Friday, January 24, 2020

Jamil Smith: What do the senate impeachment trial and the Virginia gun rally have in common?

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Comments

When did Rolling Stone become a less intellectual version of Counterpunch?

I guess if it were intellectual, it wouldn't hold as much appeal for it's teenage audience.

#1 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-01-24 12:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Sorry the truth hurts, dude.

Trump is, above all else, a symptom of old scared white people lashing out in desperation.

#2 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-24 12:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"They'd rather pull the house down around them then fathom anybody else having it as good or better than them."

You do realize the Bernie Sanders entire platform is about suppressing those who have become successful because others have not.

I'm not disagreeing with you completely. I think there are a lot of people uncomfortable with the rigid, "woke" doctrine being pushed by the left. And they see Trump as a counter-balance to that.

But I think there are also those who vote for Trump because they view the Democrats as going further and further left. Personally, I don't know that they are, but the loudest supporters-those in the activist class, tend not only to drown out all the others, but eviscerate them when they deviate from far left doctrine that they see is being essential in creating a revolutionary change.

As I've said before-I hate Trump. But I would vote for him in an instant if Bernie is the Dem candidate.

#3 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-01-24 01:37 PM | Reply

I'm not a fan of Sanders.

But much of what he's running on is better characterized as the government working for the majority, not the minority.

I think that's taking the loud far left and believing that they're the majority.

In any case I think the "blood sells" media approach as convinced people that the middle, more moderate types are a small minority when I would be willing to bet we're by far the majority. We just have other stuff to do and don't pay as much attention as we should to the going ons around us.

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-24 02:43 PM | Reply

#3 | Posted by madbomber

If you HATE trump, but you'd vote for him over sanders, then what about sanders do you hate MORE than trump?
Helping sick people get help? Helping students not be trapped in the bankers' debt trap? Trying to protect the ecosystem? You HATE those things more than you hate trump?

#5 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2020-01-24 06:53 PM | Reply

Really, you're not voting Libertarian this time?

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-24 06:55 PM | Reply

I won't vote for Sanders or Warren.

I can't imagine a scenario where I'd vote for Trump.

I'm not a Biden fan and I have some concern he's losing mental acuity, but he's a sane choice and if the election were tomorrow I'd unenthusiastically vote for him.

I like Gabbard but she's made no real move in the primary. So, it looks like I'll either vote Biden or 3rd party.

#7 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-01-24 07:04 PM | Reply

I do feel that Sanders is honest about who he is and what he is for. I don't get that same feeling with Warren.

#8 | Posted by JeffJ at 2020-01-24 07:05 PM | Reply

Are any women honest?
How about Sarah Palin?

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-24 07:08 PM | Reply

"Yeah because you'd rather have a con man crook in charge than a guy who will fight back against the bankers."

That con-man crook is damaging this country. Bernie is out to destroy it.

In all honesty, even if he were elected, I don't think he would get anything done. His legislative record is abysmal due to his position on the far left. Republicans wouldn't work with him at all. I don't think many Dems would either.

But that doesn't change the fact that he is looking to push revolutionary change down our throats, whether we want it or not.

#10 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-01-25 04:26 AM | Reply

"Bernie is the true existential threat that all those other Deplorables thought Hillary represented?"

I think so, but I'm an econ nerd. I look at Bernie as being our (US) Salvador Allende. Someone who would happily dismantle personal and economic freedom in the interest of ideology.

If the Dems nominate anyone other than Bernie, they'll get my vote. I want Trump gone. But not if it means a worse, left-wing version of Trump coming to power.

#11 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-01-25 04:30 AM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

If people elect him that's hardly what you describe.

Welcome to reality.

If anything, it's the GOP pushing things down our throats (god I hate that phrase) with their stacking of the courts with unqualified loons.

#12 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-25 08:46 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

" I'll be damned if I subscribe to some notion that hundreds of thousands of angry white men with guns storming into town is in any way "nonviolent.""

Yet that is exactly what happened: it was nonviolent.

What drivel.

#13 | Posted by drivelikejehu at 2020-01-25 08:47 AM | Reply

Dems better put someone better than Hillary up, because THAT old, scared, crooked whites woman is the reason Trump is president.

80%-90% of people who voted for Trump were voting AGAINST her.

I voted for Bill and I NEVER would have voted for her.

#14 | Posted by drivelikejehu at 2020-01-25 08:51 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

With the TDS peddle to the metal, noones mind is being changed.

#15 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2020-01-25 09:08 AM | Reply

"If people elect him that's hardly what you describe."

He's not being honest. He's making the argument that he can take from the rich and give to the less rich. You can only do that if the rich are willing to do so.

At the same time, his plan is to prohibit private healthcare. That's pretty much unprecedented in the western world.

I don't disagree with you though...if Bernie and his vision is what this country wants, then it's also what they deserve. Plenty of other countries for me to move to.

#16 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-01-25 09:09 AM | Reply

"What are you miserable hate mongers gonna do when Trump is voted in for another 4 years?"

Complain about bankers, the rich, and the EC. Pretty much the same as they're doing now.

#17 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-01-25 09:10 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

A Third Party protest vote or abstaining is a vote for Fat Nixon, AKA the Candycorn Skidmark!

#18 | Posted by john47 at 2020-01-25 09:19 AM | Reply

#15 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at

Don't worry. We'll keep kissing his ass your job.

#19 | Posted by Zed at 2020-01-25 09:25 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

-Complain about bankers, the rich, and the EC.

Don't forget about the racists.....and most of all...YOU GUYS

#20 | Posted by eberly at 2020-01-25 09:25 AM | Reply

"White fragility" is one of those ridiculous phrases invented by self-loathing, white, privileged progressives. It's one of those pseudo-psychological terms that SJWs drop into coffee-shop conversations to show how inclusive and woke they are.

#RollingStoneSoWhite

#21 | Posted by nullifidian at 2020-01-25 09:57 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Actually, it's an accurate description of people like you Nulli.

Bitter, angry and above all else afraid.

#22 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-25 11:42 AM | Reply

"Bitter, angry and above all else afraid."

Spare me...

Trump is bad...but not nearly as bad as the left makes him out to be.

...and most would eagerly install their own version of Trump, provided he moved the progressive ball a little closer to the goal line.

Anyone who supports Bernie has no business criticizing Trump. He's as ignorant and uniformed and petty as DJT...He just leans further to the left.

#23 | Posted by madbomber at 2020-01-25 12:39 PM | Reply

Don't worry. We'll keep kissing his ass
#19 | POSTED BY ZED"

You should.

#24 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2020-01-25 01:56 PM | Reply

Trump is bad...but not nearly as bad as the left makes him out to be.

He's exactly as bad as portrayed.

#25 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-25 04:47 PM | Reply

"Trump is bad...but not nearly as bad as the left makes him out to be."

^
I'd love to see the math on this one...

#26 | Posted by snoofy at 2020-01-25 04:57 PM | Reply