Monday, January 20, 2020

Physical formats are cratering, but vinyl's niche is growing. Jack White and other experts explain the future of listening.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"I definitely believe the next decade is going to be streaming plus vinyl," says Jack White. "Streaming in the car and kitchen, vinyl in the living room and the den. Those will be the two formats. And I feel really good about that."

Comments

While I use Spotify and Soundhound, I'm still very attached to my CD's and vinyl.

#1 | Posted by 6thPersona at 2020-01-20 12:42 PM | Reply

I stream spotify. I have not bought a CD in two years.

#2 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-01-20 01:13 PM | Reply

It is not just music that is moving towards a subscriber-based business model.

HP is now shutting down people's printing capability if they do not pay the monthly ink-cartridge subscription.

twitter.com

...Apparently HP remotely disabled perfectly good ink cartridges because I don't pay a monthly fee?...

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-01-20 01:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This will be temporary.

#4 | Posted by Angrydad at 2020-01-20 04:20 PM | Reply

We still purchase CDs [used ones through Amazon] then load to our iTunes library as quite often it works out cheaper than buying the download.

Currently library is 11,508 items, 31.5 days, 88057 GB -- and growing : )

#5 | Posted by MSgt at 2020-01-20 06:13 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY MSGT

Have to check prices on used CDs here.
We get CDs from the library to copy. Selection isn't great, but the price is right.

#6 | Posted by 6thPersona at 2020-01-20 07:02 PM | Reply

If it cost, "owning" music will never die.

#7 | Posted by fresno500 at 2020-01-20 11:05 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY MSGT

This is wise ...

#8 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-01-20 11:17 PM | Reply

"owning" music will never die.
#7 | POSTED BY FRESNO500

The issue is inter-operability. Can I play it on headunit? stereo? phone? music player?

I would gladly pay once for a song on all format now and future.

But to pay by "format" is silly.

#9 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-01-20 11:19 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Youtube + bluetooth + ad block and you've got access to every song ever, plus it's remix, for free. Connect to pretty much all modern speakers, receivers, head units, etc. You don't even need storage, just a data plan that doesn't suck.

#10 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-01-21 09:15 AM | Reply

When I was in HS the Houston rappers all sold "screw tapes" and CD's they had burned themselves out of car trunks on random corners. If they were successful, or really sold drugs, they had amazing "popped trunks" heavily detailed out with custom paint, speakers, neons, etc. Good times.

#11 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2020-01-21 09:18 AM | Reply

Youtube-dl... that is the magic linux app that downloads anything and everything video or audio on any webpage. The whole video or with just the sound ripped out.

Put it on your phone and go into the world and enjoy .... get run over by a bus while crossing the street.. you go flying in one direction, bluetooth earpieces go flying in the other..... couldn't hear the bus honking with all that loud music playing, eh?

#12 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2020-01-21 09:59 AM | Reply

Nowadays I use the no-rush shipping option on Amazon Prime. It rewards you with $1 credit for digital products. I have not paid for a downloaded album in over a year.

#13 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-01-21 11:56 AM | Reply