Saturday, January 25, 2020

The District of Columbia is suing President Donald Trump's inaugural committee and two companies that control the Trump International Hotel in the nation's capital, accusing them of throwing parties for the Trump family with nonprofit funds, and overpaying for event space at the hotel.

Comments

The only way this would have been more obvious is if Ivanka had been holding a silk pillowcase in the inauguration reception line for people to stuff $100 bills into.

OCU

#1 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-01-22 11:10 AM | Reply

From the day he said he would he would not take money from wealthy donors or lobbyists the grifting started.

Once he saw how much he could skim off the top to his businesses the floodgates were open and he quickly started taking money from everyone including lobbyists.

He does not know how to keep a promise or tell the truth. Ask any one of his wives. They've all been cheated on and lied to.

#2 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-01-22 11:15 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Doesn't matter to his base.

They're the kind of people who send their life's savings to a TV preacher who says God wants him to have a new private jet.

They're beyond help.

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-22 11:16 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 11

Those concerns included a written warning that the price proposal was at least twice the market rate. But Gates went through with it anyway, at a cost of $1.03 million, the suit says.

What was is the "market rate"?

Is the Trump International Hotel nicer than the "market average". Is event space go for more than "market" rate during the inauguration?

The better the room the greater the multiple.

There is a lack of scientific due diligence here, which I would have thought our resident "scientist" would have asked.

But he didn't he's beyond help, so far in a the morass he can't see straight. He's not called JPickledW for nothing.

#4 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-01-22 11:56 AM | Reply | Funny: 3

"What was is the "market rate"? "

What that hotel gets on the open market when prices are NOT being jacked-up.

"There is a lack of scientific due diligence here"

Nonsense. Rack rates are easily accessible.

#5 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-01-22 12:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

There is a lack of scientific due diligence here...

#4 | Posted by AndreaMackris

What we need here is a forensic accountant rather than a scientist.

OCU

#6 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-01-22 12:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Has anyone ever gone to a convention in Vegas? When I goto Vegas I pay way over the market rate, because rooms are in short supply."

the market rate doesn't stay fixed...convention season the market prices go up....middle of july...they go down. so do the rates for golf and other things. IOW, you didn't pay above market rate...you payed the market rate, likely.

Before the end of the Chiefs game Sunday...flights from KC to Miami went up $400.

#7 | Posted by eberly at 2020-01-22 12:11 PM | Reply

"This is why this crap shouldn't be allowed. Look at what we're arguing about. a stupid hotel rate."
Probably part of the reason there is the Emoluments Clause in the Constitution. Question for Dems...why wasn't that one of the impeachment charges? There are easily proven examples of egregious violations with witnesses who could testify without Trump claiming Executive Privelege or National Security excuses.

#8 | Posted by danni at 2020-01-22 12:21 PM | Reply

Mackris and nonsense are synonyms.

#9 | Posted by Corky at 2020-01-22 01:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

-Question for Dems...why wasn't that one of the impeachment charges?

I don't know but you know there is an answer.

#10 | Posted by eberly at 2020-01-22 02:24 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by AndreaMackris

All I see is more knobgobbling by our local TDS expert.

#11 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-22 03:52 PM | Reply

It should be easy to review hotel charges and changes during inauguration for other DC hotels.

How many multiples above the norm does it take to qualify as graft?

#12 | Posted by bored at 2020-01-22 08:22 PM | Reply

When conferences are booked, they negotiate a discounted rate in exchange for booking the hotel. If you are paying more than room rate then you're stupid.

#13 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-01-23 06:49 AM | Reply

Probably because proving it would involve getting Fat Nixon to turn over his business records. Since he is the most transparent president ever, that would not happen.

#14 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-01-23 06:51 AM | Reply

Doesn't matter to his base.

They're beyond help.

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-22 11:16 AM | Reply | Flag

#Cult45

#15 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-01-23 06:52 AM | Reply

TV preacher who says God wants him to have a new private jet.

There is no shortage of extremely stupid people in the world.

www.legalreader.com

"These superstar ministers are perfectly comfortable in their justifications for traveling the globe to various ministry sites in multi-million dollar private jets. As Duplantis calls his, the "plane that God so graciously gave us." That alone should make his followers feel peace that passes all understanding. After all, if God is handing out private jets, then followers' hard-earned tithes are going to help the poor of the world!"

Explains the power of #Cult45

#16 | Posted by Nixon at 2020-01-23 07:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The Russia collusion crap was pure garbage. The allegations of gritting are both serious and credible.

#17 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-01-24 08:52 AM | Reply

Grifting

#18 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-01-24 08:56 AM | Reply

A grifter deserves a sting with Scott Joplin music in the background and full documentation.

#19 | Posted by grumpy_too at 2020-01-25 07:50 PM | Reply

If he stole an article of clothing from a store, he'd be in jail. He steals billions from us, and he's President.

#20 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2020-01-25 10:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#17 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

No, it wasn't pure garbage.

He was just surrounded by people at the time who were more competent and subtle than now, so they approached the line of illegality and stayed right at it.

Reading between the lines it's clear what happened.

My guess is there's likely multiple, impeachment worthy scandals we don't know about. If we ever get rid of Commodus Trumpus I'm afraid of what we'll learn.

#21 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-26 09:23 AM | Reply

Working for the government you never pay the market rate. You paid a rate agreed upon and that is usually less than market rate as the government always gets a group rate. Hotels always set aside a block of rooms at the "government rate". You can google the per diem rates. And rooms are always priced lower or at per diem for government workers.

I have attended several government conferences in Vegas. My room costs were always below "market rate". Never once did I pay what civilians paid to stay there. The government rate was always less. If it was not less than market rate then we would have paid the lesser amount. By law. But that never happened. Not once. If you cannot get the per diem rate you then have to apply for a higher than per diem reimbursement. It becomes a nightmare to book rooms at higher than per diem rates.

But I suppose Humpy cold wave his hand and make he paperwork go away to justify the huge rates since he owned the hotel and controlled the government. Humpy is working both sides of those marks.

#22 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-01-26 01:07 PM | Reply

The Russia collusion crap was pure garbage.

No evidence of collusion is not the same as no collusion. There was plenty of cooperation. Humpy was able to dodge that bullet by obstruction of Congress.

The same way he is trying to block his impeachment. Obstruction of Congress is a crime. We will soon see if the Senate gives him and all future presidents that power forever.

#23 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-01-26 01:11 PM | Reply

"The Russia collusion crap was pure garbage."

Mean to quote that nonsense.

Someone hasn't read the mueller report very closely.

The President was NOT exonerated.

#24 | Posted by donnerboy at 2020-01-26 01:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The President was NOT exonerated.- DB.

That's not the job of report.

The fact he wasn't charged is all that matters.

He can't be exonerated, as there is no crime.

#25 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2020-01-26 01:54 PM | Reply

"Working for the government you never pay the market rate. And rooms are always priced lower or at per diem for government workers.

POSTED BY DONNERBOY "

LOL The second the word "government" or anything having to do with the government is attached to something the cost skyrockets. See also $600 hammers and $150 toothbrushes. I witnessed this myself.

Last October my ship had a reunion in San Antonio. The newsletter said a group rate had been negotiated with La Quinta on the River Walk for $160/night. I thought that was pretty high for San Antonio, but it didn't matter to me since I live here and I would go home every night. Also, rooms can be more expensive on the River Walk.

The last night of the reunion I decided to stay the night so I could drink. I went to the desk to book a room and asked for the group rate for the USS Montgomery reunion. I was told it was too late to get that rate, and besides I would have had to stay three nights to get it. So I said to book me at the normal rate. That was $155, $5 less than the group rate! It gets better. I asked if they had a veteran discount (most hotels do) They said yes. IIRC, it was another $10 cheaper. So that brought my rate down to $145.

I told the president of the ship's alumni organization after I booked my room. He was fuming. Not only did the hotel not give a cheaper group rate, they didn't even figure in a veteran's discount when we were all obviously veterans! I'm sure when the hotel saw "USS Montgomery" and "US Navy" they jacked the prices up.

The president of the alumni organization was going to get with the hotel to get a refund for our shipmates. I haven't heard how that turned out. I would not have wanted to be the hotel booking agent who dealt with him. LOL

La Quinta used to be high on my list of hotel choices. No more. That blatant rip-off was inexcusable.

#26 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-26 02:14 PM | Reply

The President was NOT exonerated.

That's not the job of report.

#25 | Posted by AndreaMackris

Perhaps, but that's NOT the spin that Trump and Bill Barr put on it. They've treated it as an exoneration from the get-go, and that's also how Faux News has been telling it ever since the report came out.

OCU

#27 | Posted by OCUser at 2020-01-26 04:37 PM | Reply

"What was is the "market rate"?"

The rack rates, a fact that was pointed out upthread. Do you know what "rack rates" are?

You're not really interested in the truth, are you?

#28 | Posted by Danforth at 2020-01-27 09:53 AM | Reply

Do you know what "rack rates" are?

#28 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

Her double D's are a tad saggy. I rack rate her a 7. That other chick's C-cups on the other hand....I rack rate her a 9.5!

#29 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-01-27 10:26 AM | Reply