Friday, January 24, 2020

While the concept of storing water in a copper water bottle or other copper vessel arose centuries ago and has its origins in Ayurvedic principles, the practice is gaining increasing attention from the scientific community.

In fact, several recent studies have substantiated that drinking water stored in a copper vessel is a safe and beneficial health practice. In this blog post, we'll summarize the results of three recent scientific studies concerning the use of copper water vessels as well as a report from the World Health Organization.

Comments

"In one recent study, which was published in the Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition, scientists studied the effect of storing water in a copper pot on microbially-contaminated drinking water, including harmful bacteria such as E.coli and salmonella.

In particular, scientists stored water contaminated with this bacteria in copper pots for 16 hours at room temperature.

Incredibly, following the 16-hour storage period, the scientists were unable to recover any bacteria from the water. In addition, the scientists found that the water's pH level had increased, meaning that it had naturally become more alkaline. As other studies have shown, natural alkaline water has a variety of health benefits."

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2020-01-24 03:17 PM | Reply

I just rub two Lincolns together and pop one after a drink

#2 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2020-01-24 03:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

If the article weren't from a site whose first link at the top is a shopping link to buy copper water bottles, I'd probably take it more seriously.

It reminds me of the Mercola self-promoting website.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-01-24 03:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I don't know about this... what if I just drank water which didn't already have e.coli present?

#4 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2020-01-24 03:57 PM | Reply

Yeah, and the article site did the 3 scientific studies and paid off the WHO.

Here, let me do your due diligence for you:

www.researchgate.net

also cited in the NCBI

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

www.who.int

Copper is the only metal registered with the EPA to continuously kill bacteria, yeasts and viruses on contact.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

A little research on your part might make you take the information more seriously. The effects of copper on bacteria have long been known, these studied confirm the effects... and the point of the new research is that is safe per the WHO guidelines.

I would hold your hand a little longer, but it's kinda sweaty to be honest.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2020-01-24 04:19 PM | Reply

@#5 ... A little research on your part might make you take the information more seriously. ...

Or maybe a better presentation on your part, and not using a biased site. ;)

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-01-24 04:56 PM | Reply

@#4 ... what if I just drank water which didn't already have e.coli present? ...

That thought crossed my mind as well.

Like so many of the fake health-oriented sites, it seems this site is trying to get you to buy something you probably don't need.

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-01-24 05:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Travelers on the Oregon Trail used to put a silver dollar in their water casks and fresh milk. They had learned that it delayed spoilage.

#8 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2020-01-24 05:44 PM | Reply

LOL what do think happens when it hits your pH 1-3 stomach?

#9 | Posted by jpw at 2020-01-24 10:21 PM | Reply

Copper's toxic properties have been used industrially for a long time. E.G., the sea water coming into an oil rig for cooling, fire fighting, ballast, etc. is passed between a copper and aluminum anode and cathode with a small current (~350 mA) passing between them. Both anode and cathode are sacrificial and a small amount of each is leached into the water. This kills the crap that would otherwise grow in ballast tanks, clog pumps, etc. As and ET, one of my jobs was to maintain this system called the cathodic protection system

#10 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-24 11:14 PM | Reply

I've known about the anti-microbial properties of copper for a long time. Hospitals are just now figuring out that all door-knobs need to be copper. And all horizontal surfaces where they can.

#11 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2020-01-25 06:31 AM | Reply

Speaking of e.coli... I wonder how well those copper water bottles would work for storing and shipping romaine lettuce?

Maybe the headline really should be:

You've Packaging Romaine Lettuce Wrong Your Whole Life

#12 | Posted by LampLighter at 2020-01-25 11:16 AM | Reply

#10 GOATMAN

Everything is poison, nothing is poison.

Ionic copper does appear to reverse greying, enhancing the red in hair.

#13 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2020-01-25 05:02 PM | Reply

My water comes from copper pipes.

#14 | Posted by bored at 2020-01-26 12:06 PM | Reply

Interesting.

We'd had copper water filters before.

#15 | Posted by eberly at 2020-01-26 02:00 PM | Reply

It seems FB and the internet in general always have these "You've been doing [this] wrong your whole life". Well, somehow I cheated the odds and have survived.

#16 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-26 02:19 PM | Reply

"My water comes from copper pipes.

#14 | POSTED BY BORED "

It may travel through copper pipes the last twenty feet, but I highly doubt it's copper beyond that.

#17 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-26 02:21 PM | Reply

The water sits in your pipes when you're not using it, Goatman.

#18 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2020-01-26 03:23 PM | Reply

"The water sits in your pipes when you're not using it, Goatman.

#18 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT "

That explains the lack of flooding in my house.

#19 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-26 03:25 PM | Reply

"I'm showing this to my wife. We might have some sort of copper pot in our kitchen by the end of the week.

#15 | POSTED BY EBERLY "

Show her this as well:

"Intentionally high intakes of copper can cause liver and kidney damage and even death"

www.atsdr.cdc.gov

The way I see this (and all these "you're doing it wrong" things) is that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you aren't showing signs of copper deficiency, there is no need to rush out and buy new cookware or replace your plumbing. Especially cookware. If the issue is "it kills germs", well, doesn't cooking?

If I allowed myself to be sucked in by all these "you are doing it wrong" things I'm bombarded with weekly, I'd go crazy, especially since so many of them contradict each other.

Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

#20 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-26 03:32 PM | Reply

Silver is an awesome germ killer.. old folks used to put a silver dollar in the milk pitcher for assurance.. militaries would impregnate their socks with it to keep their armies from getting fungal infections in their feet since they could only bathe occasionally.

#21 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-01-26 08:56 PM | Reply

#22 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2020-01-26 08:59 PM | Reply

"A lot of the new ceramic 1/2 micron filters are impregnated with silver for more protection against illnesses.

#22 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS "

I wonder if drinking that water keeps vampires away, or is the concentration of silver not great enough?

I've seen ads for silver underwear that is supposed to be able to be worn for a week at a time. Um, thanks, but no thanks.

#23 | Posted by goatman at 2020-01-26 10:39 PM | Reply | Funny: 1