Thursday, January 23, 2020

PBS NewsHour Press Release: It is with great sadness that I share the news that co-founder and longtime anchor of the PBS NewsHour Jim Lehrer died today, Thursday, January 23, 2020, peacefully in his sleep at home. Lehrer, born May 19, 1934, served as anchor of the NewsHour for 36 years before retiring in 2011. Lehrer and Robert MacNeil founded the program in 1975, out of their 1973 coverage of the Senate Watergate Hearings on PBS.

Comments

He was certainly less biased than those hacks that currently moderate debates.

#1 | Posted by nullifidian at 2020-01-23 05:24 PM | Reply

R.I.P.

#2 | Posted by Idependant97 at 2020-01-23 08:36 PM | Reply

Lehrer carried on Cronkite's legacy of integrity and factual legitimacy with the public back when there were such things as facts.

He may have died of sadness at our current state fact-free perception-based hyperbole accepted as news. I mean, how dare people point out a President lies every day and a Party that isn't interested in facts.

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2020-01-23 09:21 PM | Reply

"Seldom a day goes by, that I don't know that I am doing something because of something I learned in the Marine Corps," [Lehrer] said at a 2010 parade the Corps put on, in his honor.

#4 | Posted by qcp at 2020-01-23 09:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"He may have died of sadness.."

Please, I'm sure Lehrer was above that sort of thing.

He witnessed and reported events and under circumstances 1000% worse than today.

#5 | Posted by eberly at 2020-01-23 09:48 PM | Reply

I think you missed Corky's point in his first sentence, assuming Corky was talking about all news outlets in that sentence. The rest of his post was pure DorkusDrivel (tm)

One of my favorite Jim Lehrer quotes:

"I'm not in the judgment part of journalism."

#6 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-01-23 10:41 PM | Reply

RIP Fellow Kansan.

#7 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2020-01-23 10:48 PM | Reply

#6 |

RoCheneyisms... your party doesn't believe in what Jim Lehrer thrived on; facts.

#8 | Posted by Corky at 2020-01-24 12:17 AM | Reply

So sad, I try to defend Dorkus' almost indefensible retort and he just can't help pumping the crazy in response.

#9 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2020-01-24 12:25 AM | Reply

I'm curious to hear what Chairborne has to say about him now that he's passed.

#10 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-01-24 07:09 AM | Reply