 'always' relied on voter suppression"

"One of Donald Trump's top re-election advisers told influential Republicans in swing state Wisconsin that the party has "traditionally" relied on voter suppression to compete in battleground states, according to an audio recording of a private event. The adviser said later that his remarks referred to frequent and false accusations that Republicans employ such tactics.

link thumbnail image
Will Trump's impeachment sway voters in the key state of Michigan?
But the report emerged just days after news that a conservative group is forcing Wisconsin to purge upwards of 230,000 people from state voter rolls more than a year earlier than planned, a move that would disproportionately affect Democrats before the 2020 election."

"Earlier this week Georgia proceeded with a mass purge of 300,000-plus voters from the rolls, despite an activist group founded by rising-star Democrat Stacey Abrams asking a court to halt the plan."

www.theguardian.com

MLK would have plenty to say about Republican voter suppression techniques.

#17 | Posted by danni at 2020-01-20 12:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

-I am today judged on my abilities and my character and that's how I interact with people.

In the real world.

But here, where we are infested with anonymous loud mouths who would never have the guts to talk to you in person the way they do here....you are definitely NOT judged that way.

Here, you're black who doesn't have the common courtesy to be liberal as well. That angers folks.

#18 | Posted by eberly at 2020-01-20 12:36 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

#19 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 12:58 PM | Reply

And how your Party held them down with empty promises, cell phones and smokes

#20 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 12:59 PM | Reply

cell phones

#20 | POSTED BY WISGOD

Trump phones?

#21 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2020-01-20 01:06 PM | Reply

Actually, Trump is only the person currently distributing Reagan phones.

#22 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2020-01-20 01:08 PM | Reply

If we where all the same color.. the racist of today would just focus on fat people, or red heads, or left handed people. There defect is a lack of self esteem.. and they need to vent it out by pointing out differences in others in an attempt to feel superior.. its pure weakness.. pity the fools

#23 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2020-01-20 01:14 PM | Reply

Oh, boy. Derp.

#24 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 01:15 PM | Reply

Who started the program?

Who is currently in charge of it?

#25 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2020-01-20 01:28 PM | Reply

"MLK would have something to say about the Black unemployment rate too, Danni Downer"

In this era of low unemployment it isn't that surprising that black unemployment is down but what happens when unemployment rises again. The old rule "Last in...First out" takes over again.

Long term, voting rights are more important and voter suppression by the GOP is a crime against democracy yet Republicans, such as yourself, never object to it even when it is so egregious as to be undeniable. I understand though, Republicans can't win without cheating. All Republicans are thus cheaters when they accept it without objection.

#26 | Posted by danni at 2020-01-20 01:48 PM | Reply

"And how your Party held them down with empty promises, cell phones and smokes"

What is enabling states, especially in the south, to get away with voter suppression schemes today? SC struck down parts of the Voting Rights Act which Democrats passed to insure that everyone's right to vote was protected, now Republicans have the power of the SC to undo 60 years of progress and they are busy trying to do exactly that right now.

#27 | Posted by danni at 2020-01-20 01:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I ---- on Trumpers equally because they're all deserving of ridicule. If Boaz happens to be black, that's just a coincidence.

#28 | Posted by JOE at 2020-01-20 02:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

You think Blacks are too stupid to give up what they've accomplished to vote for nothing than more empty promises? Massa Danni hopes so

#29 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 02:03 PM | Reply

College educated.
Married father.
Employed.

Joe is right!

#30 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2020-01-20 02:05 PM | Reply

Meanwhile, what about the impact MLK has had? Happy MLK Day!

#31 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-01-20 02:12 PM | Reply

"You think Blacks are too stupid to give up what they've accomplished to vote for nothing than more empty promises?"

Gee, how many black people will be affected when the SC strikes down Obamacare? Was Obamacare nothing? Not to millions of working class people it wasn't, it was the difference between having proper healthcare and nothing. Sure, if they are poor enough they qualify for Medicaid but what if they have a good job, a career, but can't afford health insurance for themselves and their families. What does Wisgod want to offer them? Racial epithets and bankruptcy.

#32 | Posted by danni at 2020-01-20 02:24 PM | Reply

I think they can thrive left to their own devices in this economy, Danni. Maybe that's why your Party is losing them. Empty Nester Party when it comes to minorities

#33 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 02:30 PM | Reply

Impact? My response to that would get me banned

#34 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 02:31 PM | Reply

Martin Luther King, Jr. worked hard to bring greater equality to America and ensure civil rights for all people, regardless of race. Notably, he brought publicity to major civil rights activities, emphasizing the importance of nonviolent protest.

In doing so, he modeled sound leadership to the African-American civil rights movement. What did Martin Luther King do to progress the civil rights movement? He stood as a pillar of hope and model of grace.

biography.yourdictionary.com

#35 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-01-20 02:35 PM | Reply

"He stood as a pillar of hope and model of grace."

He stood?
He marched.

#36 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-20 02:37 PM | Reply

He also got the girls, not that it's wrong

#37 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 02:38 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by nullifidian

That's the conventional Right Wing "wisdom" nothing new there. The fact that there has been so much push back from the right on the matter says it all.

Some Truths
- Not everything can be changed at once but without pressure making people uncomfortable change will not happen.
- We have come a long way since MLK's Dream Speech but there are a lot of people who would see us go right back to those times and worse.
- There is judging on both sides. The intolerant judge those who would be tolerant and are different. The tolerant judge those who are intolerant and fighting change. It would be better if nobody was judging but the tolerant are on the correct side when judging. I am well aware of the Paradox of tolerance - bottom line Tolerance of Intolerance is not acceptable.

#38 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-01-20 02:42 PM | Reply

Danni, ever hear of ObamaCare and it's subsidies? Remember?
If you can't, we all can.

#39 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 02:44 PM | Reply

Thank You Dr. King. Rest easy. Your dream is realized.

#6 | Posted by boaz

It has come a long way but far too many in this country still do NOT act or believe that. Nor do they judge you on your ability and character. I am white and I know this all to well. I know all too many people who WILL judge you on the color of your skin, your name, your accent. etc.

#40 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-01-20 02:53 PM | Reply

Baloney or your area is behind the times. We don't notice skin color but our County is very Republican. Maybe it's different in Democrat areas that want to control, not welcome

#41 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 03:01 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"And how your Party held them down with empty promises, cell phones and smokes"

No. First hand I will tell you it is their community leaders that "hold them down" as much as anyone else. I have seen it. It is not "the party".

Here's an example from just a couple years ago. There is a gathering of the local Black Church Leaders in town. A younger Black Pastor had the audacity to partner with a White Pastor and bring him to this meeting to present their effort. They gave the White pastor the cold shoulder. They pretty much refused to be at all involved or endorse the effort. Not only that but afterward they spelled out to the Black Pastor he was an Uncle Tom (not while the White Pastor was present and their words) for working with Whites. They laid out that they want control of "the community" and whites are not welcome. I know and respect both these pastors. They are genuinely good people trying to do good for their community. Their effort was quashed by greedy old power hungry men. THIS is my problem with Religion - this problem transcends race, creed and sect but it also says a lot about just who is "holding people down". These old pastors are the ones full of empty promises and deliberately so. I cannot imagine this city is the exception either.

#42 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-01-20 03:19 PM | Reply

I think they can thrive left to their own devices in this economy, Danni.
#33 | POSTED BY WISGOD

Spoiler alert: You're wrong.
"Since 1975, practically all the gains in household have gone to the top 20% of households."

#43 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-20 03:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Nice story but verified by what? They have voices so try listening today, not a couple years ago. If the ankle biters would leave Trump alone, he'd do more. But you can't have Blacks be equal, can you? Promise free stuff. Healthcare, college, prison reform. That's the ticket. Like a good Zoo!

#44 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 03:30 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#41 | Posted by wisgod

LMAO. Where do you live California? It's different in some areas of the country sure and with some employers as well, like government jobs. Big companies make an effort but it is still present. Smaller companies - it's rampant. I live in the Midwest. I work with mostly whites and I hear the comments. I know business owners and I hear the comments. I really hear it visiting folks in the rural areas. When I visit friends and family down south it is just as rampant. Some family friends in Georgia say things like "I'm not racist but..." then they go on to be full fledged racist. Sweetest people you could hope to meet and totally in denial on their racism.

#45 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-01-20 03:31 PM | Reply

I think they can thrive left to their own devices in this economy, Danni.

#33 | POSTED BY WISGOD

Cool story.

Now do Amazon, General Electric, Apple, Bristol Myers Squib, etc.

#46 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2020-01-20 03:32 PM | Reply

Link, Snoofly? Nobody buys your 1975 --------. Anything from 2019, stupid?

#47 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 03:32 PM | Reply

"If the ankle biters would leave Trump alone, he'd do more."

Even in victory, Trump is still a victim to you.
Because you are still a victim to you. A victim of the liberal agenda. You'll never recover.

#48 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-20 03:33 PM | Reply

"Link, Snoofly? Nobody buys your 1975 --------."

Wow.
Hint: Google "CIA World Factbook."
Your ignorance is terminal, but... just try.

#49 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-20 03:33 PM | Reply

Do? Now do? Wtf?

#50 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 03:33 PM | Reply

#44 | Posted by wisgod

If it hasn't changed all that much in 60 years what would a couple matter. I have been active in the community behind the scenes. I know a lot of the people involved and I am going to tell you nothing has changed.

#51 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-01-20 03:34 PM | Reply

World? Wtf, you stupid bitch? Trump was President since 1975? God damned idiot

#52 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 03:35 PM | Reply

#47 | Posted by wisgod

1975 Income Growth: Link - Just go to the economy section.

#53 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2020-01-20 03:37 PM | Reply

I've been active behind the scenes? Holy ----. That sure is changed my mind. Anything else that's as earth shattering?

#54 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 03:37 PM | Reply

It's 2020. What the ---- is your point?

#55 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 03:39 PM | Reply

I'll never recover? I voted for him, stupid. What am I recovering from?
Where are you and are they over serving?

#56 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 03:41 PM | Reply

But the world never forgot his contributions. Time magazine had named him "Man of the Year" in 1963. In 1964, he won the Nobel Peace Prize and was described as "the first person in the Western world to have shown us that a struggle can be waged without violence." In 1977, he was posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest award a civilian American can earn. In the 1980s, his birthday became a national holiday, creating an annual opportunity for Americans to reflect on the two values he dedicated his life to advancing: equality and nonviolence.

www.ushistory.org

#57 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-01-20 03:45 PM | Reply

"It's 2020. What the ---- is your point?"

That the economy has been on this trajectory since 1975.
What's your point? That the CIA is lying? LOL dude.

#58 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-20 03:52 PM | Reply

" In the 1980s, his birthday became a national holiday,"

Well, not so much in the parts of the nation called Arizona and South Carolina. en.wikipedia.org
We now return you to your regularly scheduled whitewash.

#59 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-20 03:55 PM | Reply

I apologize for cuss words but not for where they went. Quit underestimating the Black Community. We have whites that can't or won't help themselves either. In short, color has nothing to do with life and choices now.

#60 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 03:55 PM | Reply

The CIA is worried about Blacks? That's great. You think MLK would approve?

#61 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 03:57 PM | Reply

"Quit underestimating the Black Community."

Under-estimating that kind of poverty would be difficult to do.

How's this for an estimate:
According to the New York Times, for every $100 in white family wealth, black families hold just $5.04.
www.forbes.com

#62 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-20 03:58 PM | Reply

"We don't notice skin color"

Such ridiculous and senseless posturing.
Unless you're literally blind, you're gonna notice skin color.

#63 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-20 04:01 PM | Reply

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

#64 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-01-20 04:05 PM | Reply

"We don't notice skin color"

Such ridiculous and senseless posturing.
Unless you're literally blind, you're gonna notice skin color.

#63 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

I think he meant to say, "We don't care about skin color."

#65 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-01-20 04:08 PM | Reply

We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

I want to be the white man's brother, not his brother-in-law.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit together at the table of brotherhood.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

#66 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-01-20 04:12 PM | Reply

I think he meant to say, "We don't care about skin color."
#65 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

^
I completely believe both of you don't care that for every $100, black households have $5.
In addition to not thinking wealth inequality is a problem, you don't see how skin color is a factor in wealth inequality... other than the things blacks do to hold themselves back, of course!

#67 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-20 04:17 PM | Reply

"In short, color has nothing to do with life and choices now."

Wisgod thinks you can buy the same life choices for $5 as you can for $100.
JeffJ, you want in on this action?

#68 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-20 04:19 PM | Reply

-If Boaz happens to be black, that's just a coincidence.

--------

-But i can guarantee you that his experience doesn't generalize to blacks at large, and any honest person would agree with that.

What does that mean?

#69 | Posted by eberly at 2020-01-20 04:22 PM | Reply

"What does that mean?"

It means most Blacks aren't Trumpers.

#70 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-20 04:25 PM | Reply

Snoofy is too stupid to study history. J. Edgar Hoover under JFK was investigating King and had enough dirt on everyone to maintain power. The White Democrats were scared of what? You idiots need to read because the MSM won't tell you about what your own Party did to the man

#71 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 04:25 PM | Reply

"The White Democrats were scared of what?"

This is a reference to something that happened even earlier than 1975, isn't it?
I'm wondering why you suddenly pretend to care about things from way back then...

#72 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-20 04:27 PM | Reply

Snoofy, if you're going to speculate what I think off this site, do yourself a favor and place your money on I think you're an idiot.
You're welcome, dummy

#73 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 04:29 PM | Reply

Because it's history and not some half-assed link

#74 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 04:30 PM | Reply

"Snoofy, if you're going to speculate what I think off this site"

Is it not the same thing you think here?
You're a two-faced liar, then.
Congratualtions, you built that!

#75 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-20 04:30 PM | Reply

If 15% are, you're done. Chew on that. It will be more

#76 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 04:32 PM | Reply

We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

#77 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-01-20 04:33 PM | Reply

If 15% are what?
Convicted of a felony? No, that's much higher, like 33% of the male population.
15% as much wealth as whites? No, that's much lower, more like 6%.

#78 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-20 04:34 PM | Reply

Link, stupid? I doubt you're that stupid in the real world but it's possible. No doubt you still live at the Parents home being home schooled

#79 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 04:35 PM | Reply

15% vote for Trump. God damn, opioids are something

#80 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 04:36 PM | Reply

Good luck, everyone. You deal with this mess.

#81 | Posted by wisgod at 2020-01-20 04:38 PM | Reply

"Link, stupid?"

They are readily available facts.
Try finding them on your own before you come crying for help... or are we past the point where you're crying for help?

#82 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-20 04:38 PM | Reply

"15% vote for Trump."

36% of blacks who votes in 2012... didn't vote at all in 2016. www.washingtonpost.com
And, to your point, it certainly doesn't seem to be shaping up that way this time. GOP voter suppression drives notwithstanding.

#83 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-20 04:42 PM | Reply

Meanwhile...back to the topic of MLK?

#84 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-01-20 04:46 PM | Reply

I have decided to stick to love...Hate is too great a burden to bear.

Martin Luther King Jr.

#85 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-01-20 07:07 PM | Reply

Morgan Freeman has said that a way to stop racism is to stop bringing it up.
#76 | POSTED BY IDEPENDANT97

#86 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-20 07:29 PM | Reply

Dr. Martin Luther King is not a black hero. He is an American hero.

Morgan Freeman

#87 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-01-20 07:49 PM | Reply

Martin Luther King Jr. is remembered as our prince of peace, of civil rights. We owe him something major that will keep his memory alive.

Morgan Freeman

#88 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-01-20 07:52 PM | Reply

#86 Yes.

#89 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-01-20 07:55 PM | Reply

MLK was another black dude the child-raping orange schittstain wouldn't have rented an apartment to.

#90 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2020-01-21 06:03 AM | Reply

What does that mean?

I thought my post was pretty clear. What confused you?

#91 | Posted by JOE at 2020-01-21 08:35 AM | Reply

Does anyone have something positive to say about MLK?

#92 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-01-21 11:42 AM | Reply

Well I am thankful for MLK. Thank you Rcade for posting this at the top for as long as you did.

#93 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-01-21 04:04 PM | Reply

MLK Jr on Capitalism:

"And one day we must ask the question, Why are there forty million poor people in America? And when you begin to ask that question, you are raising questions about the economic system, about a broader distribution of wealth.' When you ask that question, you begin to question the capitalistic economy. And I'm simply saying that more and more, we've got to begin to ask questions about the whole society ... "
"Speech to Southern Christian Leadership Conference Atlanta, Georgia, August 16, 1967.

"Call it democracy, or call it democratic socialism, but there must be a better distribution of wealth within this country for all God's children."
" Speech to the Negro American Labor Council, 1961.

"We must recognize that we can't solve our problem now until there is a radical redistribution of economic and political power ... this means a revolution of values and other things. We must see now that the evils of racism, economic exploitation and militarism are all tied together ... you can't really get rid of one without getting rid of the others ... the whole structure of American life must be changed. America is a hypocritical nation and [we] must put [our] own house in order."
- Report to SCLC Staff, May 1967.

"The evils of capitalism are as real as the evils of militarism and evils of racism."
"Speech to SCLC Board, March 30, 1967.

"I am now convinced that the simplest approach will prove to be the most effective " the solution to poverty is to abolish it directly by a now widely discussed matter: the guaranteed income ... The curse of poverty has no justification in our age. It is socially as cruel and blind as the practice of cannibalism at the dawn of civilization, when men ate each other because they had not yet learned to take food from the soil or to consume the abundant animal life around them. The time has come for us to civilize ourselves by the total, direct and immediate abolition of poverty."
" Where do We Go from Here?, 1967.

"You can't talk about solving the economic problem of the Negro without talking about billions of dollars. You can't talk about ending the slums without first saying profit must be taken out of slums. You're really tampering and getting on dangerous ground because you are messing with folk then. You are messing with captains of industry. Now this means that we are treading in difficult water, because it really means that we are saying that something is wrong with capitalism."
" Speech to his staff, 1966.

"[W]e are saying that something is wrong ... with capitalism ... . There must be better distribution of wealth and maybe America must move toward a democratic socialism."
" Speech to his staff, 1966.

"If America does not use her vast resources of wealth to end poverty and make it possible for all of God's children to have the basic necessities of life, she too will go to hell."
- Speech at Bishop Charles Mason Temple of the Church of God in Christ in support of the Memphis sanitation workers' strike on March 18th, 1968, two weeks before he was assassinated.

www.commondreams.org

#94 | Posted by ClownShack at 2020-01-21 04:27 PM | Reply

MLK. Had a dream.

I bet it wasn't that someday a black man would be president. And then right after that a white man ( arguably A Orange man) will come along and try to undo everything that the black man had accomplished.

#95 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-01-21 05:13 PM | Reply

Sad that a man who's life should be celebrated is thrown into the ---------- displayed here on this thread.

#96 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-01-21 06:35 PM | Reply

#96 Very sad indeed. I am beyond saddened, surprised and frustrated.

#97 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-01-21 08:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1